OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 16:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 16:09 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Well done Haggisv :clap: .
From the draw it looks like your team and the one with Scott H. will be in the top 2.
It's always good to play against better players, as it pushes you to do better.

I've been playing in Croydon for about 3 years and I oscillate between A3 & B1 grade.
This season, they put me up in A2 as the 3rd player.

I have a 27% win rate so far. But percentage of wins is just one parameter to gauge your performance. Qualitatively, you will notice that your reflex would have become faster, you are more aware as to where to place the ball, you tighten up your serves etc....

As everything else in life, pressure will always present itself, it is how you respond that determines whether you come up a winner or a whiner.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 16:23 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
AA wrote:
@haggisv- dude, werent you to provide us with a video of you playing?? we are still waiting... :D |( :?: :punch:

When in Adelaide recently i was lucky enough to play several games against haggisv. I'm no champ but not hopeless either, being ranked about 8th out of 60 at our club. Well haggisv smashed me. Game shoes started something like 2,1,2 then i think he took it easy as i did manage 4,5 and maybe 6 points, followed by another 2. He plays several levels above what i am used to and did it with ease. Really enjoyed the hit though, and gave me an appreciation of how good these guys are.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2015, 17:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Cobalt wrote:
When in Adelaide recently i was lucky enough to play several games against haggisv. I'm no champ but not hopeless either, being ranked about 8th out of 60 at our club. Well haggisv smashed me. Game shoes started something like 2,1,2 then i think he took it easy as i did manage 4,5 and maybe 6 points, followed by another 2. He plays several levels above what i am used to and did it with ease. Really enjoyed the hit though, and gave me an appreciation of how good these guys are.

Really enjoyed our hit too, and meeting a fellow forum member :rock:
Nope, I didn't let up in the last few games, and kept trying hard (which you requested), but you started to adjust to the higher spin and speed to win some more points, which is to your credit. :up: When you started getting too close, I had to call it quits of course. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 00:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I wonder if we will ever see each other at the opposite ends of the table Haggisv?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 08:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I wonder if we will ever see each other at the opposite ends of the table Haggisv?

I think I'd rather see you on the same side. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 10:47 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Reb and Haggisv.
You can both aim to be in the 2019 Australian Veterans Table Tennis Championships which will most likely be held in Adelaide :) , will be a good match up!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 17:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

arlene wrote:
Reb and Haggisv.
You can both aim to be in the 2019 Australian Veterans Table Tennis Championships which will most likely be held in Adelaide :) , will be a good match up!

That sounds like a great plan :up:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 17:41 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Hopefully masters games in Mt Gambier 2018, at least you can meet half way. :)

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 20:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Cobalt wrote:
Hopefully masters games in Mt Gambier 2018, at least you can meet half way. :)

That sounds good too!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 12:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well we had our first night of competition, and here are some of the highlights (and lows). :oops:

On the night I discovered that doubles matches has been removed, in an attempt make the night a little shorter, which had been a concern for many people. So every member in our 4 member team plays 3 singles, so a total of 12 matches. If it's 6-6, we count the sets to decide the winner, if it's still the same, it's a Draw.

Anyway, our first night with the new (DHS) plastic balls. Although I play to enjoy and I'm not too fused about losing games, the first night always brings a sense of tension. As the #2 players in the team, first up I played their #4. I felt quite tense the first game, and it was a scrappy game which I lost 10-6. The next 3 games I started to easy in and attack a lot more, and I won them comfortably, winning my first match for the season. :party:

Next up, I played their #1, who I've not beaten in the last 2 years. Games were pretty good standard with lots of good ralleys, but he really started to get into his groove, and won the first 2 sets. After the 2nd set I had a chat with our #1 (who's a level 3 coach as well, so quite handy :oops: ), who pointed out I really needed to mix things up more, as my shots were too predictable. Although I knew already this is what I needed to do agaist this player, it seems I really wasn't doing this.
So I started to twiddle the bat more, loop to the opposite side of there I normally loop, and really mixing it up, and it started to work :up:
The next 2 sets were tight, but I won both of them, and I could see he wasn't as comfortable as he was earlier on. The last set was tight as well, and I kept mixing it up, and I ended up winning this 10-8. :rock:

Team wise, we kept swapping the lead, and the winner would be decided by the last 4 matches.

My last match was against their #2, who was new to our competition so his level was unknown. He's a young guy, and we found out that he was a former national level player in Vietnam :o He beat our #1 in 3 hard fought sets, so I knew is was going to be tough.
He's very quick and hits very fast, so I know I really needed to keep things tight, use the pimples to disrupt him, and try to slow down the game. The first game was close where we both started getting use to each other serves, and I lost this one with too many fast loops getting past me. Second set I changed serves to try and get him to push, so that I could put up a slow spinny loop, as I discovered he had a lot of trouble handling these. I started winning almost every point where I managed to loop, as I was getting loads of spin on the ball, and the ball really kicked on the table. With my currently setup and with the DHS balls, I feel like I'm getting more spin than with the celluloid ball! A slow high spin ball is a real weapon. Anyway, I still lost the 2nd set after being 10-8 up, but won the 3rd set. The 4th set was very close again and we got to 10-10 and continued to change the lead, but I eventually lost the game. Still I was happy with my performance, and feel that I'll improve more as I get used to my new bat and I get some more practice sessions in.

Unfortunately we lost 7-5, although things were very close and it could have gone either way.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 12:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

I think I'd rather see you on the same side. :oops: :lol:

That could be fun too. Most people love the attacks I set them up for ;) :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 12:50 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Well done haggisv, great start to the season. Nice to see a change of plan getting results, not something i do enough of.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 13:50 
Super User

Looks like you are out there to give the opposition a hard time haggisv ;) The score and write up certainly reflects it was a great match and although lost, it was not a bad defeat at all. Overall a good start to the season. Keep it up! :up:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 23:47 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I have found the exact same thing about looping slow with lots of spin with the new ball. It bounces lower than the old and moves a little slower so the spin seem to grip opponents bat more. Especially with VS 401 on VKM this worked. It was not as pronounced with DHS H3-50 but still ok.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015, 02:40 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Victas is getting a good rep with the plastic ball.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next