OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 16:33 
Super User

After struggling with SP on my BH for the past month, I switched my Spectol Speed to my FH and, voila, everything became natural and easy! At this stage, I'm thinking of making a permanent switch to a shakehand inverted BH / SP FH player. Mainly planning to attack, attack, attack on my FH, both close to the table and, if possible mid-court as well.

So far my Spectol Speed 1.8mm seems to be working, but was wondering whether people would recommend a different SP for this style.

Cheers
PK

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 20:18 

In general my point of view is that grippy SPs (Friendship 802-40, TSP Super Spinpips, Andro Blowfish etc) suit FH side better than classic ones. They allow more variety of spin.
It would be interesting for you to check videos with Zhan Jian and Mattias Karlsson. They both play with short pips FH and inverted BH. The former uses Haifu Dolphin (previously Friendship 802-40) and the latter uses Yasaka Rakza PO (previously Yasaka Xtend PO). All these pips are quite grippy.
But it's not strict rule, maybe less grippy pips are just right for you. I'd recommend to analyze your FH game and think about desirable characteristics of pips for this game.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2015, 12:37 
Super User

Alx wrote:
In general my point of view is that grippy SPs (Friendship 802-40, TSP Super Spinpips, Andro Blowfish etc) suit FH side better than classic ones. They allow more variety of spin.
It would be interesting for you to check videos with Zhan Jian and Mattias Karlsson. They both play with short pips FH and inverted BH. The former uses Haifu Dolphin (previously Friendship 802-40) and the latter uses Yasaka Rakza PO (previously Yasaka Xtend PO). All these pips are quite grippy.
But it's not strict rule, maybe less grippy pips are just right for you. I'd recommend to analyze your FH game and think about desirable characteristics of pips for this game.

Thanks Alx

Makes sense that the grippier SP would suit FH since it gives you a little more variety of strokes to play.
I assume, also, you would need to go max sponge? Especially if you want the flexibility to play close-to-table and mid-court?

I'll stick with my spectol speed for now, but a friend of mine is getting TSP super spinpips soon so I will have a chance to try that out for comparison.

I watched those two gentleman. I think my aim is to develop my game along the lines of Zhan Jian in particular. That seems to be my natural inclination.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2015, 13:13 

in my humble opinion:if you are patient and do not smash any push to your fh ,spectol is fine becouse you can play counter attack or small topspin and drive but if you a re not patient and want to attack powerfull any push i recommend a spinny sp so you can topspin powerfull.post your s game video

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2015, 22:54 

Coming from forehand inverted at first I played with Stiga Royal 2,0 mm and I really enjoyed a very fast hit/smash game, but with this non grippy short pip my services were killed by opponents. After this I started to test TSP Super spinpips 2,0 mm one month ago on my forehand. I want to play with short pips, but I do not know yet this will be the final decision. This short pips allow more variable playing. Speed looks like similar to Royal, trajectory a bit lower(may be) but I can serve shortly with spin and I can loop also(not in classical form). TSP super spinpips a bit more sensitive for spin than Royal therefore I fell less confident at fast hit/smash game. Despite on this I say that it has a big potential for my game plan. Practice should help me :) . In summertime I want to test some grippy SP like 802-40 and Stiga Clippa.
TSP Spectol non grippy sport pips therefore I would not be able to make spiny serves and loops at all the same way as Stiga Royal. I also can suggest to use grippy short pips on forehand.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 05:59 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
Andro Blowfish+ all the way!! :party:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 07:04 

I forgot to say if you use soft blade as TSP Black Balsa 7 you lose plenty of deception (sinking effect). Your control can be better this blade but it is too forgiving. I would suggest to try you a very stiff and hard blade. but if you want to loop with your backhand, forget my suggestion :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 10:34 
Super User

pal wrote:
I forgot to say if you use soft blade as TSP Black Balsa 7 you lose plenty of deception (sinking effect). Your control can be better this blade but it is too forgiving. I would suggest to try you a very stiff and hard blade. but if you want to loop with your backhand, forget my suggestion :lol:

Hmmm...don't know if I should start a new thread but what blade would you recommend for a Zhan Jian style of SP FH?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 13:10 
Super User

After doing some research I have come up with the following combo:

Stiga Clipper CR blade
Stiga Clippa short pips rubber (2mm)
Rakza 9 (maximum sponge)

Fingers crossed this will suit my game!

Thanks for all your advice.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 05:57 
Super User

Blade: On Elmstreet Ulmo
FH: Palio Flying Dragon
BH: Spinparasite
poor_knight wrote:
After struggling with SP on my BH for the past month, I switched my Spectol Speed to my FH and, voila, everything became natural and easy! At this stage, I'm thinking of making a permanent switch to a shakehand inverted BH / SP FH player. Mainly planning to attack, attack, attack on my FH, both close to the table and, if possible mid-court as well.

So far my Spectol Speed 1.8mm seems to be working, but was wondering whether people would recommend a different SP for this style.

Cheers
PK

For smashing and flat hitting my favourite short pip is Palio Flying Dragon.It is very different and you can hit every ball with correct timing.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 12:46 

I have been playing short pips forehand and inverted backhand for quite sometime. I used to play inverted on both sides, but my age and stamina have caught up with my game. When I realized my forehand looping days were limited, I settled on short pips, and have never regretted it. I can still flip it over and loop with inverted and punch with the short pips on the backhand if need be, which is needed against a few styles, but that is not that often needed.I tried a variety of short pips on my Nittaku Shellshock, which has a soft feel and enough power to get through most players, and have always returned to Winning NP-8 2.0 with 30 degrees. It is very grippy and fast enough. It is very easy to soft roll heavy underspin with a low or high trajectory. It is easy to drop or flip short serves, or serve double bounce reverse pendulum. I prefer using a chisel forehand serve with the inverted side, because that type grip is easy to flip over back to the short pips side.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 13:18 
Super User

funkVfunk wrote:
I have been playing short pips forehand and inverted backhand for quite sometime. I used to play inverted on both sides, but my age and stamina have caught up with my game. When I realized my forehand looping days were limited, I settled on short pips, and have never regretted it. I can still flip it over and loop with inverted and punch with the short pips on the backhand if need be, which is needed against a few styles, but that is not that often needed.I tried a variety of short pips on my Nittaku Shellshock, which has a soft feel and enough power to get through most players, and have always returned to Winning NP-8 2.0 with 30 degrees. It is very grippy and fast enough. It is very easy to soft roll heavy underspin with a low or high trajectory. It is easy to drop or flip short serves, or serve double bounce reverse pendulum. I prefer using a chisel forehand serve with the inverted side, because that type grip is easy to flip over back to the short pips side.

funkVfunk, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad you had such a positive experience switching to SP FH. It's a little different from me switching from LP BH, but hopefully I will have the same outcome as you and never look back!

Just curious, it's such an unusual style playing SP FH, how did you work on your technique and tactics? Did you have expert advice or did you just figure it out yourself?

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 15:36 

I worked it out for myself by playing against a variety of styles. I first tried attacking with long pips on the forehand but had to give that up due to its limitations, at least for me. I also have a good coach who taught me how to flip short serves with the short pips. After what seemed was a struggle, I learned how to banana flip with my inverted. I almost always serve chiesel, double bounce serves with heavy side variations to the players forehand to inverted players, flip it over to the pips forehand and attack any weak return or drop better returns. Against long pip players, I will serve very fast, deep sidespin with the forehand pips into the long pips, using a reverse pendulum like serve. That will usually set up my forehand short pips attack. With short pips on the forehand, you must have a solid forehand smash and forehand drive. I also practiced flipping the blade so that I could backhand punch topspin returns for a change up, or forehand loop once in a while. I'm only good for 2 to 3 forehand loops now, so I will try to flip it back to the short pips after the first one. It took me a long time to feel comfortable with this style, but it was worth it, especially at my age.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 06:10 

Some days ago, I had a test trial with Palio Flying dragon which was suggested by Fadil. I definitely agree with him. It has very nice speed. It is faster than the most short pips and it has more control than other short pips. Flat hit with very good control. I immediately swapped my TSP super spinpips to Flying dragon. Unbelievable, the ball knows the place where I want to punch him.
I also can recommend it.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 20:32 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Just wondering what type of player is generally suited to short pips. We've got a decent player at the club who was very good about 20 years ago and just came back to the sport. Equipment has changed a bit in this time. He flat hits nearly everything but when hitting pushes often clips the top of the net. Would SP help with this?