OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 07:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

keme wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Oh boy, a beginning chopper. This is another whole can of worms, because you have to decide who you want to play like - in other words, there's the Long Pips Question looming over your head!
LP question already answered, sort of, so your default suggestion should work for this one too, Iskandar ;)

ixsetf wrote:
... have been using the paddles provided by the club I attend, but these paddles do not have consistent quality and don't typically suit my style ...

I currently play chop heavy, varying between defensive and modern defensive. I can chop from both forehand and backhand, although my forehand is somewhat stronger. For more offensive strokes the forehand is also favored, I can use the backhand when necessary, but I can't generate as much speed. I am not sure what combination of characteristics would be best suited for this. I don't like the idea of getting long pips, although I don't know exactly why I feel that way.
Go back in this thread a page or so to find Iskandar's default suggestion. It should be good.

If you feel that most bats are too bouncy, you may want slower rubbers than the Dragons Iskandar uses. Consider Dawei 2008 XP (even the "Super Power" variety of that rubber gives quite moderate speed). Gambler Reflectoid is also good.

I'm not sure if the N11 is a good chopping blade, might be a little fast and light. Maybe with thinner rubber, perhaps. Maybe I've just never really figured out how to chop properly with inverted (though I can, somewhat, with a hardbat), but it does seem easier with my 896 or Stiga Allround Classic for some reason.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 19:30 
Super User

averse wrote:
Hi all,

I posted on here a while back for some help on a first custom bat for myself. My daughter recently got a hold of it and somehow broke the blade so I'm in the market for a new one. I was previously using:

LKT Instinct +
729 super fx on FH
Dawei 2008xp on BA

I liked the setup a lot and improved considerably in my game. As such, I'm thinking about just ordering another LKT Instinct+ and sticking with what works but wanted to see if there was anything else in the same price range I might like better.
A coworker bought a DHS Skyline TG3 and hated it while I loved it. I felt like I could spin with it much more effectively. He ended up giving it to me so I'll probably use that on my FH and the 729 super fx on BA as I preferred that over the Dawei.

Any other blades I should look into as a fairly new player who is starting to get better at spinning/looping but still needs control?

Friendship Super FX is absolutely great rubber in almost every aspect. It is great for FH and BH, best control, enormous spin, really durable and cheap. It is a bit slow but you cannot have all... So I would keep this rubber. If you use 1.8 you can switch to 2.0 sponge to get some more of it.
To speed things up you can get faster and more serious blade. Consider these:
Yinhe W-6 is looping blade, speed 8
Huaruite Clipper (HRT 2091) is Stiga clipper clone, great for everything, speed 8.5
DHS PG7 is for spin oriented attacking, speed 9

Those blades are fast but slow Super FX should keep them in check and give you nice control. I used all three blades and I consider them best choice for in 20-25 $ price range.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 21:46 

Obi-wan wrote:
Friendship Super FX is absolutely great rubber in almost every aspect. It is great for FH and BH, best control, enormous spin, really durable and cheap. It is a bit slow but you cannot have all... So I would keep this rubber. If you use 1.8 you can switch to 2.0 sponge to get some more of it.
To speed things up you can get faster and more serious blade. Consider these:
Yinhe W-6 is looping blade, speed 8
Huaruite Clipper (HRT 2091) is Stiga clipper clone, great for everything, speed 8.5
DHS PG7 is for spin oriented attacking, speed 9

Those blades are fast but slow Super FX should keep them in check and give you nice control. I used all three blades and I consider them best choice for in 20-25 $ price range.

Thanks a bunch. The PG7 is one I was already looking at and I will check out the rest.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 23:46 

Hi all,

I'm a beginner, hence being on this thread, and looking to get a custom bat set up.
I haven't got a specific style yet so am looking for an all round setup.
My dilemma is that my club gets a hefty discount on stiga gear (on RRP) but with the various sales/discounts on websites these days there seems to be good deals on other makes etc.

I have 2 configurations in mind and with the total cost only a few £ different after discounts etc I was wondering which would be deemed the better setup.

Stiga:
Blade - Stiga All Round Classic WRB
Rubbers - Stiga Mendo (or Mendo Energy)

Alternative:
Blade - Butterfly Timo Boll All+
Rubbers - Butterfly Shriver S

I think the reason I'l procrastinating is that a lot of people suggest the Shriver rubbers.

Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 23:51 
Super User

Both combos are just fine for developing your shots.
I do not know the prices, but bare in mind that you can buy fine Chinese combo for about 30 $ total.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 00:23 

Thanks Obi-wan,

Do you refer to the likes of the 729 rubbers? Geo Spin Tacky?

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 00:57 
Super User

Yes.
Yinhe (Galaxy) blade + Friendship rubbers
Lots of nice and cheap stuff.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 02:22 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Sriver has been around for a long time and is a great middle-of-the-road rubber. It is Japanese and unlike the Chinese rubbers like 729FX, but both are viable for beginners. Back in the 1970s it was the top-of-the-line pro rubber champions would use (along with Yasaka Mark V). Even in the 90s a lot of top players were still using it (albeit with speed glue), by then, there were dozens of equivalents (Mendo, for instance). Even today a couple of the top Chinese players use it, albeit on the reverse penhold side.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 10:22 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
If you can afford it then this those combos will be great. See if you can get the rubbers in 1.8mm or 2.0mm. If you want to save a bit the Chinese options will serve you just as well but given those choices I'd go option 1.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 01:00 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Hello everyone!

My first setup got worn up quite a bit (KTL instinct with KTL pro XP forehand and Focus 3 snipe backhand) so I have decided to treat myself with a new bat, my budget is about 50 $.

I have narrowed blades to 2 options:

1. HRT clipper - Obi seems to be a big fan and it really is a bargain at 16 $
2. Donic Appelgren Allplay - seems to be a classic I can't go wrong with and I can get it for 30$ which seems reasonable

Regarding rubbers I am considering these options:

1. Palio CJ 8000 Biotech 2.0 both sides - tried this rubber and liked its feel and spin, doesn't seem too fast for developing players

2. Sanwei T88-I - 2.0 mm both sides - solid reviews, has high throw which I hope will help me lifting heavy underspin balls over the net

3. Galaxy 9000E, 2.2 mm is the only option, again I was thinking on using the same rubber on both sides for simplicity; super cheap, Iskandar recommends it, seems to have great spin and high throw which I hope will help me with my top spins, doesn't seem too fast

I really appreciate any feedback and recommendations, thank you in advance and take care !

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 04:34 
Super User

HRT Clipper (2091) is a clone of a great blade and that is the reason i like it. Bare in mind that this blade is pretty fast (8.5/10)
Appelgren allplay is much slower blade (6.5/10).
So it is probably better to pair Clipper with no too fast rubbers. If you choose Appelgren you can get faster rubbers to gain some speed (Appelgren can keep it under control).

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 09:24 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
How long you had the bat? Not that long i don't think? How many times a week do you play?

I'd suggest you stick to a slower bat at this point and think that the Instinct is fine. However we all like nice new things so although unnecessary, you can't go wing with the Appelgren Allplay which i use. As far a rubbers go, none of those alternatives are a good as the two you have as they are both very good rubbers though you probably won't tell much difference. My recommendation would be Allplay with 2×Xp pro 2.0mm.......that's if you need to change at all.

Only technique and practice will help you lift heavy backspin so ignore that in your choice.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 14:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

One major problem with the CJ8000 - about every sheet I've seen has major "dish" - the rubber curls towards the sponge. Makes it hard to apply to the blade. In one case I ended up with an actual crease in the topsheet. I think this is because they don't allow the sponge to age (it shrinks as it ages) sufficiently before slicing it to thickness and attaching it to the topsheet. Like using unseasoned wood in furniture.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 03:40 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Cobalt wrote:
How long you had the bat? Not that long i don't think? How many times a week do you play?

I'd suggest you stick to a slower bat at this point and think that the Instinct is fine. However we all like nice new things so although unnecessary, you can't go wing with the Appelgren Allplay which i use. As far a rubbers go, none of those alternatives are a good as the two you have as they are both very good rubbers though you probably won't tell much difference. My recommendation would be Allplay with 2×Xp pro 2.0mm.......that's if you need to change at all.

Only technique and practice will help you lift heavy backspin so ignore that in your choice.

I have current rubbers for about 4 months and I practice 2-4 times per week and they are still in ok shape, main reason I am thinking about new bat is that at last rubber change my instinct blade got damaged quite a bit and I don't think it will survive another change (it wasn't sealed and I used Butterfly free chack glue which apparently is very strong...) so I need to think in advance of assembling a new bat.

Plus, I really like testing various equipment :)

But your advice seems really sensible and I will probably go with Appelgren with LKT pro XP or Cream Transcend 2.0 on both sides.

Obi-wan wrote:
HRT Clipper (2091) is a clone of a great blade and that is the reason i like it. Bare in mind that this blade is pretty fast (8.5/10)
Appelgren allplay is much slower blade (6.5/10).
So it is probably better to pair Clipper with no too fast rubbers. If you choose Appelgren you can get faster rubbers to gain some speed (Appelgren can keep it under control).

Thank you for your guide, as mentioned above I will probably go the safe route with Appelgren and most likely Cream Transcend 2.0 but can you recommend some faster rubbers that you think would go well with that blade in couple of months when I get some more experience?

Would, for example, Friendship Aurora or Battle be ok and controllable, just curious?

iskandar taib wrote:
One major problem with the CJ8000 - about every sheet I've seen has major "dish" - the rubber curls towards the sponge. Makes it hard to apply to the blade. In one case I ended up with an actual crease in the topsheet. I think this is because they don't allow the sponge to age (it shrinks as it ages) sufficiently before slicing it to thickness and attaching it to the topsheet. Like using unseasoned wood in furniture.

Iskandar

Cheers for the info, CJ 8000 is definitely out as I don't have much experience gluing rubbers, btw did you notice such shortcomings in Dragon series of Palio rubbers or just with CJ 8000?

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 03:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I just have one sheet of the Green Dragon. First thing I noticed is it's VERY LIGHT. I mean LIGHT. Something like 47 grams uncut, with 2.2mm sponge (most sheets are above 60 grams). Haven't had a chance to hit with it yet, though. From trying many, many different sheets I expect it'll play more or less like other sheets, but now I can use heavier blades than I usually do, or actually try a sheet of Whale again (Whale is ridiculously heavy, something like 70 grams).

Some actual numbers on the "Training Rubber" thread.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next