OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2015, 06:19 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
dunc wrote:
Was the SP/LP player from Nd by any chance, initials of JW? :) He's one of my regular opponents in our local league. Good player, awkward! I'm on a 2:2 ratio with him.

Also, was the unorthodox "wiggly shot" player an older guy with glasses? If so I've seen him playing in VETTS doubles. He's awesome to watch lol, he can spin the ball either way off the wiggly. Shame he doesn't have quite the same finesse in other strokes though... :)

Ha! I believe you to be correct on both counts. My descriptions must be accurate.

185g

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2015, 06:27 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
He's a good player but he definitely has exploitable weaknesses - his serves for example, plus if you use pips into his LP backhand, he often makes mistakes.

Still a really impressive win though - if you've never played against him, he can be incredibly confusing and he hits some blinders.

Was the pure defender our very own Stonewall?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2015, 08:13 
Blockhead
Blockhead

dunc wrote:
Was the pure defender our very own Stonewall?

I doubt it..... the rankings list suggest he is from the South Coast.

185g

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 08:02 
Blockhead
Blockhead

A quick update. Having a near TT free week as lots was focussed upon last weekend's tournament. ... and of course I am delighted with the outcome. By my calculations I will have gained nearly 100 ranking points (it is not comparable to US or AUS systems so the number is irrelevant ) and it may promote me to around 200th in the county at O-40. More importantly I have 8 straight victories against players between 10 places lower and 90 places higher than me, which at this point in time gives me a lot of confidence and justifies the style/equipment switch.

This week I have continued the fitness push, running each day. Tuesday night I dropped into the club to speak to someone on an admin matter, and despite having had a drink (or 3!), being in work clothes and having to borrow a bat played a couple of matches. It was at least a sp/inverted setup but completely different to mine.... and I loved it! Must.....resist
....must.......

185g

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 18:42 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Are you actively trying to stay away from TT to recover from the tournament or something devo?

Great news on your ranking. Sounds like you're playing really well. Do you play in the Sunderland tournament at all? I know it's a hike for you. I always help with the refereeing :)

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 19:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
so_devo wrote:
A quick update. Having a near TT free week as lots was focussed upon last weekend's tournament. ... and of course I am delighted with the outcome. By my calculations I will have gained nearly 100 ranking points (it is not comparable to US or AUS systems so the number is irrelevant ) and it may promote me to around 200th in the county at O-40. More importantly I have 8 straight victories against players between 10 places lower and 90 places higher than me, which at this point in time gives me a lot of confidence and justifies the style/equipment switch.

Wow, 200th at over 40, that's fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap:

so_devo wrote:
This week I have continued the fitness push, running each day. Tuesday night I dropped into the club to speak to someone on an admin matter, and despite having had a drink (or 3!), being in work clothes and having to borrow a bat played a couple of matches. It was at least a sp/inverted setup but completely different to mine.... and I loved it! Must.....resist....must.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 19:27 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
so_devo wrote:

After a casual knock on Tuesday I played a summer league match on the Thursday. We are one of the two teams in contention for the top spot, so our opponents had their strongest team out. We lost 5-4, I won one of my two singles and one of my two doubles. .

Just wondering the format of this comp, how many players in each team and who plays who.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 02:19 
Blockhead
Blockhead

haggisv wrote:
Wow, 200th at over 40, that's fantastic! :clap: :clap:

I should clarify, as I didn't word it very well..... I mean around 200th nationally in the o-40 (veteran) category (not 200th nationally despite being o-40!).

185g

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 02:20 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Cobalt wrote:
so_devo wrote:

After a casual knock on Tuesday I played a summer league match on the Thursday. We are one of the two teams in contention for the top spot, so our opponents had their strongest team out. We lost 5-4, I won one of my two singles and one of my two doubles. .

Just wondering the format of this comp, how many players in each team and who plays who.

3 man team, with each player playing 2 singles and 2 doubles. I could get you a blank scorecard if you'd like to see the exact format?

185g

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 02:30 
Blockhead
Blockhead

dunc wrote:
Are you actively trying to stay away from TT to recover from the tournament or something devo?

Great news on your ranking. Sounds like you're playing really well. Do you play in the Sunderland tournament at all? I know it's a hike for you. I always help with the refereeing :)

Yes and no. I am trying to get a bit of a balance in the summer, as typically you'd be taking a bit of a break before winter season comes in again. But equally I am trying to adjust to new kit and critically get a lot more fit. So I am trying to limit table time just a little, but get 3 sessions a week. Plus I have been away with work/business for 3 days. Back to normal routine next week.

When is the Sunderland tourney?

185g

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 08:47 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

That makes sense. I rarely have breaks but when I do I find them very useful. If 3 sessions/week is a break though, how often do you usually play?!

It's 5th/6th September - http://www.vetts.org.uk/VETTS/entry-forms.html

Not as good a turnout as the Midlands event but it's still big numbers and I really enjoy watching/getting involved with the banter. It's the only thing in my life that has ever made me want to be a few years older!

Well, that and a bus pass.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 09:22 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

so_devo wrote:
Cobalt wrote:
so_devo wrote:

3 man team, with each player playing 2 singles and 2 doubles. I could get you a blank scorecard if you'd like to see the exact format?

Yes please, I'll pm my email if you want.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 19:21 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Cobalt wrote:
so_devo wrote:
Cobalt wrote:
[quote="so_devo"]

Yes please, I'll pm my email if you want.[/quote]
The link is on the website, and is http://sdttl.info/2014%20Sm%20Lg%20Res%20Sheet.pdf

Let me know if any problems accessing and I'll email you a copy.

I have seen another variant of 3 vs 3, where players play in ranking order, and each #1 plays the opposing 1 & 2, the 2 plays 1 & 3 and the 3 plays 2 & 3. I'll try to find an online example of that.

185g

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 19:28 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Here's an example of a ranking order sheet, from our interleague competition

http://essextabletennis.info/vets%201%2 ... 012-13.doc

What is good about these formats is that every player is involved in 4/9 matches.

185g

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 20:56 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Thanks so_devo, links didn't work on tablet but found the site. Was hoping it was for 4, 5or 6 players but gives another option for 3 v 3. Trying to get some different formats for our slightly smaller summer league. Winter we play 3 v3 so i like to mix things up in the less formal summer to prevent being too repetitive. We play 4x 10 week seasons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!