OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 12:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
nathanso wrote:
Doc says I'll be good as new thereafter but the first week after surgery really sucks.

Well that's got to be a real relieve! :up:

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 20:54 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
nathanso wrote:
Had my second surgical consult today. Sadly, I learned that had I had surgery in the first 6 weeks the original ligaments likely would have healed (after a suture drew the now-separated bones back together). The first 6 weeks of the injury is called the acute phase.

Now I'm into the chronic phase of the injury where the ligaments will never heal and a different method is used. This latter technique relies on accumulated scar tissue that builds atop a scaffold made from suture tape and a ligament graft (allograft). The results are apparently the same though I think that only the CC ligament is restored with the chronic stage reconstruction (not the AC lig.). I'll likely be having the surgery in the next 3-4 weeks. Recovery is 6 weeks in an arm sling; then 12 weeks of PT. Doc says I'll be good as new thereafter but the first week after surgery really sucks.

Sorry to hear about that. Having surgery sounds like the best option and the sooner the better. Be careful not to cause any more damage by falling. Also getting a soft bed might help in getting a decent nights sleep and avoid lying on the injured shoulder. See if there is someway of getting surgery quicker if you can take a cancellation on short notice. The longer you are out the longer it takes to get your fitness back.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2015, 01:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
My surgery is scheduled for Aug 21, 2015. I'm fortunate to have a nearby surgeon who has developed his own arthroscopic technique that involves no hardware, no bone tunnels, and no resection of the distal clavicle. Recovery involves 6 weeks in an arm sling; 12 weeks of PT; and a return to sports at 6 months.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 13:49 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
How's it going? I'm 5 weeks past my surgery. I had damaged the cartilage in my shoulder quite badly and have had a very painful recovery....I start physio next week and it has been motionless since the 25....how do you feel? Difficulty sleeping post surgery I bet? That's what I had... the best bet I can give is sleep on an incline and bite the bullet and buy a SUPER supportive sling. Helps alot.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 16:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hi Leatherback, Long time no hear!

I didn't even know you were injured or had surgery. Mine happened as planned on Aug 21 and the surgeon was pleased with the procedure and what he found inside. Post-operative pain has been far less than I had feared, thanks (I think) to the minimally invasive procedure and the ice water pump cold pad machine that the surgeon wisely insisted I purchase. They Velcrod the pad to my bandages in the recovery room while I was still out so all I had to do when I got home was fill and go.. 21h a day for the first 4 days!

Now on my sixth day post surgery and I have to keep my arm slinged but not motionless like you. I've been sleeping on a makeshift recliner in my living room and getting adequate sleep. My first post-op appt with the surgeon is on Monday so I'll know more then.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 06:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I had my first post-op appt with the surgeon yesterday. All is well. I see him again in 5 weeks at which time the arm sling should finally come off. Thankfully, he cleared me for using my slinged (right) hand for limited activity such as keyboarding and mousing, and holding items that weigh less than a coffee cup. There's to be no raising of the elbow, however!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 13:41 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
I had my 6 week check up and have been given the all clear to start moving it again and to try to gain some range back. every motion except a simple bicep curl is basically out of he question as of now but mentally I'm much better because of the all clear to start physio! Keep me posted. Ice pack machines are the 11th wonder of the world lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 00:20 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Nathanso & Leatherback well done to both of you :clap: :clap: as I posted earlier I’ve had both my shoulders done one after the other about 3 months apart & the result has been perfect with complete recovery. :rock: :rock: I had acupuncture to get rid of the scar tissue which helped reduce the pain then hydro therapy & physio therapy which in turn greatly assisted in my rehab. Good luck to both of you in your recovery. :up:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 13:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks, Gollum. I had no idea that acupuncture was useful for treating scar tissue. I googled and found this: http://www.alfievente.com/acupuncturescartissue My surgeon commented after my surgery that my body had made a lot of scar tissue between the June 6 injury and the August 21 surgery so I'm anticipating some issues with scar tissue. Interestingly, the whole object of this reconstruction is to have the body's scar tissue build on top of the allograft "scaffold", where the sinewy scar tissue then assumes the role of my forever severed CC ligaments. The doc assures me that this pseudo CC ligament will be every bit as strong as the original.

I've read that it's common for patients to have follow-up arthroscopic surgery/ies to remove scar tissue. Should this present as an option I'll first be checking into acupuncture as a possible alternative. Now, on my 18th day post surgery, I can see that swelling is steadily decreasing and the shape of my previously-sagging shoulder has been restored. Much hard work remains, however..

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 18:35 
My Precious

nathanso wrote:
Thanks, Gollum. I had no idea that acupuncture was useful for treating scar tissue. I googled and found this: http://www.alfievente.com/acupuncturescartissue My surgeon commented after my surgery that my body had made a lot of scar tissue between the June 6 injury and the August 21 surgery so I'm anticipating some issues with scar tissue. Interestingly, the whole object of this reconstruction is to have the body's scar tissue build on top of the allograft "scaffold", where the sinewy scar tissue then assumes the role of my forever severed CC ligaments. The doc assures me that this pseudo CC ligament will be every bit as strong as the original.

I've read that it's common for patients to have follow-up arthroscopic surgery/ies to remove scar tissue. Should this present as an option I'll first be checking into acupuncture as a possible alternative. Now, on my 18th day post surgery, I can see that swelling is steadily decreasing and the shape of my previously-sagging shoulder has been restored. Much hard work remains, however..

Hi Nathanso, My cousin had to have follow up surgery to free his shoulder up & remove scar tissue while in my case with regular acupuncture & cupping I avoided any other surgery & have regained the complete use & strength of my shoulders. Being able to reach behind me up my back & to reach up with my arms to their full extent above my head for me was the perfect result. Take care & best of luck with your recovery. :up: :up:

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 12:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I had my six week check with my surgeon and all is well. He cleared me from wearing the arm sling but I'm to continue to avoid holding anything weighing more than one pound for an additional six weeks. Physical therapy is to start now 3X week.

The muscular atrophy is depressing to look at. My over-developed shoulder and bicep from playing TT are gone; now scrawnier than my non-dominant left side. I asked the surgeon how long it would take to build back up compared to normal (i.e. not following an injury such as mine) results achieved by weight training. His answer: Twice as long. Ugh.

There's still a good deal of soreness and my range of motion is nil (it's hard to remove a jacket). I made the huge mistake last week of thinking it had healed enough to sleep on that side; something I hadn't done since the surgery. The pain the next morning was a flashback to a month ago when I was just two weeks out from surgery. I mentioned this the surgeon who told me it would be "some time" before I could sleep on my right side without consequences.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 09:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

9 weeks post-op report. Just finished my second week of physical therapy. Some rapid early gains but range of option still painfully limited in certain directions. I'm told that my clavicle and nearby parts aren't moving well (or at all), which is apparently par for the course for this kind of surgery, and will loosen up over time, little by little. PT at this point is endless stretching of achy parts that don't want to stretch much. I've recreated 4-5 of the PT studio's gizmos in my house so I'm doing PT 7 days a week, 3-4 with professional direction.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 23:09 
My Precious

Nathanso , have you had any acupuncture treatment yet? With my shoulder rehab I did all the treatment prescribed by my physio but I also started my acupuncture treatment from the day I had my stiches removed this relieved a lot of my pain by freeing up my shoulder which helped me carry out my exercises. I also did hydro therapy with the buoyancy of the water allowing exercises to be carried out more easily. Keep up the good work you will get there soon. Gollum :up: :clap: :*:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 09:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Four month post-op report. It's been a while since I last checked in here. On Nov 15, 2015 I had my second post-op follow-up appointment with my surgeon who said I was healing well and he lifted my one pound lift limit. What's my new lift limit? No limit, "but don't go crazy until Feb 2016 when the allograft achieves maximum strength". Also, "don't fall on it (or onto outstretched hands [FOOSH!]), and don't lift any 50LB suitcases for a while". But he cleared me to do anything else; table tennis included. In PT we added strength training (beginning with 1-2LB weights and light fitness bands).

As of Dec 30, 2015 I still have limited range of motion for certain movements like hand behind back (65%), and arm abduction (80%). It's painful as it reaches its limit so more PT is upcoming. At home I've recreated many of the PT studio's exercises and I'm following the program in the excellent book by Jim Johnson, "Bulletproof Your Shoulder".

My TT game isn't that far off from where I left it though my BH is weak and lacks finesse. Since I mostly serve BH this has changed the variety of my serves since I can't serve long/fast serves right now. On FH I find I'm playing a more compact "elbow close" style (my body's attempt to protect the shoulder) but it's working out pretty well and it's a style I had aspired to a few times in years past in an attempt to improve my crossover.

So in summary at four months in, no current lifestyle limitations, but still some work ahead to recover full range-of-motion and pain-free movement at full range.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 10:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good to hear from you again nathanso :rock:

SOunds like you're making good progress, although it must seem like a very long and painful journey!

Do you think you'll stick to the same style as you were playing before, or will you likely change style and perhaps change to lighter equipment?