OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 07:07 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
I am wondering if anyone has tried 0.5 Dawei 388D-1 or similar equipment on FH for Zhou Xintong style attacking.

Will put it on a Stiga Clipper Classic with RPB Yasaka Mark V.

Thanks

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 07:55 
Super User

I did it ..OX..on Nittaku Bizelox blade ( 5 plies )..
It's great! Relatively slow...easy to play and deceptive...

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 09:44 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
I've used OX but it was hard for me to FH attack either with loop or drive. Wondering what 0.5 or higher would be like. Knuckle balls on smashes and strange spin with top?

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 14:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You'd likely have to use hardbat-style strokes to attack with OX long pips. See if you can find old books from the 1950s or 60s in your public library - the hardbat topspin drive is somewhat vertical, the follow through is above your head. Against backspin (very common, since, back then, chops were meant to be driven and topspin drives meant to be chopped) it's executed with an open racket. Look for videos of Marty Reisman on YouTube.

He hits the ball pretty hard, too, but the drive stroke is totally different compared to the inverted sandwich topspin drive. His opponent's quite good, and seems just as old! Who wears a hat while playing anymore?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 15:03 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
I was playing with dawei 388D1 0.5mm but on bh.
And i found it very good in each aspect. High control, less spin sensitivity than p1r.
Good to hit with it and chops are sick spinny, with my stroke techique 388D1 0.5 i have most backspin on chops even more than with feint long 3 with 1.1 and p1r 0.5 and 1.0.
Just perfect combination amount of spin reversal and ability to add spin gives so much spin.
But when u play close to the table it still pretty good, giving typical LP ability.

For now im considering playing 388D1 0.5 as defender or grass d.tec ox as aggressor.

Anyone should try 388D1, its cheap and really good pip

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 17:09 

gus_goose wrote:
I've used OX but it was hard for me to FH attack either with loop or drive. Wondering what 0.5 or higher would be like. Knuckle balls on smashes and strange spin with top?

Thoughts?

I took a look at Zhou Xintong vids and she plays classic close to the table LP with opportunistic attacks, and 388d-1 ox is popular for that. More likely your basic technique is lacking in which case adding sponge or any equipment change won't help much. Start with slower more controlled blade and once you can keep simple blocks and hits on the table then work on more difficult offensive shots where you're adding more power to similar strokes.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 18:18 
Super User

irenic wrote:
gus_goose wrote:

Thoughts?

I took a look at Zhou Xintong vids and she plays classic close to the table LP with opportunistic attacks, and 388d-1 ox is popular for that. More likely your basic technique is lacking in which case adding sponge or any equipment change won't help much. Start with slower more controlled blade and once you can keep simple blocks and hits on the table then work on more difficult offensive shots where you're adding more power to similar strokes.

Maybe fact of a lot of of different threatment amkes this rubber popular. I found it popular as well but noone of this.users are using standard, normal, approved version.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 20:49 

ITTF tournament players have their rackets checked so they have to use the standard version. There's no way the enlarged versions would pass.

388d is pretty standard LP. Some grip, some reversal.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 22:57 
Super User

Yea yea ittf checked.. in polish 1st league there is a player with enlarged and referee cant do a s***. Referees doesnt have equipmemt to test pips, its size, diameter, friction. They can just compare it with ittf site with approved list where is logo. All enlarged 388D1 has ittf logo on rubber.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 23:45 

The enlargement mostly makes the pips softer and easier to roll over, so pip effect is more easily engaged on passive strokes. Basically more like d.tecs, but cheaper.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 00:10 
Super User

irenic wrote:
The enlargement mostly makes the pips softer and easier to roll over, so pip effect is more easily engaged on passive strokes. Basically more like d.tecs, but cheaper.

yes enlarged version is way softer, normal 388D1 is softer than grass :)
enlarged (eg. 388D-1 (H) version) is like twice more softer, flexiber
with enlarged version u can more easy add more spin and kill than spin than with other legal ox pip
but 388D-1 with 0.5mm do it better even comparing it to enlarged verion (but u need a proper good and fast technique)

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 00:22 

dtecs is more slippery reversal pip and doesn't need to bend as far. Sponge makes the pip effect more gradual and harder to control between bend & non-bend modes, which is how pips is used close to the table. Choppers use sponge since it grips the ball better and they're always swinging harder into bend mode anyway.

Likely that polish player doesn't play physically and uses brains plus ball control to win, then people who lose against him with their super-tech glue-effect rubber go whine about unfair equipment.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 06:21 
Super User

btw what do u think abt 0.5 pip to play close to the table? is it much harder than ox?

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 09:00 

It's harder imo because the transition between bend and non-bend is more gradual. Makes softer touch-shots more dependent on ball angle in addition to speed. Also not as much contrast and reversal in bend pip-effect mode because the sponge grips the ball better. But makes changing spin on chops more possible for same reason.