OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 16:25 

Blade: Yinhe N11S
FH: KTL Pro XP 1.8mm
BH: 729 802 Mystery III 1.7mm
Hello All,

I am looking to retun to playing tt again after many years away from the game. I played as a kid, at an ok level at club and tournaments (C Grade Mens) using a Stiga Allround blade with Yasaka Black Power (1.5 FH) and Yasaka Mark V (1.5 BH). Basically, I play close to the table as a pusher/blocker looking for openings to loop with my FH. If the point did not end there then there would usually be a counter hitting exchange.

I returned to the game in 2002 and was using my trusty Stiga Allround blade with Prasidha 830. I liked the tackiness??/spin generating ability of the rubber with no loss of control/feel.

I am looking for suggestions from you learned people for a blade (I would like to try something else besides the Stiga Allround - which I can't find anymore) and rubber for a new set up. I need:

01 A bat that is light
02 Control over speed
03 Tacky/spinny rubber
04 I have a preference for Chinese rubbers as they seem to be more durable (my opinion only)
05 Sponge thickness of 1 to 1.5 mm. I seem to lose "feel" when sponge thickness is beyond 1.5 mm

I was thinking of the LKT Pro XT or 729 FX Super Soft for rubbers. I have no ideas for blades but the Re-Impact blades look interesting.

Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Many thanks.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 18:13 

It's a pity that you can't find your old Stiga blade which seems to be from "golden era" of Stiga. If you find it- keep it and don't even think of changing a blade.
I think that the best solution would be to find a blade most similar to your old Stiga AR. I presumed that your accomodation to old Stiga might be the most important factor.
I'd recommend to try OSP Expert All+ blade. I have no experience neither with Stiga AR nor with OSP Expert All+ but I presume that craftsmanship would be great and they will be quite close in playing characteristics.
Another cheaper options: Donic Appelgren Allplay, Waldner Allplay.
If ignoring your Stiga Allround classic experience I'd advise 5ply allround blade, soft but not so flexy comparing to Stiga AR. Maybe something like Tibhar Samsonov Pure Wood.
For rubbers- I'd recommend something slightly tacky (not traditional chinese rubbers with hard sponge). KTL Pro XP\XT might be ok.
Another options: Palio CJ8000, Yasaka Zap, 729 Geospin\Geospin Tacky and many others.
Being pusher\blocker- have you considered swithing to pips or anti on your backhand? In such case recommendations might alter.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 22:39 

Hi Alx,

Thank you for the feedback. I will have a closer look at your suggestions.

Yes, I did like the feel of my old Stiga AR blade very much. It was a very forgiving blade. I would get another one but thought this was an opportunity to try something else :D

Many years ago I did experiment with Phantom 009 on my BH - I don't think Yasaka makes it anymore. I lacked the patience to really get to grips with it and gave up.

Thanks again for posting.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 22:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi Quasi,

Your rubber choice can be affected by where you live. If you live in Europe, you might not want to buy from American suppliers.

LKT Pro XT is a very good rubber, but it only comes with a thick sponge. If you want a 1.5mm sponge, zeropong.com (in America) will put a 1.5mm sponge onto a Pro XT topsheet. I have had this done many times, and it's reliable.

A great rubber in 1.5mm is 729 CREAM WITH TRANSCEND SPONGE, this is available at Zeropong. Geospin Tacky is very good too, also available in 1.5mm. The cream is a bit faster than Geospin, the Cream does not have a tacky surface, but it generates a bit more spin on loops than the Geospin.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 23:19 

Hi glennholder,

Thanks for your great suggestions on rubber. Definitely worth looking into.

Would you also have any suggestions on blades?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 07:04 

Quasi wrote:
Yes, I did like the feel of my old Stiga AR blade very much. It was a very forgiving blade. I would get another one but thought this was an opportunity to try something else :D

Hi Quasi,
If you're thinking about getting new Stiga AR to get identical blade to the one you had you might be disappointed.
Stiga's modern blades are quite good... But if you remember your old blade quite good you'll inevitably compare them.. and you will miss your old blade.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 11:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi Quasi!

I can't give recommendations on blades, I have used mostly cheap blades from LKT the last 10 years.

BUT! back to rubber: paddle palace sells Mark V in 1.0mm and in 1.5mm. BH?

And, the is a killer rubber for medium speed and INCREDIBLE looping spin: Donic Akkadi Taichi. Also sold at paddle palace in 1.5mm. FH? :topspin:

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 12:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

KTL XT Green Dragon does come with thin sponge:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 02894.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2015, 02:33 

GH,

I was a Mark V user from years ago. I recall using Mark V (1.0) when i made some huge improvements in my game. Nowadays I have a preference for Chinese rubbers. I seem to get better feedback from it. I am in no way suggesting Chinese rubbers are better, just my preference. They are also reasonably priced that I am willing to experiment with them until I get the right set up for me. Which I think is also part of the fun.

Your comment about using cheap LKT blades was interesting - will have to look for your posts in blades for your thoughts. Just because your blades are cheap (which is a relative judgement call) it gives no indication of how well that rig may suit you or what your level of play may be - which may well be in the top grades. I've seen guys use the super duper carbon blades with equally super duper max sponge rubbers only to think they may be better served by something more modest (with more control) and a big dose of good technique instead.

It's obvious I'm getting old, right? :D

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2015, 02:46 

Abang Iskandar,

Many thanks for your feedback. Will have to have a look.

Currently I am trying to decide between LKT Pro XT and 729 Cream with transcend sponge. Potentially all on an Andro CS5 All+ blade.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2015, 04:09 

You should also seriously consider Focus 3 Snipe. I like it a lot paired with Cream Transcend. They're similar enough that you could won't instantly lose a point if you hold it wrong, but different enough that you'll prefer to hold it a certain way (probably F3S on backhand).

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2015, 09:44 

Hi Lhet,

That is an interesting suggestion. I just had a quick look and it seems in its standard state it comes in 2.1 mm which is too thick for me. My preference is for sponge a little over 1 mm to 1.5 mm max.

Thanks for the input. It looks a real interesting rubber.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2015, 12:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

For what it's worth, Batwings also comes in thin sponge (down to 1.5mm anyhow..):

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 20558.html

This stuff is so cheap (especially in the next 3 hours) that you can buy the entire range and try it all.. :lol:

Do email them before buying to ask about sponge hardness - so far I've seen it in 42 and 44 degrees. Don't know what 44 degrees is like in thin sponge but for max thickness I find it hard and unpleasant. In 42 it's pretty good - just another variant of the plain 729 topsheet with some sort of chinese sponge.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015, 14:05 

Quasi wrote:
Abang Iskandar,

Many thanks for your feedback. Will have to have a look.

Currently I am trying to decide between LKT Pro XT and 729 Cream with transcend sponge. Potentially all on an Andro CS5 All+ blade.

Quasi How is Andro CS5 All+ blade? I am planning to get one. Do you have any suggestion.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015, 18:06 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
One of the best country players in Victoria uses that blade along with Donic Barracuda.