OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 07:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
October 6, 2015

To the USATT Family,

It is my sincere pleasure to be writing to you today with some very exciting news, which coincidentally falls on the one-year anniversary of my tenure as the CEO of USA Table Tennis.

After spending the last six months studying many of the issues surrounding our membership program, I am pleased to inform you today that, at my recommendation, the USATT Board of Directors has approved a proposal to modify our membership levels to allow you, our members and key stakeholders, to better engage with the organization in a manner you see best.

The basis of the modification is to eliminate ratings fees. This will allow our more frequent users unlimited play in sanctioned events, while at same time allowing those who do not play frequently to "pay as they play" by providing unlimited access to tournament passes. We strongly believe that the flexibility in the new membership levels will increase the level and amount of play in USATT sanctioned events system-wide.

An additional benefit of the platform, which will go into effect on January 1, 2016, will be to allow leagues to apply for "sanctioning," with those leagues engaging in the USATT ratings system as further outlined below. Leagues will not be required to apply for sanctioning however, and USATT, through an agreement with our new membership management partner, Simply Compete, will continue to support a league ratings system for leagues that prefer not to officially sanction those events.

The new membership levels are as follows (see chart below for pricing):
General Members. No ratings fees for USATT Sanctioned Tournaments, USATT Events (US Open, US National Championships), and/or USATT Sanctioned Leagues. USATT will continue to offer multi-year memberships under the "General Membership" category.

Associate Members. No membership fee. May pay on a per-event basis as outlined below. Associate Memberships will only be offered on a year-to-year basis, and Associate Members may not participate in USATT Sanctioned Leagues. (Please note that, in accordance with the USATT By-Laws, Associate Members may not vote in elections.)
The new membership pricing, which will go into effect on November 15, 2015, is as follows:
Membership Type Associate General
Adult 1-year $0 $75
Adult 3-year n/a $210
Adult 5-year n/a $325
Junior 1-year n/a $45
Junior 3-year n/a $125
Collegiate 1-Year n/a $45
Household 1-Year n/a $150
Household 3-year n/a n/a
NCTTA n/a $45
Lifetime n/a $1,300
Tournament Pass (sanctioned) $20 n/a
Tournament Pass (USATT events) $25 n/a

Please note the following with regard to the timing and implementation of the new membership levels:
There is no additional fee for those members currently in good standing.

New membership rates will go into effect on November 15, 2015.

New 3-year, 5-year and lifetime memberships may not be renewed or purchased before November 15, 2015 (if you wish to renew or purchase one of those membership levels before November 15, 2015, please call Andrew Horn at 719-866-4583, x. 5).

Memberships renewed or new memberships purchased between November 15, 2015 and December 31, 2015 will expire on December 31 of the expiration year. For example, if you purchase a new 1-year membership on November 18, 2015, your expiration date will be December 31, 2016.

You must be an Associate Member to purchase a tournament pass.

Ratings fees will be discontinued on January 1, 2016.
Over the course of the next several weeks, we will be working with tournament directors and our sanctioning coordinators to ensure proper implementation of the new fee structure.

As noted earlier, in January, USATT, in partnership with Simply Compete, will be assuming control of the League Rating system that was previously operated and managed by Robert Mayer. As part of this transition, USATT will now offer leagues the opportunity to operate as a "sanctioned league," with the primary difference being that "sanctioned league" matches will now be factored in to USATT ratings.

In order to properly process league ratings, all league participants (whether sanctioned or unsanctioned) must be USATT Associate or General Members. USATT will be providing an on-line tool for participants and league directors to register and manage league participant membership data.
Unsanctioned Leagues will operate similarly to prior years and match results will not be included in the USATT ratings calculation. All league participants must, at a minimum, be USATT Associate Members, which is free. There will be no additional fees to the league or its members.

Sanctioned Leagues will allow leagues to apply match results to USATT ratings on a .5 multiplier basis (e.g., if a regular tournament point exchange was 8, the Sanctioned League point exchange will be 4). All sanctioned league participants must be USATT General Members. I will be updating our membership further on the League Sanctioning process in the coming weeks.
I would be remiss to not take this opportunity to thank Robert Mayer, who for years has dedicated his time, resources, and energy to operating our league system. The good news is that Robert will continue to be integrally involved in the development, deployment and operation of our new league rating systems. Robert, USATT's league system would never have been successful without you.

With the US National Championships right around the corner in December, the Olympic Games less than a year away, and other new developments coming soon, I hope you share my excitement in what lies ahead for USA Table Tennis.

As always, I am available to answer any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Gordon Kaye
CEO
USA Table Tennis

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 10:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Associate membership is free though.

I'm uncertain what the previous structure was like, but will fees go up for most people, assuming they stay in the same category?

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 10:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It's a discount if you play a lot of tournaments. They eliminated a $7 per tournament rating fee and raised the membership by $26. So if you play four or more tournaments a year you come out ahead. I usually play ten.

If you don't want to play a lot of tournaments or they don't exist in your area, you can pay $20 per event and no membership fee.

It seems like a well thought out and player-friendly arrangement. They want to stop the fee structure putting people off entering tournaments. Which is smart because competing in rated events is what turns a fun social game into a life-devouring psycho obsession. Or at least it did with me.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 12:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

So what sort of member is the title referring to?
Quote:
USATT raises annual fee from $49 to $75

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 13:32 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
haggisv wrote:
So what sort of member is the title referring to?
Quote:
USATT raises annual fee from $49 to $75

That would be the General Member.

The current fee structure:

Memberships
Adult
1 Year - $49 For all players 18 and up
3 Year - $130 For all players 18 and up
5 Year - $200 For all players 18 and up
Junior
1 Year - $25 For all players 17 and under
3 Year - $60 For all players 14 and under
Collegiate
1 Year - $25 Must provide proof of full-time enrollment at an accredited college or university
Household
1 Year - $90 For one family living at the same address
3 Year - $250 (Up to 2 adults and any number of minor children)
One-Time Tournament Pass
1 Tournament $10 For players who have never played in an officially sanctioned USATT tournament or have who have never been a member of USATT

Tournament rating fee (per tournament) - $7

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 14:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks GMan4911 :up:

So for players that don't play tournament, which is probably the great majority, the fees go up from $49 to $75. That's quite a hike, although it's probably cheap compared to most sports. :(

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 14:33 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
haggisv wrote:
So for players that don't play tournament, which is probably the great majority, the fees go up from $49 to $75. That's quite a hike, although it's probably cheap compared to most sports. :(

The folks who don't play tournaments will probably end up not renewing. Ever since USATT stopped publishing the print magazine, there's really no reason to remain a member if you don't play tournaments. The ones who play 1-3 per year will probably opt for the tournament pass.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 21:39 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
It should be interesting to see how many past inactive members are inspired to do the $20 pass 1--2 times a year.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 23:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I don't know if the great majority of members don't play tournaments. I would be very surprised if that were the case. There are only about 8000 members and with tournaments all over the country it seems like there must be close to that many unique tournament players in a year.

Remember there are hardly any leagues here, so unless you enter a tourney you are only playing practice matches and there is no practical way to track your progress.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 00:12 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
BRS wrote:
I don't know if the great majority of members don't play tournaments. I would be very surprised if that were the case. There are only about 8000 members and with tournaments all over the country it seems like there must be close to that many unique tournament players in a year.

Remember there are hardly any leagues here, so unless you enter a tourney you are only playing practice matches and there is no practical way to track your progress.

USATT had singles league program for quite some time, so you can just create new one for your club and track your progress that way. Can even make it private so no one sees the results. Don't need to be USATT member either. League rating is independent from USATT tournament one - see my signature.

http://www.usatt.net/league/singles/exi ... eagues.asp

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 00:39 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
BRS wrote:

Per TT Spin Membership Statistics (USATT) .... Current membership has 2,211 who have played in a tournament within the past 5 years ....

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 11:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

haggisv wrote:
Thanks GMan4911 :up:

Actually, for players that don't play tournaments, the fee goes down to zero. They can become "associate members".

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 12:45 

LOOPOVER wrote:
BRS wrote:

Per TT Spin Membership Statistics (USATT) .... Current membership has 2,211 who have played in a tournament within the past 5 years ....

I looked at that page and it's surprising how few people play their tournaments. Current members who've played in the last year is only around 1000, and at any time in the past is 3000, which means less than half (of 8000) of those paying have ever played, and 7/8 payed last year for practically nothing.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 16:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Unless there are clubs that require USATT membership to be able to play at the club...which is what happens in Australia.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 17:49 

I don't believe that's the case. USATT private league ratings are actually free on their website, and it's such a simple process that a $7/person tournament rating fee is pure profit. It's unclear what value the new $20 fee is supposed to add except a sense of legitimacy by associating with the national org.

How much is australia tt membership fee and what does it provide?