OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 21:34 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
I was thinking: why don't I start a blog to reflect on my League matches, on technical or strategical issues and on new equipment. Sometimes it is very helpful (or therapeutic ;-)) to write things down and some feedback or reactions make it even more interesting. I've got quite some blades and rubbers to try and I could occasionally report you about my ‘test sessions’. I must say though, that I usually stick to what I've got and I don't switch easily throughout a League season.

(will fill this first post later with some more info)

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 21:36 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Comeback from 5-0 to 5-11 in a crucial League match

My team plays in the second division of the Provincial League and this division consists of 16 teams competing each other for a home and an away-match throughout the season. Rankings in this League are roughly between D0 and C0 (~ between USATT 2100 and 2300), most are C6/C4. Each team consists of 4 players and each player has to play 4 single matches (so there are 16 matches in total). Both my team as the opponent team we faced last weekend are fighting against degradation at the bottom of the ranking, so there was a lot at stake. What's more, these opponents are from a club from the same city, so it was a 'derby' with quite some tension. Rankings were overall about the same.

We played an away-match and after some close matches, it was 5-0 for the home-playing opponents. I lost my first match very closely to a higher ranked player (I had three match points in the third set, but lost 11-9 in the fifth). We were all a bit down and started to realize that this could become an almost humiliating defeat with very negative consequences for our team. But then it all started to turn and we came back to 5-1, then 5-3 and 5-5. At this point we were confident: we would aim for at least a draw, or why not winning the encounter? Exciting atmosphere. It became 5-7 and after my team mate won a short match reaching 5-8, I was in a thriller against a 17yrs old attacking girl with strong loops but weak nerves, trying to make the 9 and thereby win the encounter! She won the first set, but then started shouting, cursing my pimples, making errors and after a long match I won 1-3... So it was 5-9 and our team won. I took 3 out of 4 matches. The girl cried.. The last two matches weren't even played. We got two walkovers...

Now what made this big shift possible?

I think the most important factor was the atmosphere within our team. We watched each other's game, we coached each other, supported each other, cheered for each other. And we didn't lose the courage. Some luck too of course... Everybody was very concentrated. And by gradually coming back from 0-5 to 5-5, we got a lot of confidence and reached a kind of collective flow while the opponents became nervous and very silent...

Last edited by Pipsy on 20 Oct 2015, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 22:02 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Great comeback and great name for the blog, love it!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 22:58 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I agree, great name and comeback. I would love to see videos of you playing Pipsy!

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 23:11 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Good on you for starting your blog Pipsy. Enjoyed reading the first instalment...great win! Sometimes it can happen like that though, where the best matchups for a team all come early, then the opposition takes over like you did. In our league there is 11 matches (3 singles each and 2 doubles total), and I've experienced wins and losses from a 5-1 or 5-0 beginning, where just one more match is required. Its not a good feeling losing from a commanding position. Look forward to more instalments....you only have 92 pages of match descriptions to catch me :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 06:30 
Super User

The overall mind set and morale of the team is incredibly important in a league match indeed.
First championship match of this year (best of 9, 3v3) i was able to beat the best of the opponents in the first game very clossely in the 5th set, and we went on to win 5-1, with 2 other close 5th set victories.
In the second match, i lost the 1st game in a close match agains a weaker opponent, and then we went on to loose the whole think 0-5, with other 3 very close games.

Atmosphere surely makes the difference...

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 08:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great title, I'll be following this one closely! :up: Legendary comeback Pipsy :rock:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 09:27 
Super User

Fantastic post and victory of course Pipsy! :up:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 20:50 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Thank you guys!

Japsican wrote:
I agree, great name and comeback. I would love to see videos of you playing Pipsy!

I'm afraid of camera's :oops:

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Good on you for starting your blog Pipsy. Enjoyed reading the first instalment...great win! Sometimes it can happen like that though, where the best matchups for a team all come early, then the opposition takes over like you did. In our league there is 11 matches (3 singles each and 2 doubles total), and I've experienced wins and losses from a 5-1 or 5-0 beginning, where just one more match is required. Its not a good feeling losing from a commanding position. Look forward to more instalments....you only have 92 pages of match descriptions to catch me :lol:

Haha, thanks Reb. I've got 8 years to achieve that :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 08:52 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

'Illegal' Curl P1 in league match

In yesterday's league match, I played against a guy who played with the old TSP Curl P1 withouth r.

He already won two matches before he faced me. I noticed the missing r immediately when I checked his rubber after warming-up. I said to him those pips were probably illegal, and that I'd check it out after the match. It looked like he was a little upset and I won very easily, although he was ranked higher than me.

After my match I watched on the LARC-app on my mobile. Curl P1 wasn't mentioned on it but many (all?) forbidden TSP sheets were written down in red on that list (Bamboo, Cactus, etc.). Since Curl P1 was not written in red, I thought they might still be legal and that P1r was just an improved version or so.

Now, apparently the guy had a spare blade with the normal Curl P1r (with r) and played his last match with that blade. He also lost that match. He practically admitted that the other pips were not legal...

Our team lost that match 6-10, but we didn't report the incident. If his two 'illegal' victories were taken away we would have made 8-8. Maybe we should have reported it, but we weren't 100% certain of our case and actually we didn't want to get the draw like that or get a 'bad name' as team/club...

In the meantime I learned from http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28954 that those pips were indeed not legal...

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 09:11 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

why would a league match have the chance of a 8-8 finish, if so who wins?
we don't have games with draws so why not have a odd number of matches and not a even amount?

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 10:46 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
We've had 4 v4 format with 14 matches, 6 v 6 format with 18 matches. When doing ladders, i don't like to resort to games won as scoresheets are often a mess, mistakes and nothing added up so in the past I've allowed draws to make it easier on myself. Last thing i want to be doing is getting home at 11pm and taking another hour doing results. Lazy i know. :) Still gives something to play for in last match. No big deal and actually makes the season quite close and a win is worth gold if teams are close.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 14:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Pipsy wrote:
After my match I watched on the LARC-app on my mobile. Curl P1 wasn't mentioned on it but many (all?) forbidden TSP sheets were written down in red on that list (Bamboo, Cactus, etc.). Since Curl P1 was not written in red, I thought they might still be legal and that P1r was just an improved version or so.

Where did you see that list Pipsy? Is it only on the app, or on the ITTF website as well?

Yes the actual LARC PDF is really the official document, and the one that's updated regularly, so if it's not on there, it's not legal.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 00:44 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Nice to see you finally have a blog. :up: Great, now I have to have one myself... :P
P1 without the "r" is indeed illegal.
Will follow your blog with great interest.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 18:49 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Pipsy wrote:

I recall Wang Xi was not allowed to play a league match because the umpire did not see the small "r" on his TSP Curl P1-r and therefore said it was not appropriate. That was like 3 years ago.

Anyway, good for you to start a blog! It will be interesting to follow.
And now you have a very good reason to do something about you Belgium fellows and your camera phobia :up: :up: :up: (I mean you and Lorre ;) ). You will get a lot more feedback if you film a few seconds of drills and match play. So put your smartphone on some kind of stand and start filming. You don't have to show the whole world your playing, you can keep the clips unlisted on Youtube so they can only be seen by those who have the correct URL (and visitors to your blog will of course see it).