OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2015, 08:21 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Evening folks,

The one serve I don't have in my repertoire is a long, fast, no-spin serve. I can serve no spin on a short serve (backspin serve but contact the ball near handle, and a slower motion)... but anything long gets spin on it.

I can so this beautifully, and easily, with LPs... but is there a way of doing it with inverted?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2015, 11:12 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
From a pendulum serve its as simple as aiming for a topspin serve and hitting the label with lots of contact.

I find the serve easier and more effective coming off a reverse pendulum.

From the backhand side I actually use it as a variation of my reverse tomahawk serve. Most people expect side or a short backspin but smacking the ball into the label works for me.

It's much harder with a backspin motion because you can't get as much contact of force. So there are three different ways you can achieve a long no-spin serve.

Oh. BTW try to hit close to the edge of your side of the table and a lower contact facilitates a better serve.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2015, 12:11 

dunc wrote:
Evening folks,

The one serve I don't have in my repertoire is a long, fast, no-spin serve. I can serve no spin on a short serve (backspin serve but contact the ball near handle, and a slower motion)... but anything long gets spin on it.

I can so this beautifully, and easily, with LPs... but is there a way of doing it with inverted?

This article might help, "Fast No-Spin Serves to the Middle." This serve is best "free" point winner - I've been doing this for about 39 years (with inverted) and get an incredible number of free points.
http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/2138

The pertinent part for you:

"Now you’re ready for the real point-winner – a fast no-spin to the elbow. There’s only one difference between this and a regular fast topspin serve: at contact, instead of putting topspin on the ball, you hit the ball with a very slight downward motion. Don’t think heavy backspin; it’s more of a glancing downward blow to put a little backspin on the ball. If you serve no-spin, after two bounces on the table the ball has topspin. To truly deaden it, you need a little backspin at the start."

-Larry Hodges

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2015, 12:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I find it easiest to do this from a Pendulum serve as well, just like tabesamis describes.

Interesting point about the ball accumulating topspin as it bounces Larry... makes sense. :up:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 03:40 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Just serve backspin long but do not slice the bottom of the ball - come down on the back off the ball.. If you hit the back of the ball or pulled upwards, you would get topspin (pulling upwards is heavier) and if you went under, backspin, but the slight downward motion gives backspin that is too light to do anything but dissipate by the time the ball gets to the other side. The topspin vs. no spin combo is pretty useful as well.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 07:35 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Thanks gents, I'll give this a go once I get my table back in use. It's currently locked in place by downstairs furniture as we await decoration of our lounge...

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 12:08 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I'd probably listen to Larry. I learned this serve from one of his books. Maybe the slight downward motion is why the reverse pendulum is the motion I find easiest for this serve. Never actually conceptualized that I was moving slightly downward but makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 22:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
tabesamis wrote:
I'd probably listen to Larry. I learned this serve from one of his books. Maybe the slight downward motion is why the reverse pendulum is the motion I find easiest for this serve. Never actually conceptualized that I was moving slightly downward but makes perfect sense.

Agree. I always think of the no spin serve as a very light underspin serve. Then you can vary it by not going under the ball and giving a low topspin serve...or go a litter heavier under the ball and get a low underspin serve. Lots of room to improvise.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 00:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I don't think it matters that much exactly that spin is on the ball anyway. When it's fast and flat and catches then by surprise it tends to work well most of the time anyway.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 02:36 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I think it is a key to make it look like your other serves. It also helps to show an ability to make heavy underspin (or at least enough to make someone net a ball if they are not paying enough attention) to setup the no-spin. for this fast/deep serve, I think it helps to make it look like topspin and placement is another key.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 01:27 

Blade: Stiga OC
FH: Sanwei T88-I
BH: Xiom Sigma I Pro
"Now you’re ready for the real point-winner – a fast no-spin to the elbow. There’s only one difference between this and a regular fast topspin serve: at contact, instead of putting topspin on the ball, you hit the ball with a very slight downward motion. Don’t think heavy backspin; it’s more of a glancing downward blow to put a little backspin on the ball. If you serve no-spin, after two bounces on the table the ball has topspin. To truly deaden it, you need a little backspin at the start."

-Larry Hodges

I'm really surprised at how effective this is :rofl:
I have been using this serve since I read it here on the forum and it has been getting me points.

BH XIOM Sigma I Europe 2mm

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 09:50 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I'm definitely going to add this serve to my bag of serves. I've often been at the receiving end of these against one particular player and as Larry said, I often mistake for topspin and hit into the net. Really annoys me.

That raises the question. What is the best way to deal with these serves, particularly the wide ones.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 10:42 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I do this serve from my regular pendulum motion and I find a low contact, close to the table edge first bounce with a forward and slightly downward motion is best. As has already been mentioned in the thread, I just wanted to add to the consensus. I tend to use my wrist a little more to flick into the ball for a more solid contact.

As to how to receive this ball I always advise to step back and accept the ball then loop it. I always assume that this flat ball is going to have a slight about of backspin and treat it as such. If its heavy top it wont be so flat in the bounce as a no-spin long serve. You will also be able to see the service motion change for the top-spin long serve in most cases if you watch the contact of the ball on bat.

If you find you are getting caught, step back to receive, its always easier to move into a short ball then it is to move back to accept a long ball. It also has the benefit of giving you more time to react and get the ball.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 16:20 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Cobalt wrote:
I'm definitely going to add this serve to my bag of serves. I've often been at the receiving end of these against one particular player and as Larry said, I often mistake for topspin and hit into the net. Really annoys me.

That raises the question. What is the best way to deal with these serves, particularly the wide ones.

Loop them. Practicing looping against them and you will have a better idea of what is possible and it will expand your understanding of looping. To quote myself again: if you only know how to loop with one swing trajectory and one kind of racket angle/contact on the ball, you will struggle to get better at this game.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 17:48 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Actually, just to correct myself, i don't mistake them for topspin as i do recognise the no spin but because they come in quick my brain doesn't adjust and i play them as though they are topspin.