OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Medium Pips Strategy
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 06:27 

iskandar taib wrote:
From watching Fukuhara Ai and Ito Mima play, they rarely push and use the medium pips to drive or block to the corners from over the table. I tried this briefly (using Friendship 563) but gave it up. It was forcing me to stand close to the table and aside from flubbing a lot of shots on the backhand it also made me play way too much on the backhand than I normally do. It also messed with my forehand shots. I suppose you have to be a lot quicker than I am to play like this, and you have to commit to it long term - someone used to playing with inverted on the backhand will see a huge drop in level of play at least for a couple weeks (and that's being optimistic!). It's a huge adjustment.

Iskandar

I believe the issue is not how close to the table you are, but how early on the bounce you connect with the ball. Short pips, but especially Medium pips work best when you put time pressure on your opponent so that they cannot address the ball in the place they want. Medium pips are even better than Short at this because they are less sensitive to incoming spin (pretty much one racket angle) and produce more 'funky' travel paths. You can enhance this by sliding the racket left or right as you connect (as Gao Jun does using Short pips). The idea is to neither underspin or roll/ hit over the ball, but to push/jab the ball forward as it is rising using a flat racket face; doubly confusing things with a sideways slice. Try to go mainly for your opponents shoulder. That way they have to 1. judge the spin 2. judge the weird arc of the ball. 3. judge where to place themselves. 4. adjust their stroke. Do it well and they mess up big time. You immediately pivot to hit/loop the result with your powerful forehand :-) . You should always serve short to get a short push or a flip return and respond with virtually the same shot (push/jab) no matter which. If your opponent serves long, chop block and take a half a step back to block (and guess what you do if he chickens out and pushes :-) ).

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 17:36 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Bringing this up again... Perhaps anyone wants to add tips and tricks on using medium here...

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 11:30 

fairly new to medium pips but someone asked what to do with a long, high ball to the backhand.
I'm presuming the medium pips is on the backhand but...

If the ball is long and high enough, you probably have time to wheel around and smash it.
No sense being lazy and try to hit a creative but mediocre and ineffective shot-
move your feet and smash it with your forehand.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2016, 02:07 

IMHO, there is nothing special for MPs about high long balls to BH. Such balls are uncomfortable for inverted, short pips, long pips and antis as well.
You can smash long and high balls with your backhand as medium pips are not so sensitive to incoming spin. It's just a matter of finding a right position of your wrist- your bat, a ball and estimated landing point should be in one line and your bat should be perpendicular to this line. Adding sidewipe motion can add power to your shot. However as jgp mentioned if they are too high then you have enough time to prepare for FH smash.

As for the strategy for medium pips game I'd suggest 3 points which may help one to win:
1. Active hitting
If you play with medium pips you have to be active and somewhat offensive-minded. For passive and defensive players long pips and antis are far better choice. Attacking shots with medium pips are fast and may have little to no spin that causes sinking effect. Such balls are hard to receive for the opponents.
2. Placement and timing
Due to low sensivity you can care less about incoming spin. Instead take more care about placement. Use active or punch blocks to aim ball to uncomfortable place for your opponent, try to get him out of position, create time shortage for him (one need less time to execute such punch block compare to loop or drive). As a result the opponent can miss the ball or will give you a weak ball that can be easily attacked.
3. Variation and deception
If your opponent put a pressure on you by continuous attacking and you aren't able to counter hit- deceive him with your blocks. Vary wrist tension and movement (slight upward, no movement, slight downward). That will result in different balls coming from you (backspin, no spin, topspin). For example, you block with slight upward wrist movement and send slight top-spin ball. Your opponent again attacks your block(s). Then try one of the next blocks punch with no wrist movement, depending on incoming spin you will send no-spin ball or even back-spin (if incoming top-spin is high enough you can create some reversal). Due to relatively high speed of incoming ball many opponents may not spot difference with the prevoius ball(s) and will send it into the net.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 18:44 

Blade: btf primorac carbon
FH: xiom omega iv pro
BH: hellcat Der M
Hi, before this,im a long pips player,and now i change to med pips. My playing style is blocking,hitting and counter hit..and control. Which one the thickness sponge good for me? I want more disruptive and deception on med pips..

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 20:03 

Blade: Re-impact Preference
FH: Donic Acuda Blue P2 1.8 m
BH: Spinlord Keiler 1.5 mm
azuan wrote:
Hi, before this,im a long pips player,and now i change to med pips. My playing style is blocking,hitting and counter hit..and control. Which one the thickness sponge good for me? I want more disruptive and deception on med pips..

Sponge thickness 1.5 mm.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 03:43 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
Keiler wrote:
azuan wrote:

Sponge thickness 1.5 mm.

For Keiler or even 563 this sounds about right. 1.5 mm, thinner might be more deception, but at the cost of control against hard hit balls.

For Dr. N Killer or Killer Pro, 1.5 or maybe a little thinner than that. At least that has been my experience to get the best deception/control.

Others may vary depending on how soft or dense the sponge is. Soft sponges will tend to bottom out, if you can control that it will give you more deception against some players. If your background is OX long pips, that probably isn't a problem, since you already know how to soften the block.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 15:24 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Coming from LP he may try Kokutaku 110 as well, 1mm is recommended. It's fast enough for offensive strokes and allows quite a lot of variation, from defensive chops to near table (low-spin) loops.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 00:16 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
By reading the first text of this blog I read that Mp doesn't have as many gears as LP, Sp or Inverted ( 2012)

Well it seems that it is far from the truth now. Mp become very diversified. From Sp caracteristics to LP caracteristics. Neubauer and der Materialspezialist are working very hard in this field and for a good reason. The balls changes and the Lp are often overpowered by the sized, the mass and the hit of the new plastic ball. The ball is too often hitting the blade and the small lP just not interact as before.

I found MP being able to be much defensive as offensive. Agressor, Keller, Power pips, hellcat are just a few examples. Some goes more on the SP sides other on the LP side.

Agressor can do all of it. The classic defense is very strong. With a pip as long as TSP PR-1. The diameter of the pips are as big as the TSP spectol so you can hit the ball or counter it. So we have in the Mp all the gears of sp and LP. I really think that some of the professionnal will come up with these solutions in few years and it can become very excited.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 04:00 
Super User

maddrag wrote:
By reading the first text of this blog I read that Mp doesn't have as many gears as LP, Sp or Inverted ( 2012)

Well it seems that it is far from the truth now. Mp become very diversified. From Sp caracteristics to LP caracteristics. Neubauer and der Materialspezialist are working very hard in this field and for a good reason. The balls changes and the Lp are often overpowered by the sized, the mass and the hit of the new plastic ball. The ball is too often hitting the blade and the small lP just not interact as before.

I found MP being able to be much defensive as offensive. Agressor, Keller, Power pips, hellcat are just a few examples. Some goes more on the SP sides other on the LP side.

Agressor can do all of it. The classic defense is very strong. With a pip as long as TSP PR-1. The diameter of the pips are as big as the TSP spectol so you can hit the ball or counter it. So we have in the Mp all the gears of sp and LP. I really think that some of the professionnal will come up with these solutions in few years and it can become very excited.

Yes, the new generation medium pips have a much broader range of capabilities then the previous entries in this field. With Keiler, for instance, I don't feel like I am at a disadvantage against other players no matter which type of rubber they have chosen to use, while at the same time I think I have more options available to me. The range of speed, spin, and control with these new products is amazing, when comparing them to the older medium pip products.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 00:44 
Super User

thank you 1denisstt,

I finally doesn't feel alone about the new MPs. They are the next generation for modern defense. Don't you think ?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 03:29 
Super User

maddrag wrote:
I finally doesn't feel alone about the new MPs. They are the next generation for modern defense. Don't you think ?

Maybe. It's going to depend on which pip you choose, the properties of the different sheets are all over the place. The trick is to pick and choose so you get the right mix of abilities that will mesh with your play style.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 02:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

shortpips wrote:
I believe the issue is not how close to the table you are, but how early on the bounce you connect with the ball. Short pips, but especially Medium pips work best when you put time pressure on your opponent so that they cannot address the ball in the place they want. Medium pips are even better than Short at this because they are less sensitive to incoming spin (pretty much one racket angle) and produce more 'funky' travel paths. You can enhance this by sliding the racket left or right as you connect (as Gao Jun does using Short pips). The idea is to neither underspin or roll/ hit over the ball, but to push/jab the ball forward as it is rising using a flat racket face; doubly confusing things with a sideways slice. Try to go mainly for your opponents shoulder. That way they have to 1. judge the spin 2. judge the weird arc of the ball. 3. judge where to place themselves. 4. adjust their stroke. Do it well and they mess up big time. You immediately pivot to hit/loop the result with your powerful forehand :-) . You should always serve short to get a short push or a flip return and respond with virtually the same shot (push/jab) no matter which. If your opponent serves long, chop block and take a half a step back to block (and guess what you do if he chickens out and pushes :-) ).

You can't really hit the ball early after the bounce if you stand too far away, because then you'd be contacting the ball too far away from your body and can't put much power into it. This style forces you to play close to the table, no two ways about it.

I suppose these days you'd have to learn to banana and strawberry, too... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 15:35 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
What blades are you guys using with your MPs?

My latest EJ brought me to JM SZLC and it's surprisingly very good match with Yinhe Pluto I'm using.

instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 21:42 
Super User

Hi rockphips2,

I'm playing neubauer firewall plus. An all around blade, 64 gr. Made of balsa. Very good control. Good variation of speed for mp. Really like it.

I invite you to rate your mp to the forum "new medium pips list caracteristics so we can have a good summary of mp and their caracteristics for reference.