OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 15:31 

I was wondering how to add speed while still keeping the ball on the table.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 16:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Learn topspin shots. Lotta good how-to videos on YouTube about it.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 19:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That's right, topspin will make the ball curve down, so you can loop harder and it will still land on the table.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 22:51 

mynamenotbob wrote:

Ok, would the same advice apply if im using pips?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 02:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Bobobo wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

Ok, would the same advice apply if im using pips?

Yes and No - It depends.

Generally using pips you will increase speed on the ball with different techniques, depending on the stroke you're playing and the (incoming) spin on the ball. Topspin with most long pips is achievable usually when the ball comes in with backspin. By hitting over the ball with a looping type motion you'll send the ball back with topspin which is usually fairly light. Unless you are very well adept, the same stroke on an incoming topspin shot will not result in a good return, and won't carry topspin (unless you have really grippy pips perhaps).

Increasing ball speed with pips is more likely achieved by pushing into the ball harder with both the right blade angle and the right blade trajectory to suit the spin on the ball. A sideswipe to the ball with the pips can also be of help in doing this in many circumstances. Its not a small topic to address unless I go into a LOT of detail, which I'm not going to do right now (its late here). Ask more questions if you like though, and they can be answered at everyone's convenience.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 02:56 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Bobobo wrote:

Are you playing short pip, penhold? Then you are probably talking about FLAT hitting the ball (not looping)? Then we are talking about 1) timing, when exacting we hit the ball...somewhere from "on the rise" to the "peak", 2) angle of blade, and 3) use of wrist to add that little bit of extra punch.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 03:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Short pips with some sponge in my experience can create a surprising amount of top spin - even hard bats can create spin. Inverted will get more spin with the same stroke generally, but there is still plenty of spin that can be created to get that ball back on the table.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 04:36 

shaolinTT wrote:
Bobobo wrote:

Are you playing short pip, penhold? Then you are probably talking about FLAT hitting the ball (not looping)? Then we are talking about 1) timing, when exacting we hit the ball...somewhere from "on the rise" to the "peak", 2) angle of blade, and 3) use of wrist to add that little bit of extra punch.

Yeah, i play penhold and use sp on my fh. How should i hit the ball if its low and/or close to the net?

Last edited by Bobobo on 09 Feb 2016, 09:18, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 09:03 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Bobobo wrote:
shaolinTT wrote:
Bobobo wrote:

I generally use sp on my fh. How should i hit the ball if its low or close to the net?

With the demise of the 38 mm ball, SP has not been as effective or popular. If you want to stick with SP penhold, take a look at how He Zhiwen plays. Great placement of the ball!

If the ball is low or close to the net? 1) One stroke SP players use is the "chop push", but that's not adding speed though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7aJBDIowNM
2) You can also do a regular push and go for a good placement of the ball.
3) You can also put a little top spin on the ball, follow by the next stroke: a flat smash.

Good old fashion SP penhold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3sxUa8iII

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 12:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Bobobo wrote:
shaolinTT wrote:
Bobobo wrote:

Yeah, i play penhold and use sp on my fh. How should i hit the ball if its low and/or close to the net?

If it is low, then you should not hit it as hard, but roll it. Look at Kees' advice on the short pips forum.

If it close to the net you'll need to spin it more if it's low, open your blade to flip it over the net.

Most mistakes I've found is hitting the ball too hard when you are late and the ball is low.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black