OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 06:21 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Table Tennis matches are a pain to win. So I need your help to win them.

I am struggling to beat this kid - any advice or tips or help would be appreciated. Getting a game off him these days makes me feel like Vladi taking a game off Ma Long. Help!

And feel free to say that no matter what I do, it won't make a difference that the kid is now too far gone. It is a 250+ point rating gap after all...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 07:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Great idea for a thread NL. It's kind of hard to say because the kid is so loose. If you pushed him harder he might just be more serious and the result could end up the same.

The best advice I can give you is to never miss on your attacks. He gives you a few free points every set, but you also miss a couple attempts when you try to put special sauce on your loops. I think to win a set you would have to not miss any of those. I'm talking about unforced errors, not receiving or when he moves you around.

Maybe there is something tactically you could change, i'd be the last person to figure it out if there is. But being clubmates he has probably seen everythng you got.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 07:39 
Super User

A couple of comments based on the work you've been doing with Brett. First, note the difference between the effectiveness of your serves when you do it Brett's way and when you just serve a half long backhand into his hitting zone. Second, on service return, note the difference between the effectiveness of your topspin backhand rather than just pushing long (and often high). Didn't you have a thread about improving your short game?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 07:48 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:
Great idea for a thread NL. It's kind of hard to say because the kid is so loose. If you pushed him harder he might just be more serious and the result could end up the same.

The best advice I can give you is to never miss on your attacks. He gives you a few free points every set, but you also miss a couple attempts when you try to put special sauce on your loops. I think to win a set you would have to not miss any of those. I'm talking about unforced errors, not receiving or when he moves you around.

Maybe there is something tactically you could change, i'd be the last person to figure it out if there is. But being clubmates he has probably seen everythng you got.

The kid is always loose - don't be deceived. If he tries harder, he plays worse. In fact, I want to make him play harder - that means I am in his head.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 07:50 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

birchamboi wrote:
A couple of comments based on the work you've been doing with Brett. First, note the difference between the effectiveness of your serves when you do it Brett's way and when you just serve a half long backhand into his hitting zone. Second, on service return, note the difference between the effectiveness of your topspin backhand rather than just pushing long (and often high). Didn't you have a thread about improving your short game?

Not sure exactly what you mean - do you mean that my forehand serves are more effective than my backhand serves?

The topspin vs. push thing is in part because I can't read spin.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 08:55 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
what i saw, and wanted to share...

you need to mix the placement of the serves more...you are serving just to serve, without a plan behind it...you have a good set of different serves and you are not using them enough...
and dont try to attack every ball from every position...when the game opens up, i think he have the upper edge...you need to close the game more, with short serves, strong underspin pushes to his weaker side or the elbow, and a good block...
because of you weak knees, you also need to preemptively move little quicker around the table (ie when u push with BH to his FH, move to the middle of the table before he even touches the ball in the anticipation of a spin to your FH)

hope some of this helps :up:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 14:03 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Thanks, guys. I took a mixture of your advice and I had him at 2-1, 8-5 and then I started to play differently from what got me where I was and lost. But at least I now have more hope and a better idea of how I should change mg game. I now have a wider serve repertoire and I should be able to use it with more placement and variety. In fact, other than heavy backspin and long no spin, my backhand serve repertoire is going into the closet against better players until I fix it.

Thanks again. I didn't have video today but I will present more matches and present parts of the matches so.we can discuss strategy and how to win points.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 15:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
NL, I watched the first couple of matches and I dont see this kid having anything special. You pay him too much respect. To be honest he doesnt look near as good as the players Id class here as being in the 2250 category, and he doesnt look 250 pts ahead of you either. His strokes are far from silky smooth or even terribly consistent. Your strokes look smoother. I'd say if you worked harder on not feeding his strengths, ((ie. serve to better placement, return where he is weaker, and focus a little more on your own consistency) you'd take him every time.

I wish I had a video of my match against the kid I beat last season that I said was ~2200 . Compared to this Indian kid, you'd say 2500 :lol: I might try to video him on a Monday night. Trouble is I get so little time off court with playing and scoring, he's not often playing when I'm free.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 15:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So I'm going to go through this match and I'm only half way through game 1 but I saw one huge glaring issue as I'm taking notes.

You let him serve 3 times in a row. Look at point 5-7!

Also this guy is serving deep to your backhand every time. More data coming.

game 1
point 1
O serve to backhand deep - error 1-0
point 2:
O serve backhand half long - push - looped for a winner 2-0

point 3:
H serve forehand long - looped for a winner 0-3
point 4:
H serve forehand long - backhand loop error 1-3

point 5:
O serve to backhand deep - looped/blocked/smashed for a winner 4-1
point 6:
O serve to backhand deep - looped/blocked/error 5-1

point 7:
O serve to backhand deep - looped/error 5-2

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 02:38 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Here is another bad junior matchup for me.

After today, I will start posting 1 edited match a week for commentary. Hopefully, this was so short that no one will care much about the editing.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 07:46 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
no advice against this one except dont miss your serves:)

this one is 2 times better than the last one, he played with 50% against you, there is not much you can do i think :angel:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 07:51 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

111Iceman111 wrote:

this one is 2 times better than the last one, he played with 50% against you, there is not much you can do i think :angel:

The last one beat this one 3-0 at a tournament on.Sunday.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 08:12 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
NextLevel wrote:
111Iceman111 wrote:

The last one beat this one 3-0 at a tournament on.Sunday.

And it was not even close, judging by the score of 3,6,4 :P

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 08:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Part of the reason I am posting these matches is to get other players with a lower rating to look for strategies. I will post some of my own insights on the two matches later this week, maybe Friday. Then I will start using an edited format where I edit a game and provide only the first game and let you coach me and my opponent.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 10:40 
Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Here is another bad junior matchup for me.

Where is the fire? You were so keen to get out of there it was over in nine minutes including warm up.

Not only that but you sprint through each point. I can understand why the kid is happy with the pace: he's winning! But I don't understand why you don't make any attempt to slow the pace of the match.

I suspect the average length of time it takes for you to serve is less than a second. At the start of the match, you serve three times in less than seventeen seconds (and that includes your opponent have to chase and pick up the ball, a net and then a serve into the net). Another case in point is 7:47-8:51. At 7:47 you haven't even got the ball and yet at 8:51 it's over because you've served off the table!

I've noticed this when you've posted serving drills. You just go one after another with not even a break. There's no pause, and you don't seem to bother to look at the ball before you throw it up.

I seem to remember reading something about eye-tracking stuff and the need to pause and focus clearly before beginning the shot. I'm sorry for the really long post, but it just jumps out at me how you appear to rush.