OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 04:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 01:37 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Great playing you yesterday. Hope we gave you good practice for the league matches. Hope to steal one but came up short even when the opportunity was gifted to me.

Ah, the defeat where you learn from your opponent's technique... hopefully LordCope will get some of the video and I can review some of yours...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 03:07 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Likewise NL, very enjoyable. I had pretty much run out of gas at the end so was concerned I'd be too tired for the evening match, but actually played really well after a couple of hours rest. I hope we get the opportunity to play again some day. Will be interesting to see any video that LC managed to get.

185g

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 09:51 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Thanks to LordCope for posting footage of our 'gathering'. Interesting, and NL and LC have drawn their conclusions on their own technique. For my part it shows me that I am still very FH focussed (this is fine), more positive with BH strokes (also good) but should be more so (must do better). Not covered in the footage is that the hall was unexpectedly busy so we were restricted to one table. Initially we 'cross-knocked'; which developmentally was probably the most helpful part of the whole session for me. I play too many matches. NL has a fine backhand topspin and it was a good opportunity to spend a period of time practicing the counter against a strong opponent. Just this one session has reaped benefits in my game and is a wake up call for future plans (less competition, more practice!)

Last weekend was Veterans' British League Weekend. This is held over two weekends, and the first will have been recorded back in my blog last September. The league structure is as follows;

VBL premier (6 teams)
VBL div 1 (2 divisions of 6 teams)
VBL div 2 (2 divisions of 6 teams)
VNL div 1 (2 divisions of 6 teams)
VNL div 2 (2 divisions of 6 teams)

BL = British League, VNL = Veterans' national league (effectively a feeder to BL)

The standard is pretty sharp; in VNL 1 this weekend I only noticed one player outside national ranking of 250th or so. I played in position 1 (ranking order applies). The format is teams of 3, 6 single (2 each). # 1 plays 1&2, 2 1&3, 3 2&3, if that makes sense. As a team you get no points for a match loss, 1 for a draw, 2 for a win. With 6 teams in a division you play the other 5 once each weekend. We entered this weekend a point ahead of the next team, with two more two points behind. Unfortunately our #1 wasn't fit enough to play, so I was promoted to #1 spot. Upshot was that I was the lowest rated #1, and several of the #2 players were higher ranked too! Tough times ahead.

Or not.

As a team we performed way beyond our expectations, and on the very last game (not match) held on to win the division and secure promotion to the VBL 'proper'. Bearing in mind my UK ranking of around 200 I had wins over 2 players around 60th, a 5 set loss to #31 and wins over a further 2 top 120 players. I lost deuce in the 5th and a narrow 4 setter to 2 further top c.100 players. I lost to one player ranked narrowly below me and beat the two players that I was ranked above significantly without fuss, to finish 6/10 for the weekend and 13/20 for the comp. Very pleased. The rest of the team performed well, and our #3 beat the #31 ranked UK vet for the best single performance in our team.

Next year we join the VBL proper again, which will be tough, but we'll enjoy and try hard!

So performance moves forward, what is the logical thing (not) to do? Oh yes, let's try a new pimple! Currently testing Blowfish 1.8, and used it in a local league match. First impressions are that it's fast, but good......

185g

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 01:37 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
You hammered our Jimmy! Well played :) The VBL divisions look really tough, how much of a step up do you think that will be?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 01:18 
Blockhead
Blockhead

dunc wrote:
You hammered our Jimmy! Well played :) The VBL divisions look really tough, how much of a step up do you think that will be?

Jimmy wasn't there for the 2nd half, if you saw the result on the web that would have been from last September. His team were really strong this time, actually beat us 6-0 (I went down 11-9 in the 5th to their #2) but started 2 points behind us and could only claw back one.

I have played VBL2 before, a couple of years ago and got 25%, so it will be tough. Quite a number of narrow defeats that year though so certainly could improve the %. 50% would feel like a real achievement. I think I am likely to be playing at position 2.

185g

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 01:57 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Ahh sorry, my mistake.

One of our VBL teams just won promotion to D1:

https://www.tabletennis365.com/britishl ... er_Reivers

Those averages show how tough the division is because Jim is currently on 85% in our local league, Richard is on 65% and Geoff, although he doesn't play local league any more, is very highly ranked in O60s nationally.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 02:04 
Blockhead
Blockhead

As I'd alluded to, I am testing a new SP. I wasn't unhappy with the Spectol at all, but Blowfish is quite popular locally so this roused my curiosity and I ordered a sheet of 1.8 from TTNPP. Of the three locals that used it well, each seemed to have a different strength with it; one blocked really well (with a very low trajectory and pace variation), one hit very well and the other could open and counter very reliably with it.

It is a pretty soft rubber and the first impressions were that it is pretty quick! The first few hits went very long :o but a few slight adjustments and all the offensive shots were working well. Reviews were very contradictory about whether this is a high or low spin SP. I think it is quite spinny and am getting a reasonable arc on shots when driving the ball. Serves seem to have decent spin. It plays nearer to inverted than Spectol does, and that's not a bad thing for me. After very little practice the blocking side of things is going well; the soft sponge can soak up the speed or, with a little nudge, put back a pretty quick ball.

The short game is where the challenge will lie but after a couple of practices and a couple of matches I'm starting to feel quite comfortable with it now, so have ordered another sheet..... especially as it seems quite fragile and I've taken a couple of small chunks out of it already ! :swear:

It feels like the logical next step though as after developing a reasonably sound game with the Spectol my BH side just doesn't seem "dangerous" enough. An alternative might have been a spongier Spectol, which I was considering.

On Saturday I played Veteran's inter-county and had a very good day, winning all 4 singles - 2 against higher ranked players. This boosted my confidence in the new set-up somewhat, and generally I was playing a more positive game allround. It felt a lot nearer to the style I am trying to get my game to, and I went home very pleased with my performance.

Two things ahead; A new national ranking list due out tomorrow and as I have a good few points due, maybe a visit inside the top 150 over-40s for the first time ? Secondly, VETTS Southern Masters next weekend - anyone from here going, aside from me and Lord Cope?. I am in O-40s singles and doubles.

185g

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 03:11 
Blockhead
Blockhead

So, the ranking list for February is out and I have missed my 'top 150' target by 3 places, but climbed from 188 to 153. I also have 4 wins and no losses from County matches last weekend that will raise my points next month.

The draw is also out for the Southern VETTS masters. Groups of 4 and I'm in with the 10th seed, who is around 25th in the country. Still, I only need to get R/U in the group to proceed to the main KO, which appears feasible. If not, there's the 'plate'. Probably my best ever win was against the #7 seed.....currently national #19......... and in Lord Cope's group.......

(We will ignore the very many times I have lost to him!) 8-)

185g

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 03:38 
Blockhead
Blockhead

I should have added that I spotted Dr N was in the draw for over-50s at least. I'll get a little video if I get the chance, or maybe Lord Cope will........

185g

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2016, 05:59 
Blockhead
Blockhead

So, this will be my last post, or last update at least in this blog. Why? Because I am moving back to double inverted. Why? Because I leave the table too much.....

Was it a waste of time? No. It has improved my backhand immeasurably as it taught me to get into position and pay far more attention to blade angle than ever before. It also taught me to hit through the ball sufficiently.....

More updates in the yet-to-be-titled new blog.....

In other news I have hit a new peak of c.#140 UK over-40, achieving my top 150 aim. Therefore top 100 is my new aim!

Also, 1 day after deciding to revert to double inverter, I beat a top 100 player.....mainly via my new found backhand........details will appear in the new blog.

See ya!

185g

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2016, 16:57 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
It's been a fascinating journey, I've enjoyed reading it! Looking forward to your new blog "Breaking the top 100" :)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2016, 19:44 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Well done SoDevo, didn't read this blog much due to the SP aspect but looking forward to reading the new one. Well done though on your journey and blog.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7