OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 16:56 

Blade: Re-Impact Smart
FH: Hellfire OX
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.7mm
hangdog wrote:
jeanc wrote:
Were any of the games close?

Not the ones between me and Reb! :P He did ask after you, BTW…

I was slaughtered by my unrated Div. 5 opponent 3-0, and lost in the 5th game after trailing my Div. 4 opponent 0-2.

But it's all good – just need to set myself some new specific training goals and think about how to focus better in match situations. I've been playing way too much the last few weeks, so my downtime at home has been spent more on recovering from aches and pains than on robot workouts or service training.

It's all part of the learning curve

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 18:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Was great to meet you today hangdog. I can see potential in your game. Glad we got to have a brief game before the table got taken by an official match. I can see some good mechanics in your shots, you just need to get control over it and then build consistency. That shot you hit past me in the 2nd set was great.

I saw you wave as you left while I was umpiring, but you'd turned around by the time I'd seen you.

I can tell you, the rest of my day wasn't too successful. The first match I played was against one of those South Australian "ring-in's" :P A youth with the advice of a coach that corrected him after I won the first set 11-6. His game went beserk on the attack and he landed almost everything and got me 11-7. In the third, I thought I might go one up when I got to deuce with him and went 11-10, but he took back the lead and won 13-11. In the 4th set he was all over me getting to a 10-6 lead. Then I got him nervous as I came all the way up to 10-9, when he snared the winning point he was after. I was amazed to see later I was no.1 seed and that this had been a div 3 match. I was sure it must have been div 2 by the quality of the match. I played really well and still lost! And the kid was rated 160 points below me. Yet he played like I'd expect someone rated 1500 (or more) would play.

The next match I played was Div 2, again to a young guy who was 21. I narrowly lost the first set to this guy. 12-10 IIRC. I won th second set more easily, 11-7 or so. Then he got me about 11-8. This guy looped to my BH a lot and my FH was on fire. When he hit to my FH, I smashed winners on him. I must have reached double figures in the smashes I hit in the match on him and I didn't miss one. I beat him 13-11 in the 4th set and thought I was a good chance for the win. He turned 5-4 up on me and I had hit a couple f FH smashes in that, but now he was blocking them back. I think I hadn't hit them as wide as the earlier winners. He began sticking almost exclusively to my BH from there and looped deep into the corner. While I got a lot of these back he managed to get them through me eventually in the long rallies. He got me 11-6 in the end...and there ended my official games for the day.

In vets a couple of division entries like this would see me end up with maybe 4 or 5 matches at least. I didn't want to be too tired for pennant tomorrow night, but in the end I wanted more lol. Tables weren't free for a hit much during the day, so I ended up umpiring a lot of games. By the time tables were free, there was no-one much around for a hit. So I ended up watching and supporting the Dandy players who'd made it into finals. There were some great matches played, but I had to leave before most the big finals like the Mens final. I watched Heming Hu play his semi-final and took video of the match. He was heading into the final to play someone named George who was a monster of a player.

I'll post some of the vids I took when I get them uploaded. Heming has made the Olympic Team for Rio along with Dave Powell and Chris Yan. Hopefully he was able to beat this George guy.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 18:26 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Was great to meet you today hangdog. I can see potential in your game. Glad we got to have a brief game before the table got taken by an official match. I can see some good mechanics in your shots, you just need to get control over it and then build consistency. That shot you hit past me in the 2nd set was great.

I saw you wave as you left while I was umpiring, but you'd turned around by the time I'd seen you.

I can tell you, the rest of my day wasn't too successful. The first match I played was against one of those South Australian "ring-in's" :P A youth with the advice of a coach that corrected him after I won the first set 11-6. His game went beserk on the attack and he landed almost everything and got me 11-7. In the third, I thought I might go one up when I got to deuce with him and went 11-10, but he took back the lead and won 13-11. In the 4th set he was all over me getting to a 10-6 lead. Then I got him nervous as I came all the way up to 10-9, when he snared the winning point he was after. I was amazed to see later I was no.1 seed and that this had been a div 3 match.

That's pretty good to be seeded no.1. What's your rating?

Also, was it George Pittas playing Hu?

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 18:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I WAS 1297 :lol: , won't be now! Probably lose 50 points today...maybe more.

It could have been Jeanc. He's a very heavy looking guy with not much hair and a huge BH shot from a very short swing. He wiped Danny Semmler off the table in the O30's final with it. Danny is no pushover.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 18:45 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I WAS 1297 :lol: , won't be now! Probably lose 50 points today...maybe more.

It could have been Jeanc. He's a very heavy looking guy with not much hair and a huge BH shot from a very short swing. He wiped Danny Semmler off the table in the O30's final with it. Danny is no pushover.

That's George Pittas. Apparently he used to be number 4 in Greece. He's a coach now for HWATT

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 18:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Yes....he was wearing lots of HWATT shirts....one every match I think as he was sweating so much :lol:

Simon and Joe Gerada were there today, and a lot of other HWATT players.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 10:35 

Good to meet you yesterday, Reb!

Hopefully will become more active on here again :P

BoyfromCoburg :)

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 14:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

BoyfromCoburg wrote:

Indeed it was good to meet you too BFC. If not for the OOAK shirt, I never would have picked you as a member here. How did you go yesterday?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 17:24 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
BoyfromCoburg wrote:

Indeed it was good to meet you too BFC. If not for the OOAK shirt, I never would have picked you as a member here. How did you go yesterday?

Exactly...blue OOAK shirts unite! I played ok, didn't win any competitions, but played well against George Pittas. Scores like 9-11, 8-11, 6-11, etc..so was happy with that, had some other good wins. Not too bad, but could have done better if I trained more! :D

How did you go in the end?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 01:35 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

BoyfromCoburg wrote:
How did you go in the end?

Well I scored a LOT of matches :lol: But I just had the 2 matches as described in the post up above. Felt I played well in them, but the young guys were just too fast and strong for me. I was quite surprised at the quality of players in Div 2 and even 3. I hold my own in the Vets in those divisions and I was competitive yesterday, but just got pipped (excuse the pun :lol: ).

Tonight we had our final round of pennant before the finals next week. We were 3rd on the ladder and needed a 7-4 win against the 2nd team to go into a countback with them for a spot in the final. We started really badly, 3-0 down. We won the first doubles and then one of my teamies and then I won our next singles matches to get back to 3 all. Other teamy lost his next to be 4-3 don and we couldn't afford one more loss. We won the second doubles....we have been terrible at doubles this season and have barely won any, so winning 2 in the same night was a coup. The teamy with a game up his sleeve won his next 3-0 to a guy who beat him last time we met. My other teamy who'd only won the 2nd doubles with me scraped out of his match with 11-8 in the 5th set. So that just left me to play the last match, with only a possible finals berth riding on it....NO PRESSURE! :P

I broke out with good leads (like ~7-1) in the first 2 sets only to be pegged back by the guy and managed to close them out around 11-8 each. In the third set I made the same early lead but this time I just kept hammering, not letting myself relax. I got to 9-1, then 10-2 and 11-2. So we got into the countback, which we won! So we're in the A3 final next week giving us a chance to go back to A2 which we played in last season (we finished 5/8 but still got relegated due to a change in 1 team member). So I had a much better pennant tonight than I had tournament yesterday :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 08:11 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
And here's the Ratings Central summary! http://www.ratingscentral.com/EventSumm ... ntID=20538

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 10:15 

hangdog wrote:
And here's the Ratings Central summary! http://www.ratingscentral.com/EventSumm ... ntID=20538

One of the games you played the score shows it was really close. The other one, your opponent had a higher rating.
Keep training, you are in the rigth path

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 16:45 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

jeanc wrote:
hangdog wrote:

One of the games you played the score shows it was really close. The other one, your opponent had a higher rating.

Believe me Jean, the one who was rated lower than me had a very dodgy rating. His game would stand him good stead in at least A2 at either Dandy or Croydon. He may even do ok in A1 at Dandy, not sure about Croydon. The other guy I played wasn't as good as the lower rated one, but he played me cleverly and didn't have too much trouble with my pips. He gave me quite a lot of FH smash opportunities and I nailed them all, which would win me most matches I play. He took what he learnt in the first 4 sets though and used it well in the 5th.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 17:28 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
jeanc wrote:
hangdog wrote:

Believe me Jean, the one who was rated lower than me had a very dodgy rating. His game would stand him good stead in at least A2 at either Dandy or Croydon. He may even do ok in A1 at Dandy, not sure about Croydon. The other guy I played wasn't as good as the lower rated one, but he played me cleverly and didn't have too much trouble with my pips. He gave me quite a lot of FH smash opportunities and I nailed them all, which would win me most matches I play. He took what he learnt in the first 4 sets though and used it well in the 5th.

Reb,
Yes, you can get this outliers from rating central with a dodgy rating. The good thing is that they don't last long with those ratings

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 17:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Here's a couple of vids I've uploaded so far:

https://youtu.be/N7mJA9Y5zxY

https://youtu.be/Df4DVDEmAOU

The first is of miao miao. I introduced myself to her for the first time ever. She was very pleasant, but didn't have much English, so having a conversation with her was difficult.

The second link is the first set of Heming Hu's semi-final in the Men's Open.

More to come...

Jean, the kids rating is slowly rising. Right now, I'd put him at mid 1400's at least. One of our club members, MP is at about 1350 and I've only ever lost to him once (out of about 6 or 7 matches). BF would be 100 points better IMO. If Dandy would put points in from our pennant I think I'd be around 1350-1400, but with only the occasional tournament to get results into rating central (and then meet guys like I did on Sunday as the only matches). Anyway, it is what it is and you can't get too caught up in ratings. I'll take winning competitions over it any day :lol: