OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 22:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 19:02 

So a post about fashion...
Couple of weeks ago i went to a shop to buy shoes and i have spent some time there trying different shoes, different brands.. Like my wife would do.
But as you guess that would be shoes for playing our favourit sport that i was trying to buy. First thing to note, most sport shops would not have any. All they sell is running shoes and as I read here we need something for moving sideways. Pauls Warehouse had some cross trainers advertised but staff did not know where they were because their shoes arranged by.. Colour!
I did not want to buy online because i wanted to try and make sure i am comfortable. So i ended up going to a tennis shop in cbd where they sell squash and badminton shoes. Unfortunately no mizuno shoes there but after trying a few i ended up buying a brand i did not know about at all. Then i took it to The Coach to ask his opinion and he was ok with it.
I cannot say it improved my loops or anything like that but it made me feel stable when training or playing which i really appreciate.

On the training side, still doing a lot of multi ball top spins both wings, better say still learning. I ginally got in a position where i think my body and my arm were moving as required. Completely different feeling than kind of top spinning with my arm only on straight legs- where i started. Need to get it into habit, trying to exercise it at home with no table.

On playing at work I found out that there is an organisation where they have similar set up as us and they actually made one step forward and invited a nsw accredited coach to train those who wish, which i was going to try. I hope the person will be able to come to us, will see how it will work. While our singles going to round 2 we are starting doubles. Fancy that some people who did not want to play singles happily registered for doubles.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2016, 07:54 

Got my a$$ kicked in a local tournament:(
Playing competitively is so different to playing those games with your friends when you do not care much about result. Playing a new person whom you never met before is so different to playing the same friend every other day.

I think the guy I lost to was not ubeatable for me and this is why it s$cks. I would be ok to lose a match to someone much better but in this case my inexperience to adjust my game was the case.

I had troubles with his sidespin serves going inwards on my bh not outwards like most players of our level will do. So I tried to chop and got them high or miss completely. The rallies were a short push backspin all the time and i could play my game- deep chop or loop from far away. Later I understood that my chop at receiving his serves was not strong enough. Again because my friend has a weak rubber and cannot put a lot of spin so I got used to overspin him easily without putting much effort. But this guy had much better rubbers which I checked before the game and wAs prepared but did not put in practice. Near the end of game3 only i started to take serves very late under the table and had better success. I also tried to top spin them from bh but got them long and gave up. That was another much better option.

We have this deception sometimes that everybody is good at loop game so nothing easy should go to their fh and better push to bh and serve to bh with back spun.. But during warmup the guy showed that he had no interest in looping and would push only everything with bh.. Well some players may do in purpose but nit at our level i think. He even displayed his serve then. So if i had better mindset i should have adjusted. His rubber was good and i clearly could not top-side spin over the table which again i can easily do with my friend. I even missed couple if pushes and landed some in the net.

So the rught yhing would be to try to impose top spin loop game on him whenever i could! Serve top or no spin to fh, put more balls there and do not go push game. But too late now- this us a skill one need to have during the game!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2016, 19:15 

Long story short I had to pause TT training for various family reasons. But i came across this long pimples bat on ebay on a very good special. So after asking here in an adjacent subforum i decided to go for it: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111985347236 . It had 729 3020 blade which is very light but very hard to control as well. Friendship Focus with 2.2mm sponge (which makes it even harder to control) and 755 LP rubber with 0.5mm sponge which is what I wanted to try!...

I read a bit about techniques with LP.. And my first impression that my opponent who is above my level just got confused. I pushed few times with inverted twiddled and pushed with pips and anothet frustration from him. However it made it hard to play for me as well! I guess he never played against LP and this is why i got him. But his friend definitely did. He returned my LP pushes very high and i wanted to hit with inverted and had no time to either position myself or twiddle. I definitely lack of pips flat shot which is how i should have killed those.

Also habits turn on that i have inverted on my bh and can do a fh lift loop above the table on a chopped ball. So it created confusion for me but i have got 1st experience! :)

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2016, 23:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think you have the bug... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2016, 08:40 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Hi Jay,

Have you seen the thread on Whirlpool forums about table tennis at work running afoul of OH & S? Fortunately it has been resolved and they are back playing now. I thought of you and your playing at work when I read about it.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2016, 18:51 
I am Legend
I am Legend

My last office moved the table from the main lunchroom (too loud!), to the workshops lunchroom (too loud!) and then finally out into the warehouse. I think they wanted us to wear PPE so we could exit the marked out walkways and enter the warehouse...

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 18:00 

Thanks, Retriever, have not seen that thread yet, will have a look. I also thought long ago that if injury occurs due to playing tt most likely the person will claim workers comp which company is not interested in. But did not think of OH&S...

Silver, warehouse would be a great place to play- a lot of space, high ceiling so I could finally practice some lob shots. Unfortunately in our case most attempts like that end up ball stuck above false ceiling...

Haggisv yeah I still find playing pips completely different experience which is very confusing!... The guys worked out tactics against me and serve fast and flat to my bh. Fancy that when i try to hit these flat some end up in a net:( and any chop attempt pops the ball badly..