OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 08:08 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Reviewer: Retriever who has been playing competitively since 1982.

Methodology: First hit with absolutely any plastic ball ever. Spent about 15-20 minutes hitting around with an attacking style player

Findings:
Timing was wrong, touch shots were hopeless, defensive shots did not carry even to the net, let alone to be deep on the opponent's side. The new ball is just baaad for me. I weathered the 38 - 40 mm change with almost no change to my game. The one bright spot was that my forehand smash seemed to be working, but as I smash so seldom that is a very small bright spot. I thought of retiring from table tennis for all of oooh half a second. Spin did seem to be a little less, and I did not really notice having any more time for returns due to the ball being theoretically slower.

Other comments:
I was playing a lot more during the 38 - 40 mm change. I am going to have to spend a lot of time just playing with the new ball. I can see why a lot of players are looking to equipment changes (faster blade, faster and / or spinnier rubbers) to make their shots just work with the plastic ball. Unfortunately, my regular weekly 2 hours is at a venue with white walls, so we are making the last of our orange celluloid balls last.

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 10:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks Retriever!

Is that the first plastic ball you've tried?

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 12:57 

Please re-read paragraph headed Methodology. Yes it is the first time I have ever laid rubber on plastic ever.

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 15:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Haven't tried the Stag ball, but I have tried about four different seamless balls (all the same). And the DHS and Double Fish seamed plastic balls. Yes, they do feel different compared to celluloid. The thing that disconcerts me the most (about the seamless balls) is the propensity to jump sideways. This, people say, is because it retains spin better than celluloid balls (or the DHS and Double Fish balls) do, even if you can't put as much spin on it to begin with. But I can play with it OK (I mainly loop and hit these days, except on windy days when everything doesn't work and pushing is the name of the game). They strike me as being harder than the other balls, they bounce slightly higher, too. I can still put enough spin on my loops that my opponents (about my level and less) can't return them (blocks go sailing off into the distance, er, off the end of the table). Switching back and forth doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.

These days (for weekend social doubles) we're mainly using celluloid balls. I got a large number from the Minkow factory just as they were shutting down celluloid ball production, and these have no identifying marks at all! I've also got enough Double Fish 1 star celluloids to last me till kingdom come but those snobs won't play with them... :lol: (I've been vague about what was SUPPOSED to be printed on those markless balls... they might be 3 star DHS - or Stiga or Tibhar or Donic for all we know... Minkow was OEMing those... actually they're Double Circle balls.. :lol: )

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 15:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think Stag balls are seamless, and made by XSF, aren't they?

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 15:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

According to their catalog, their three star plastic "Peter Karlsson" ball is seamless. It's also listed on the ITTF site that way:

By the way... does that look like a stag to you? :lol: Not much of one, no huge antlers... :lol: Looks more like a Dobermann. Or a doe, if anything.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 16:13 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
haggisv wrote:

I'd say quite likely as they play the same, as do the palio seamless.

185g

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 19:30 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
haggisv wrote:

The Stag, XSF and Yinhe balls are made in exactly the same factory, with exactly the same plastic, using exactly the same moulding. The only difference is that after a certain number of batches, the stamp changes, and out pip Stag or Yinhe balls instead. The difference between them is entirely down to QA - some manufacturers will set lower standards, and there's a trade-off between wastage/time/price.

I know this because a friend of mine went to the factory where the balls are made and watched it all happening!

PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 00:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

LordCope wrote:
haggisv wrote:

The Stag, XSF and Yinhe balls are made in exactly the same factory, with exactly the same plastic, using exactly the same moulding. The only difference is that after a certain number of batches, the stamp changes, and out pip Stag or Yinhe balls instead. The difference between them is entirely down to QA - some manufacturers will set lower standards, and there's a trade-off between wastage/time/price.

I know this because a friend of mine went to the factory where the balls are made and watched it all happening!

Can you tell us more? Where was the factory? ;)

(I guess the QC part explains why there are two grades of Kingnik 3 star balls now.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 01:51 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I tried both version of XSF (domestic china version and international version, both have different marking on the balls and different box) and also Yinhe. I can say certainly the XSF are different than Yinhe when played (they even look different, different kind of white) even if are made in the same factory. The people I had tried them with also said the same thing, they play different.

PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 11:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Dates of manufacture?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 11:34 

OP here.

XGAE = 0615 ==> June 2015.

PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 14:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
LordCope wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Obviously the shape of that stamp makes all the difference in how the ball plays! :P :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 15:37 
Chinese Forum Spy

Apart from the Nittaku Premium 40+ ball, the rest of the field is pretty terrible in one way or another.

But I feel for ya mate, bloody TTNSW using Stag balls as their official ball is pretty hard to handle.

PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 16:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Retriever wrote:
OP here.

XGAE = 0615 ==> June 2015.

I was wondering if the difference between the XuShaoFa balls and the Yinhe balls Rockphish mentioned was due to difference in manufacturing date.

gekogark1212 wrote:
Apart from the Nittaku Premium 40+ ball, the rest of the field is pretty terrible in one way or another.

But I feel for ya mate, bloody TTNSW using Stag balls as their official ball is pretty hard to handle.

But I recall someone posting that those balls have a durability problem (like DHS and Tibhar seamed balls do).

Iskandar