OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ringer's Blog
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 12:15 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
No to little TT has gotta bite, but that is how it can be in big ole USA if you are not in the right place.

You never know though, so keep ears open and eyes on the forum.

We gunna miss you and your journey.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2016, 19:15 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
A shame to read this. Hopefully see you back soon.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 02:03 
Super User

Welp, I've gotten so out of shape that I've decided it's time to start hitting the little white ball again.

Video evidence:

My plan is to practice 45 minutes a day at my house (30 mins on either the return board or Newgy 3050XL robot, 15 mins of serving practice). We'll see if I stick to the plan or not. I can only play with other humans one day per week, so staying motivated is pretty difficult.

Lately I've just been using the return board to get my stroke back and to experiment with different types of brushing.

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 07:45 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Welcome back Ringer. Time flies.....2 years.:0

PostPosted: 14 May 2018, 03:05 
Super User

Cobalt wrote:
Welcome back Ringer. Time flies.....2 years.:0

Really nice to hear from you, Cobalt! Hope life is treating you well. I'm going to have to take a look and see if you're still updating your blog. :D

Meanwhile, found this crazy sharp BH punch:

I wish I had me one of those.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 10:39 

RRRRRRRRRiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

Ringer, good to see you in the spirit.

PostPosted: 30 May 2018, 11:56 
Super User

Some good news to report from the mountains of good ol' West Virginia: A local 2000+ player (Steve) has agreed to work with me once a week. We're going to do a little multiball, a little match play, and a little whatever. I'm just excited to be able to play with a real person for a change.

We played 3 short games to 5 points at the end of our session. Steve won 2 out of the 3 games (-4, 4, 2). His ball placement, anticipation, and quick feet are a bit too much for me.

I seem to be unable to take a proper backswing on the BH side against incoming topspin.

Edit: Not sure what happened to the sound in Game 3.

PostPosted: 30 May 2018, 12:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

That is great news! Steve clearly can play, and he looks just as happy to have a quality practice partner.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 30 May 2018, 23:47 
Super User

BRS wrote:
That is great news! Steve clearly can play, and he looks just as happy to have a quality practice partner.
Thanks man. He's basically stuck in the same position as I am with nobody to play. It's really impressive how he's able to play at this level. He beat a 2100 junior and a 2200 player in his last tourney at MDTTC.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 13:19 
Super User

Two backhands comparison:

In the first image, I take a poor backswing and at no point does my elbow come in front of my wrist. This is the type of waving and reaching for the ball that I tend to do whenever I play a match.

In the second image, my backswing looks much better. It's the classic frisbee position with the elbow out and forward. The downward tilt of my forearm suggests to me that I came more around the side of the ball, too.

Drills I'll be working on over the next few months:

1) Hooking and fading the ball with the forehand:

2) Backhand diagonal battles

3) Transition work (Both static and random stufff)

4) Drills that begin with a short serve to my forehand

5) Learning to pivot with multiball

As a side note, I've decided to completely shelf my pendulum serve the for time being. I'm going to serve almost exclusively backspin/no spin for awhile.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 15:00 

Some of the BH issues are simply not getting waist down enough 2:05 and 2:10 show two bad and good stories.

You don't need a mile long backswing vs topspin, just a whip and timing. Try using a shorter backswing and a little less power... adjust grip pressure at impact depending on how fast or slow you want the ball to go. Try starting and finishing loose with a compact stroke. You will handle incoming spin easier, have control, but ball won't be a rocket return. As you get more confident in feel and timing, add more whip and firm up at impact to really get it going.

This is a progressive approach and not the only path.

For me in a match, consistently getting to the ball and having the right timing is the most difficult thing for me to get right on a BH counterloop vs incoming topspin away from table. Close to table, too easy, just get to the bounce and short whip real loose, away from table much harder for me to time.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 21:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

On the first bh he returned off the corner and you didn't move over some inches to get your body in front of the ball. The second one he returned perfectly to you, so you didn't need to move and could do your swing.

IMO when we have match problems with strokes that work great in drills it's seldom the stroke production that is at fault. The ball and the body just aren't in an alignment that allows the proper stroke to happen.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 07:42 
Super User

BRS wrote:
IMO when we have match problems with strokes that work great in drills it's seldom the stroke production that is at fault. The ball and the body just aren't in an alignment that allows the proper stroke to happen.

100% agreed. The problem for me right now is that the stroke is falling apart even in simple transition drills when I know where the ball is coming. I'll try to post some video of my session with Steve tomorrow. We're going to work the backhand pretty hard.

Der_Echte wrote:
Some of the BH issues are simply not getting waist down enough 2:05 and 2:10 show two bad and good stories.

You don't need a mile long backswing vs topspin, just a whip and timing. Try using a shorter backswing and a little less power... adjust grip pressure at impact depending on how fast or slow you want the ball to go. Try starting and finishing loose with a compact stroke. You will handle incoming spin easier, have control, but ball won't be a rocket return. As you get more confident in feel and timing, add more whip and firm up at impact to really get it going.

This is a progressive approach and not the only path.

For me in a match, consistently getting to the ball and having the right timing is the most difficult thing for me to get right on a BH counterloop vs incoming topspin away from table. Close to table, too easy, just get to the bounce and short whip real loose, away from table much harder for me to time.

Thanks Der! I did some work on the return board and I think I'm finally starting to get what you mean by adjusting the grip pressure at contact. We'll see. Good call on getting the waist lower, too.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2018, 02:31 
Super User

Random FH/BH transition with Steve:

I played mostly BH counters in this video. There is something goofy happening on my BH counter, but I'm not quite sure what it is. I believe I might be dropping the racket too much below the ball, which is causing too much upwards movement in the stroke. I can tell I'm taking several different types of swings at the ball, some better than others. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I'm going to try to get this resolved before working on BH topspin against block.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2018, 11:15 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Good job Ringer, looks an easy drill but I know it's not. To me it looks like your ready position is very backhand orientated. You appear quick on the backhand but late on forehand. We can't see your feet but perhaps they are firmly planted until a really wide one comes. Having said this you do a better job than me and I might even try this at practice today and post a video to show how hopeless I am at it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next