OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 14:33 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Any tips or advice?

I'm switching to shakehand with the intention of playing long pips on backhand. Currently I play penhold short pips on forehand and inverted on bh. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Unsure if I'll stick with sp on fh but I like this so thinking yes. More concerned about going from ph to sh but this is on advice of a coach I trust.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 15:36 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
First thing I would do is learn to twiddle using the shakehands. That'll give you heaps more variety and stop your spin from becoming "predictable". :up:

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 17:15 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Musicfreak0 wrote:
First thing I would do is learn to twiddle using the shakehands. That'll give you heaps more variety and stop your spin from becoming "predictable". :up:

I'd probably disagree somewhat - while twiddling is quite useful, I would not put it that high on the list for someone who is just starting out with LP and is switching from penhold as well. Perhaps later, although I've been playing with LP ~1.5 years and still not into twiddling stage.

I'd recommend OX or thin sponge to start with - more control. Learn what LP can (and can not) do. Figure out what you will use it for and how it fits into your playing style - will you be a close to the table blocker or chopper?

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 17:29 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
pgpg wrote:
I'd probably disagree somewhat - while twiddling is quite useful, I would not put it that high on the list for someone who is just starting out with LP and is switching from penhold as well. Perhaps later, although I've been playing with LP ~1.5 years and still not into twiddling stage.

Fair enough; I'm probably a bit biased because twiddling is such a big part of my game. I do think learning a shakehand inverted bh is important, though, and twiddling allows for that luxury, as well as being able to use the LP when needed.

pgpg wrote:
I'd recommend OX or thin sponge to start with - more control. Learn what LP can (and can not) do. Figure out what you will use it for and how it fits into your playing style - will you be a close to the table blocker or chopper?

I'd probably go with the thin sponge, but I definitely agree with you now that learning the strengths and weaknesses of LP and how to use them is probably more important.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 23:04 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Why is your coach suggesting the switch?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 00:02 
Super User

Hi Leatherback,

My coach thinks and I agree that I would benefit from the ability to slow down the game on bh side. I've been playing full on for a year and exercising like with jump rope exercises etc and still have no hope of covering both sides of the table as required with inverted. I was thinking just keep trying but truth is I've been going all out already and when coach suggested a change I said why not. I still haven't made the switch. We decided to give it a try for week.

I twiddle some already for serving and I think sh twiddle should be easier.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 01:05 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

If you played short pips on PH. I see no reason why you shouldn't stick with it. Shake hand with short pips on forehand and long on the back is very common and can be very effective, especially with the new ball that sits up a bit higher.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 05:40 
Super User

I was thinking the same thing that I could stay ph and just switch from smooth to LPs. I'm going to talk to my coach tomorrow. He's a ph player himself but it is true that I rarely see ph LPs players who don't just use them every once in awhile and not as RPB.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 12:26 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

There is some GREAT PH long pip players. If I wasn't a chopper that is the style I would play.