OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

What impact will Table Tennis X have?
Positive 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Neutral 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Negative 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 26
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 09:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
As just annouced by the ITTF, they've introduced something new:
ITTF wrote:
The new table tennis is here - TTX

The new form of table table - Table Tennis X (TTX) has been launched in style today on the eve of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

TTX is fun, cool, youthful, edgy, and can be played on top of a building, on the beach, in the city centre, a nightclub or literally anywhere with a table!This fits in perfectly with IOC President Thomas BACH's statement yesterday that the IOC wants to take sport to the youth and not wait for them to come to the sport.

The TTX ball is bigger and heavier to suit outdoor play, simplified rackets with less spin, matches will be played in three 2 minute sets instead of first 11 and you can even score more points with 'winners' and 'wild cards'. This is TTX, this is a sport for all ages to be played anytime anywhere.

The exciting new time-bound format that will amplify the excitement of conventional table tennis by reducing the skills gap between participants and increasing the level of variety and unpredictability to gameplay. Events in the future will be created to appeal to the ever changing lifestyles of the modern era.

ITTF President Thomas WEIKERT stated: "This is the table tennis revolution that the world has been waiting for. TTX is for the young and young at heart and takes table tennis to you, instead of you having to come to table tennis. The ITTF believes that this can perfectly complement our professional table tennis game, as it connects the hobby player that plays with their mates at home to a viable competition format which is designed around having fun. Pick up your bat and go play some TTX."

"It was also a perfect moment for our sport which has been internally criticized for too many changes in recent years. Here we can do many new things, experiment with cool new ideas and at the same time, allow some time for our professional game to adapt to the recent changes."

The TTX event series will be announced in the coming months, with this new exciting brand of table tennis coming to a city near you very shortly.

Some basic rules to get you started:

* Matches are the best of 3 sets, 2 minutes each. If the set ends with a tie, there is a sudden death point to determine the winner!
* No restrictions on the serve, serve it anyway you like!
* 2 extra points for a winner (opponent does not touch the ball with their racket)
* 1 wildcard per player per set! The player must call wildcard before they serve and if the person who calls the wildcard wins that point they gain 2 points. If they hit a winner on a wildcard point you get 4!
* Have fun and stay cool
For more information: ttxWorld.com

Do you think this will have a positive, negative or neutral impact on our main sport Table Tennis?

Post subject: Re: Table Tennis X
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 09:38 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
I don't think it will have any significant impact. TTX borrows from some of the other TT niches: golden point from World Championship of ping pong, less spinny bats from hardbat (or old school TT), heavier ball from 44mm, etc. Ping pong is already popular at the recreational level, and another "basement rules" variation won't make it more so.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 09:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you think about it.. there's already been a bunch of initiatives like this. WCPP is one, that Table Tennis Summer event in Chicago (almost 20 years ago) was another, and out of that came Killerspin (which continues to organize offbeat table tennis events around Chicago). On a somewhat different level you have hardbat and sandpaper events at major US tournaments, Liha in the Phillipines and even the 44mm game in Japan, Korea and Europe. None of these has had a major impact on table tennis, yet, some have a very loyal and fairly large following all of their own. Whether or not this event succeeds will depend on how much effort and money gets put into it (read: how much corporate sponsorship can be found for events). I see "street basketball" (3 on 3 with one basket) tournaments being held here at shopping malls, I kinda see it as that sort of thing. If they do things right there'll be mall tournaments, street tournaments, etc. with prize money, and there will be a few who take it seriously enough and get good enough at it that they might actually put the top level tournaments on ESPN (together with the pinewood derby and pickleball world championships). Will this bring new players to our sport? Maybe not.. but remember we're a pretty tiny sport as it is, anyway, compared to the likes of tennis or badminton, so it's not like we're in the position to throw stones.

Don't like it? Fine, no one's forcing anyone to do it. But I'll bet someone rated 2000+ in regular table tennis would be able to beat most people in this new game.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 10:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes good point guys!

Perhaps the ITTF want (yet) another recreational version of the sport that they're in control off, whereas all the others they have no control over at all.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 10:54 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I agree with iskandar and hangdog; and players rated over 2000 USATT would most certainly dominate most people if they play.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 11:28 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
All TT Clubs could help by adopting TTX for league play.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 12:08 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

It's like having the international governing body of cycling introducing an exciting new and "rejuvenating" sport called "tricycle". How ridiculous! I am speechless. :|

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 12:20 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
If you ask me it's a place where the ittf can test out their nut ball ideas on how to "improve" the game. Hard solid net, time limits on games. Bigger, heavier balls. If everyone likes this then they can point to it and say, "see, more people would play if we changed the balls,etc.", "it would grow the game".

The worst aspect of this is the time thing. Oddly enough, it's the most concrete rule, but feels the most arbitrary.

I just have a hard time seeing it going anywhere. You still need a table, paddle, balls, and most of all agreement on the rules. Isn't that one of the main challenges to standard basement TT in bars and stuff? How does this overcome those challenges?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 12:21 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
...anyone heard of pickleball? ITTF is late on the uptake.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 13:47 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I want to know if the new equipment has to be ITTF approved.
That might answer how this came about. :(

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 13:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

hookshot wrote:
I want to know if the new equipment has to be ITTF approved.
That might answer how this came about. :(

Yep, I'm betting they'll make something out of this...

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 14:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

As I've said, there are already a bunch of other "forms of table tennis". I haven't seen any of them generate negativity. I've never seen anyone accuse Hardbat of trying to "change" table tennis. The difference here is that the ITTF is involved, which is why there is suspicion that there are ulterior motives. I don't think there's any need for this, just wait and see what happens. Either it doesn't catch on and everyone will have forgotten about it in a couple years, or it WILL catch on (at least in some areas) and it'll generate a following of its own. Why should this affect anything anyone else does? If it does catch on, as I said, there'll be tournaments at shopping malls, maybe people will set up outdoor tables in parks (there are supposedly tons of these in China) and schoolyards, etc. Supposing they do introduce a TTX event at the US Open - some people will enter, most probably won't. No need to get upset about it.

As for equipment approvals - sure, but that only affects tournaments ITTF sanctions. If you want to play TTX with your neighbors, no one will force you to buy ITTF stuff. Same with tournaments run by other parties, unless they voluntarily impose the requirement. Will ITTF be able to prevent the sale of non-ITTF equipment in stores? No more than they can restrict what table tennis equipment is being sold now. How would they do it anyway? Act of Parliament? They'd be able to restrict the use of trademarks and logos, but nothing else. Is it a money making scheme for ITTF? Undoubtedly. So what?

I would like to see someone try to play this on the outdoor tables at the Free University in Amsterdam - problem there is there's a reason why there are so many windmills in Holland! The only form of table tennis there, I think, would be with pickleball bats and SuperBalls (though you might get away with American-style squash balls). You'd have to stand back about 30 feet and loop at each other.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 14:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You make some good points iskandar taib, I agree :up:

The thing is though, that the ITTF is using our money (well the money generated from our sport) to establish & promote this, so we should reasonably expect it to offer benefits to our sports. If it doesn't, or worse if it actually converts TT players to TTX players, they're wasting money and resources.

I'd really like to see some reasoning behind this idea, with evidence and research (perhaps based on other sports that have tried this) to show that it will affect a sport in a positive way.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 19:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I expect it to be self-supporting eventually. For this to take off, there will need to be money from sponsorships and fees to pay for setting up tournaments, prize money, promotion, etc. Some of those funds might, I suppose, come back to the "real" table tennis side of things so that "we" (or more likely, the likes of Zhang Jike and Ma Long) might benefit.

Then again - it's not like we pay taxes to ITTF. Sure, companies pay ITTF to get their equipment certified/approved, that cost is passed along to us but it's probably pretty minimal given that some ITTF-legal rubbers and blades can be had for under $5. Also, a small part of the dues you pay to your national organization and to participate in tournaments might make it to the ITTF. It does take a lot of money to run ITTF (to pay for running international competitions, to pay prize money, etc.) but most of that comes from sponsorships, many from companies with which you and I have no contact and who therefore can't pass the cost on to us (When's the last time you bought a car from GAC, or bought a bulldozer from Liebherr?).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 23:29 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
I guess my less charitable view of TTX (compared to 'iskandar', at least) is because of this:

1. I am skeptical that TTX will convert sizable number of participants (however many it can muster) to TT - it's just too different: ball, paddles, rules (or lack thereof), scoring system, time aspect.

2. Nothing stopped recreational ping pong players today from coming up with TTX-like system. They did not (at least I don't know, perhaps 2-minute matches are already all the rage somewhere), which tells me that proposed rules and scoring are not 'organic' and play-tested: just someone's (probably marketing consultant) idea what 'extreme' is and that it might be the missing piece to make TT-like game popular.

3. Rules, scoring system, and timed aspect just don't make sense - they don't seem to work together, too many exploits possible.

4. There is opportunity cost to everything - since ITTF does this, it won't do quite a bit of other stuff, since resources are limited. So, not as harmless as it might appear.

I'd be extremely bummed if USATT spends even a small $/effort amount on this.