OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What impact will Table Tennis X have?
Positive 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Neutral 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Negative 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 26
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 23:41 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
TTX , the sport of the future in USA ping pong circles.

:rofl: :rock: :party: :Chop: :Defense:

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 23:50 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
To put things into perspective: when I google for 'TTX table tennis' or 'Table tennis X', I only get ITTF and its affiliate sites. Nothing else (TT forum discussions excluded - we know how well it went there)

So, does not look like it is taking the world by storm so far, despite being 'cool' and 'extreme'. Curious what will be ITTF's next move.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 03:43 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
The ITTF is pushing national associations to include TTX events along with their regular table tennis events.

Alaor Azevedo, President of the Brazilian Table Tennis Confederation, is on the record saying “We will introduce this into our National Championships next year.”

A few passage from the ITTF article:

The purist might raise the eyebrow in anger but thousands flock to watch the new form of established disciplines. [i.e. beach volleyball]

Therefore is Table Tennis X a return to yesteryear? No, it is a sport for tomorrow, a sport with an element of glitz and glamour, bright colours.

Organising Table Tennis X events alongside the mainstream; it could well be the best way forward. National associations, a challenge beckons; give it a go!

http://new.ittf.com/2016/08/04/two-days ... -x-factor/

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 04:55 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
One advantage of TTX for the USA market, TTX won't be rated, just age and sex restricted tournament events.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 17:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

For the present, anyway... but then when USATT gets ahold of it... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 17:37 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Table Tennis Daily has a new interview with ITTF Marketing Director Steve Dainton, in which he goes into more detail about TTX:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/podca ... e-dainton/

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 19:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
hangdog wrote:
Table Tennis Daily has a new interview with ITTF Marketing Director Steve Dainton, in which he goes into more detail about TTX:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/podca ... e-dainton/

Thanks for posting hangdog!

Arrrggg, a podcast :( :( :( I must be getting old, I hate podcasts... :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 19:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

One problem I can see with the time-limited thing is you now need another piece of equipment - a clock or stopwatch or egg timer. And a timekeeper maybe. Ugh. If you want short games limit games to six points. (I can see pitter-patter games between quasi-beginners taking a long time.)

The interviewer keeps saying "I like it". :lol: And the World Ping Pong thing gets mentioned.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 20:19 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
this will cater more to power players i guess in the future, rather then technical side of ping pong, maybe i give it a try if they have it nearby.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 20:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You can't really put too much power on a ball without the topspin, though. The ball's not going to dip and hit the table. Try it with a wooden bat or clipboard sometime. There will be a lot less pace on the ball, as well as a lot less spin.

I think they'll have to use a plastic ball - if they go to rubber that will change something I'm pretty sure they don't want to change - the sound. It isn't table tennis if the ball doesn't make that "thwack" sound when it hits the table.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 21:10 
Super User

hm we gotta give it a try then in haha, someone will find out how to dominate this games, or maybe its like the football header table tennis games where u just need athleticism to run and head the ball in (a little bit of dexterity ofc in order for placement and all.)

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 21:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think it'd be perfect for Intramurals... :lol: All those frat kids being made to take part. For some reason, when I was in college, they broke the Intramurals into three divisions: Greeks (i.e. frats), Residence Halls (I forget what they called it, actually - but it was everyone who lived in dorms) and Independents (i.e. everyone else including grad students and people living off-campus). The Frat division would be HUGE - every frat took part in every sport because the Frats earned points of some sort for participation, and they'd FORCE people to play such sports as "Pong". In table tennis there'd be maybe a dozen quasi-serious players in the dorms, and then there'd be maybe a half dozen Independents. The Finals were a playoff between the three champions of the divisions. Usually the eventual winner was this grad student who was rated about 1800 - he'd win every year (and like a lot of grad students, was there a long time!). The Frat players were usually of the social kind, with weird thumb-jammed-up-against-the-blade grips. IF they played TTX instead of table tennis I doubt any of the serious players would take part and there might be a frat vs. residence halls finals.

I remember our department's grad students put a flag football team together one year - they were actually pretty good. In the finals, they beat up on the frat champs, and, as I was told, you heard things like "I can't believe we're getting beat by a bunch of old men" being said. And "What the f__k is a Fusilinid anyway?" (the Geology team was the Flying Fusilinids - which were little football-shaped fossils...).

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 24 Aug 2016, 21:32, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 21:30 
Super User

You'd be surprised man, there's always one competitive fella who wanna win everything haha, and therefore less serious stuffs tend to be serious like this one is.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 21:43 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Interesting: according to the interview, the ITTF is probably going to settle on ABS (like Nittaku's Premium 40+), a *46mm* diameter, and a weight of about 5g. That's really heavy. So it's yet another ball "standard" – no repurposing of the 44mm ball here.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 12:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, if it's meant to be played outdoors you do want a heavy ball. I initially thought they'd use a rubber ball, but that wouldn't SOUND right.

Incidentally, I have some (500! :lol: ) of Kingnik's ABS training balls. They LOOK nice, my impression was they were a little slow. I've been meaning to try them in the robot.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next