OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 00:28 

Hi All,

Can I please request your inputs for the below.

I play penhold with rpb (righthanded) and one of my opponents (righthanded) does a long pendulum serve. However his standing position is not from the usual left side (my right), but stands more to the middle of the table. So sometimes, he angles the pendulum serve not to break away from me on my left, but curving in slightly at my (right) elbow. Since I stand in a backhand stance, I find it difficult to forehand loop this quickly enough although I do that sometimes.

I can return such balls with an angled penhold push to get into a rally, but I want to rpb loop this ball, but most of the times the ball goes out of the table (missing the table towards my right). Can you help on where do I contact the ball, how do i modify my RPB angle to return this.

P.S:
To extend this question probably, due to the natural angle of the RPB (righthanded) and the ball trying to break to my right for regular pendulum serves, how should I contact the ball ,how do I modify the racket angle for RPB returns.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 00:48 

Personally as a penholder myself if my opponent is playing a pendulum serve curving into my body (right side) and I'm receiving in the backhand corner I wouldn't use my RPB for two reasons.

1) I would Be out of position thus making a none effective stroke essentially putting me on the backfoot IF I did return the ball back on their side.

2) The most effective place to return a serve is playing the ball from where the opponents bat starts (which in this case would be to the left side of the table their right) you will most definitely not be able to use a RPB with the angle unless you are receiving serve from your FH side.

So the really question is how can I return the serve effective to cancel out his advantage and put me in the driving seat of the point, well it all depends on what spin he/she is putting on the ball.

Personally I would either loop to the opponent FH corner or if serve is shorter use their spin and guide it over to prevent a third ball attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 11:10 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Play your RPB fast and flat directly at his bat handle

Or, if it's a slow serve, hook it out wide to his bh so he has to reach for it.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 23:37 

Thanks JamesPrice & Silver for your inputs.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 13:58 
Super User

I had this same situation in two matches in different tournaments. But it was worse because both opponents had backhand serves where the spin was heavy (I've not face a reverse pendulum like your speaking yet). I made the mistake repeatedly of trying to slice the ball back. (I didn't possess an rpb then). Needless to say I lost those. It was a nightmare. Is this the type of spin you were facing?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 07:58 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I wouldn't say that pushing it back was necessarily a bad move, especially if you can mix it up between heavy/light/float. Really just depends on the quality of ball you return to them/your other abilities, such as blocking.

For example, how was their backhand open? How did they play a fast push deep into their bh?