OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 08:15 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
Ok. I regularly play with two guys at work. Since they discovered how LPs work, I've had to work harder for wins(one guy I typically beat and the other, not so much). I don't mind, I like the challenge, I like trying to read the right spin to counter, typically side swipes or pushes against their pushes/backspin and chop blocks against their topspins.

I don't know if I've been misreading spin or something, but the last 6 months or so I've noticed at times my side swipes or pushes are going into the net. It's a little baffling. It's not all the time. But enough to concern me since I feel I'm losing easy points and making an easy mistake. I've tried to combat this by taking a step back and chopping back their backspin. It's okay, but I'm not much of a chopper.

The one guy has been trying to load up backspin against me, I'm guessing that is part of the problem. That to me means open the bat more? But occasionally when I do that my pushes get too high, become a slam for my opponent or fly off the table. That makes me think I'm reading the amount of spin wrong.

I don't often roll since my on opponent will see and he knows it's slight topspin and block it back fast with extreme angle and placement. That is pretty tough for me to handle.

I have been trying to twiddle, but I'm still getting a feel for inverted on the BH after not using it for a while.

Anyways. Any advice on how to read the amount of spin, or on any thing else I would love to hear it.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 08:48 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

I gather you are using LP and your opponents use dual inverted, and they are beginning to cope well with the disruptive effects from LP. Right?

Chopping with LP against strong backspin will often give a fairly dead ball, no spin at all. If the opponent reads this, it is an easy kill. I find that a good chop against strong backspin is nearly impossible with LP. (Perhaps I need more practice.)

When I get a really strong backspin to my pips, I see it as an attack opportunity. Smack it hard with an almost flat hit (only slightly open, and slightly upward movement). If you use pips without sponge, this will hardly change the spin at all, so a strong backspin becomes a strong topspin. The effort of a counterhit buys you a loop kill...

You can also push a little more aggressively to lift the ball over the net, instead of opening the bat angle more. This will still remove a bit of the spin, but hopefully you still have sufficient topspin to bring the ball down. Aggressive push means more speed, yielding something like a light counterhit. The opponent expects underspin from your stroke movement, so the return will often pop up for an easy kill.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 09:18 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
Okay so stop being delicate and just give a good wack. Essentially..... I typically like to hit hard but am more comfortable when it's chest height. But when it's low I'm less apt to really hit it hard. I'll give it a go. Thanks

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 12:19 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Yes since all you're thinking is improving, might as well go all out and risk it on certain shots, can't improve if all you're doing is taking is the safe shots