OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 01:59 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Another suggestion adopted from TTdaily...

OOAK and TTdaily both have the same functionality for thanking posters (over there it's "Liking" a post), however increasing the prominence of the thank you function might enhance the user experience here at OOAK.

At ttdaily, size wise the button and the names of those who clicked it are larger. You can also see poster stats as to how many likes they have recieved.

It gives users instant feedback on how and what they posted. It gives users stats as to the quality of their posts. I can think of NextLevel and Leatherback as 2 people off the top of my head that would have very nice statistics in this regard.

Can we do this here at OOAK?

Honestly, I never noticed the thank you button here at OOAK until I became a member over there, saw the "Like Button", and then specifically looked for something similar here.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Last edited by Japsican on 30 Sep 2016, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 02:14 

Here is how they have it at the other site, circled in RED.

From top to bottom:

- Liked Statistics in the lefthand sidebar
- Like button
- List of those who liked the post and relative date when they clicked the button

Attachments:
Thank You2.JPG
Thank You2.JPG [ 56.21 KiB | Viewed 6751 times ]

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 08:38 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
A good suggestion, thanks Japsican :up: :up: :up: I'll see if there's an easy way to implement this.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 18:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Ok, I've made a few minor changes so far, ones that were easy to make. :oops:

You can now see (in your profile next to a post) how many times a member has been thanked for post, as well as how many times they're thanked other people. I can also put in the day/time when you receive a thanks (underneath the post), but I don't think that's very important, and will produce more clutter rather than useful information.
Please be completely honest and tell me if it looks better or if it can be improved. ;)

I'll work on making the graphics of the 'thank button' easier to see.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 20:02 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Good suggestion and thanks for implimenting it.

Also interesting when you compare "been thanked" with "has thanked" with the number of posts.

For example, haggisv,
- you receive on average 1 thank you for every 45.38 posts and
- you are 1.73 times more likely to thank someone than be thanked

What this tells me is that the quality of your posts is sadly lacking but you're very grateful to everyone else for contributing wonderfully to this forum. That's grounds for being banned you troll! :swear: :lol:

On the other hand you could always factor in that many of your posts were made before the "thanks" option was introduced on to the fourm, but why let the truth get in the way of a good ribbing! :devil:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 20:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Debater wrote:
For example, haggisv,
- you receive on average 1 thank you for every 45.38 posts and
- you are 1.73 times more likely to thank someone than be thanked

What this tells me is that the quality of your posts is sadly lacking but you're very grateful to everyone else for contributing wonderfully to this forum. That's grounds for being banned you troll! :swear: :lol:

On the other hand you could always factor in that many of your posts were made before the "thanks" option was introduced on to the fourm, but why let the truth get in the way of a good ribbing! :devil:

GRRRR :swear: :swear: :swear: :punch: :punch: :punch: :swear: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 20:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

OK, I've updated the old Image with the new Image. You might have to refresh your browser to see the new one.

Does it look better, worse, 'way over the top' ???

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 22:47 

Quote:
Please be completely honest and tell me if it looks better or if it can be improved. ;)

First of all, WOW, thanks for the quick action Haggisv! :)

Also, the fact that you only have 679 thank yous really shows how much visibility the thank you function truely lacked. Comparatively, at TTdaily, I've only been posting for a short time (this year) and I have about the same amount of thank yous there as here. hahaha.

Regarding the changes, I have some feedback:

Thumbs up icon:
I like the more visible thumbs up, might be a little too large, but I like it better still. It also has a different colored background (You can see a slightly tinted blue square around the image in posts that are lighter). I think slightly decreasing the icon by say 25% would make it just right. Can you find an icon with a transparent background? OR, a retangular/square thank you button eliminates the problem all together...maybe something like this but a bit bigger and a (maybe) a brighter color: Image

Thank you stats:
The stats on the side are different than the other site. There they show how many thank yous you've had in a certain amount of posts. Alhtough, I'm not sure why the number differs than TOTAL posts...

I think the number for the amount of times one has thanked other people is probably not necessary...but I don't mind it.

The area where it displays the users who thanked a specific post:
Below the thank you button, where it says "These users thanked the author haggisv for the post." I think the font for the people who have thanked a specific post should be slightly increased. This adds visibility to who thanked that specific post....

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 23:12 

Another thing, I wonder if you can start the thank you data over...meaning have everyone start at zero. That would make the stats more useful because we'll know when go-live was.

I just had an epiphany:
Maybe that's why they have "thank yous in X amount of posts" on TTDaily, and why that number does not equal total posts! Because their go-live was well after the site was established, and so they wanted to see the amount of thanks peolpe got per post/post-go-live! Aha! :up:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 23:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks Japsican, good suggestions, I'll do some tweaking. ;)
Japsican wrote:
Another thing, I wonder if you can start the thank you data over...meaning have everyone start at zero. That would make the stats more useful because we'll know when go-live was.

Although it would indeed make the stats more useful, I don't like the idea of removing the thanks that members have received in the past. Some may have made great contribution in the past, so those stats are just one way to show that, which I think is important.

You're right, the picture bacground should be made transparent...I'll get onto that eventually... the current picture is a .gif which does not support transparent background, and I'd have to find the reference in the code to fix that one, which will take a little longer. :oops: :lol:

Yes you're right, the Thanks module was implemented a LONG time after the forum started, which is another reason the numbers are low.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 23:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:
OK, I've updated the old Image with the new Image. You might have to refresh your browser to see the new one.

Does it look better, worse, 'way over the top' ???

It stands out for sure. Makes me think of "Over the top" movie though, where Sylvester Stallone raises his thumb up high and wins the arm wrestles by going "Over the top", so I guess its over the top, but not way :P :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 23:46 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
To me (and in fact the introduction explanation by haggisv IIRC), the thanks option was always about saying thanks to someone for a post when the reader didn't feel like they necessarily wanted to write a thank you post or respond with a post. I think as a statistic its a dangerous thing to read anything much into it. Whether users get thanked for posts is very subjective and dependant upon other user moods at the time of reading posts. So to make too big a think of it as a stat, is to potentially hurt the feelings of some posters and de-motivate them from posting if they feel they've deserved thanks that they haven't gotten. I don't mind enhancing the visibility of the actual function, but I think doing anything statistical with it is asking for trouble. It's a nice notion that members thank a member for their contribution, anything further to that is counter-productive to the forum's health IMO.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 23:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've reduced it in size a little, from Image to Image and changed the Thank to Thanks. Not perfect, but better,
Although I do like the idea of the button, it does not fit in with the current colour scheme (could be changed I know), and also the 'thumbs up' has become so faliliar with Facebook users that people are probably more likely to recognise it.

Still more than happy to consider other options. :up:

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016, 00:50 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
To me (and in fact the introduction explanation by haggisv IIRC), the thanks option was always about saying thanks to someone for a post when the reader didn't feel like they necessarily wanted to write a thank you post or respond with a post. I think as a statistic its a dangerous thing to read anything much into it. Whether users get thanked for posts is very subjective and dependant upon other user moods at the time of reading posts. So to make too big a think of it as a stat, is to potentially hurt the feelings of some posters and de-motivate them from posting if they feel they've deserved thanks that they haven't gotten. I don't mind enhancing the visibility of the actual function, but I think doing anything statistical with it is asking for trouble. It's a nice notion that members thank a member for their contribution, anything further to that is counter-productive to the forum's health IMO.

I hear you, but that is not the result at TTDaily. It encourages activity and is a way to acknowledge folks for a good post. It seems positive. The other part is that, users really shouldn't read too much in to any of it, especially given that the go-live is now and not at the beginning of the sites inception. I still think the "has thanked" isn't valuable really.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016, 00:53 

haggisv wrote:
I've reduced it in size a little, from Image to Image and changed the Thank to Thanks. Not perfect, but better,
Although I do like the idea of the button, it does not fit in with the current colour scheme (could be changed I know), and also the 'thumbs up' has become so faliliar with Facebook users that people are probably more likely to recognise it.

Still more than happy to consider other options. :up:

Awesome!

I agree, I looked for a button with the thumbs up in it. Also, we could build one. :) Maybe I'll do that this weekend and share...we'll see. What color would fit in? The site displays a light blue for me, and a darker blue is within that spectrum.