OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 04:01 
Super User

From eight months ago:
Zhaoyang wrote:
I am so happy with my ... front-side rubber...
Still am.
Zhaoyang wrote:
I am now terrified to change...
For fear of reawakening the ej beast, you know.
Zhaoyang wrote:
That leaves the back-side rubber which ... I haven't been using anyway. It should be pips-out, OX...
I've been using it heavily. Same lp ox I used before.
Zhaoyang wrote:
As long as they're comfortable under my fingers on the back...
No longer a problem.
Zhaoyang wrote:
I'll miss Zhou Xintong.
Not any more since my long pips are in play now. Since my other side is inverted, Lay Jian Fang is a model too, but I would have to improve my twiddle.

But as you might have suspected from the above, I confess that I've changed my blade. Last year, when I wasn't using the back side, I chose a great blade for the inverted side, a very famous one with walnut outer. But now, it's inconveniently fast for lp ox, as almost everyone would agree. My choices were:

a) still hard surfaced but thin, like Zhou Xintong's earlier Runlox (judging from the name on the handle and the sound)
b) soft surfaced, like Zhou Xintong's later Bizelox, a limba-ayous at about 5.8mm (out of production but I have one)

For some days I ran through my memories and my notes on all the blades I've tried, and I know that the former would be harder to handle. So, although it will sound and feel so different, I chose the Bizelox. Yes, it's a lot easier to use. Yes, it feels like a thin Clipper, which I always loved too, and the inverted side still works great.

So, wish me another eight months of hard practice. :-)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 09:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good luck Zhaoyang! :up: :lol:

What's a Bizelox?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 10:09 
Super User

Nittaku Bizelox, limba-ayous-ayous-ayous-limba, 5.8mm thick. It's out of production.
Google Images "nittaku bizelox" for pictures:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... TaJ7dFi71c

A thin Allround Evolution or a thick BT550 should serve as a substitute.
There's a shortage of *plain* limba-ayous 5-ply cpens between 5.6 and 6.0. Can you think of another?
An Allround NCT is probably harder but probably not bad.
An OSP Virtuoso+ (limba-limba-ayous) would probably be nice. I guess OSP or the other builders could make anything for a price, right?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 15:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nittaku have such bizarre names! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No I can't think of any others...I don't tend to pay as much attention to the woods used, more at the performance. :oops:

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 00:15 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Ha, thanks to that spam-account this thread came floating above for a while...
Although I grew up with J.O.Waldner and M.Appelgren beeing the heroes which of course had its influence in my playing style, I now enjoy watching Qiu Yike, Tan Ruiwu, Johnny Huang, Zhang Jike and
Jun Mitsutani. The latter seems to have a similar 'golden hand' as Waldner but is very different to the other 4 in style. I won't and I can't compare myself to anyone of them. Maybe a mixture of Tan/Johnny? I don't know.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 10:53 
Super User

To Red: Yes, I admire some of those too. Among shakehand inverted players I also like Samsonov for his soft hands. :-) I like players who don't force the point, who don't play low-percentage "hit or miss".

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 16:19 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Samsonov and also Schlager are 2 technically superb players I also enjoy playing. They're very good as idols to show up how table-tennis basically should look like, imho, with one having more tricks and stuns and the other the more magic hand.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 04:48 
Super User

I blew a lot of money on modern rubbers.
I'm back to Skyline non-NEO 39d, unboosted, WBG, on one side.
I gained a lot of perspective and I would now call this a "control rubber" in the extreme, but with an unlimited reserve.

And today, my 388D-1 OX on the other side will be replaced by 388D-1 .5 (whether I like it initially or not), because I now believe that's what my model uses. Conveniently, I will save more than enough weight with the S2 to make room for this sponge.

The blade is somewhere between HHao (koto-spruce 5.65), BT555 (limba-spruce 5.75), and YEO (walnut-spruce 5.85). That is a narrow range so it doesn't matter much. I'll let the long pip's behavior decide.

Now, I will try to pull myself away from the distraction of reading and writing so many opinions, as I have already made enough observations and I took notes the whole time; the plain text file of my notes since April 2015 is 97kB. :-)

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 07:38 
Super User

Alright ladies and gentlemen, it's finally over.
Sick of thin blades. Can't stand it anymore.
Fortunately, the choice of which rigid blade was easy:

Red: 388D-1 Quattro .5, see Zhou Xintong
Black: H3, see Gao Shaolin
Blade: Taksim (fake or clone), see Wang Qiu Yi

This is the end and I mean it this time.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 12:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Zhaoyang wrote:
Sick of thin blades. Can't stand it anymore.

Hee hee hee...

viewtopic.php?f=43&p=329508#p329508

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 12:31 
Super User

Wow, that's a beauty!

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 02:01 
Super User

I was on good behavior for almost a year, then I lent my Taksim to someone to use against me (because it had long pips already mounted that were suitable for that person) and I pulled a Clipper out of storage and used that. Unfortunately - in the context of this thread, with regard to settling one's equipment choices - I played better with it almost instantaneously; "everything landed" because it was so much slower, and I instantly wanted to change.

I had one unused sheet of my beloved Skyline 2 non-NEO and agonized over where to install it. I chose MLEO and it was/is working very, very well. Then, seeing how well a slower setup was working I thought I'd try something even thinner/slower, a Hurricane Hao, also from storage. This, thank heavens, turned out to be a disaster for me (not the fault of the blade, just "a bridge too far" from the Taksim) and I went back to the MLEO.

And so, at least my post from almost a year ago - "Sick of thin blades. Can't stand it anymore." - did hold up.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 07:56 
Super User

"And so, at least my post from almost a year ago - "Sick of thin blades. Can't stand it anymore." - did hold up."

No it didn't.
Inspired by the thread about (bare) blade tone, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=31831 , and figuring that if two setups had the same rubbers I could determine something about the blades from the tone of the assembly, I went back and again measured the tone of my favorite player's setup, and decided that there's no way it was really what the handle said.

So, I dug out an old blade that I figured would match that tone, installed similar rubbers, and yes, it did match closely enough. I then played a session with that and played very well with it, including offense with lp ox.

The desired tone was 740-776Hz. The tone of this setup is 775Hz. The thickness of this (well-known) blade? 5.0mm.
:o :rofl: :rock: