OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 15:48 

Cobalt wrote:
Had my first hit last night with the N11 and 868 albiet on the robot. Hadn't had a hit for 3 weeks and it showed a bit. Forehand was very scratchy and I struggled with the light to medium backspin I'd set up. Backhand however was quite good and if you had seen it you would have though my backhand was my better side, plenty of spin and loop, I was very impressed. :oops: :oops:

The forehand just seemed to lack a little something but maybe that something is just a slight adjustment. Despite being the same rubber, couldn't quite get the same results.

Tonight we resume training where I will get to play a few practice games then comp is on Wednesday. Turns out that due to the level of my selected partner this season, we are in Div 2. What this means is that I should go through the season without being challenged except for one person who beat me last season but I rank 100 pts higher and have won our previous four encounters. The rest of the players are around 250pts below me. Due to that I'm not sure it will really give me a good indication of the results of the experiment but during the season I'll play enough of the regular Div 1 players to know how my results, even in practice, compare. Either way, should be fun.

I think being one of the 'top' dogs in your division is a great opportunity.
It gives you a chance to dominate.
Work on your 3rd and 5th ball set ups.
Get some crazy thick neuro plasticity going on these combinations.
When you're up 2-0 in a best of 5, then work on a new tactic. Even if causes you to lose that game.
Then switch back to your winning tactics.
This will help build mental toughness as well.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 21:11 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Played some practice matches against the usual div 1 guys I play. Results very similar but just didn't feel right. The set up would be good for more of a flat hitter and it blocked welll but I found the slow spinny loops much harder with less margin for error. Backhand was OK again but forehand lacked the usual spin or at least it took a lot more effort. When I hit it just right it was good but had to be spot on. Flatter loops/drives were good as was serving with the tacky rubber. Could anyone use this at a high level, I'm not sure, it does lack some oomph from the rubber so would depend on style however for a club player up to say 1,500 US, it would be fine.

On a side note, one of the guys I played who is a bit of a blocker / flat counter attacker who uses an OFF+ with Hexer, laughed when he first tried it and asked if I was serious. After about a minute he had already adjusted and played quite well.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 22:21 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
iskandar taib wrote:
You can't get a M6 for $7... :lol:

Iskandar

I did for less... 8-)

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 00:04 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Quote:
On a side note, one of the guys I played who is a bit of a blocker / flat counter attacker who uses an OFF+ with Hexer, laughed when he first tried it and asked if I was serious. After about a minute he had already adjusted and played quite well.

Is this the CJ8000 or the 868 here?
If it's the 868 42° it probably needs a bucketload of boost.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 07:15 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

The 868, need to change my Sig. Yep, says on the pack 40-43.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 21:45 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

So as not to tie up this thread with my adventures, I'll be detailing my season with a basic set up in my blog.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29108

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 09:10 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
I've had about 6 weeks, or more than half a Wednesday season, on my M8/Target National/Aurus Soft combo. Still reasonably satisfied with it. Good touch on service and topspins with the Target, although I haven't adapted enough to stop netting rather too many smashes – it's more me needing to improve my technique anyway.

Earlier this week I set up another M8, this time with Hurricane 3 Neo (nominally a Chinese 39° – which is still hard, feels like easily over German 50°) and Mark V 1.8 on the BH. The Mark V seems decent, but I'm not a big fan of the H3N so far. The throw on loops is noticeably flatter than with Target National, and the hard sponge seems to give it less dwell time/feel.

I'll give the new setup a few hours this weekend. I suspect I'll end up settling on Target National FH/Mark V BH.

Edit: the Target National's tack has worn off. Still grippy.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 14:35 
Super User

OK, I really didn't take to the H3N at all, and switched back to the STN bat after about 45 minutes! I know it's mostly a matter of getting used to it, yet I just kept overshooting with my FH loops and couldn't stop thinking how nice it would be to have the STN's fat topspin arc back again.

I didn't find the Mark V to be too much of a departure from Aurus Soft – it feels harder although it retains some suppleness and isn't as brick-like as the H3N; haven't quite figured out how to reliably replicate lifting backspin on BH with the Mark V yet – but the H3N was a lot different from what I like.

Another edit: I'd already given the H3N/Mark V combo an hour or so of robot time before group coaching today. Mostly topspinning against backspin, and some service practice.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 13:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am the opposite, sort of. Played with T05 for most of the last 8 years. For last couple of months have used MX-P. Today I switched back to T05. It gives me better margin for error.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2016, 11:38 
Super User

I've played a few hours with Mark V 1.8mm on the backhand now, after almost a year with Aurus Soft 1.9mm.

It's noticeably less springy. I have to make a more active stroke to get the ball over the net. It's a little off-putting at times to not have the rubber doing as much work for me, but I do want to do this for a few months, for stroke development and more control.

Blocking is easier with Mark V than with Aurus Soft – obviously, opponents differ in how much kick they can put on their loops, but against some people, I feel I could just block reliably all day with Mark V.

Unsure about how much different service spin generation is – I like to throw in some backhand swipe serves with heavy sidespin, and my vague feeling is that it takes a little more elbow grease with the Mark V.

When I come off Mark V next year, I'll probably go back to Aurus Soft, or maybe back to Victas V-15 Limber, whose soft, slow feel I didn't like before; but which might be a good compromise between the control of Mark V and the relatively greater catapult of Aurus Soft. Skyline 3-60 Soft is a more aggressive option.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 20:51 
Super User

Almost 7 weeks since the last post, I'm still rockin' the 1.8mm Mark V on the backhand. I keep thinking to myself it's not very exciting and wonder what I'm going to replace it with, yet I keep making the full gamut (well, my limited gamut) of shots with it, from terrible bunting to ridiculously loaded flicks, and I'm really hard-pressed to blame any of the bad ones on the rubber being too fast or unpredictable.

And I'm still very happy with the Sanwei Target National on FH. And with the Sanwei M8. Boring, eh?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017, 23:35 
Super User

Now I've played the equivalent of about one and a half seasons with the STN/M8 setup, with the Mark V on BH for about a season. Lately I've been struggling. I feel my BH has no bite and is too slow too often. On hot, humid days, maybe through no fault of the rubbers, I can't seem to get consistent attacks going.

After having more trouble than expected tonight against opponents I'd normally expect to beat easily, I brought out my long-unused (I mean, it's been months!) WSC with FH T05 and BH Aurus Soft for doubles.

Holy cow! Suddenly my FH attacks (loops and smashes) increased in confidence and reliability, and my BH had that cracking lightning-from-the-fingertips feel again, with real speed and greater accuracy from counter hits and topspins.

Now I'm wondering if I should completely revert to that setup.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 08:32 
Super User

Huh, I'm going to save you the time and trouble, and just come right out and say I'm a low-rated dilettante.

After that refreshing hit with the Tenergy/WSC/tensor bat, I took it to pennant on Wednesday and promptly lost 2-4 to a chopper, with lots of long hitting from me. D'oh!

As I was playing a junior next, and like most well-trained intermediate juniors, this one likes a fast, attacking game, I brought out the trusty STN/M8/Mark V rig again to slow things down, and won 4-1.

It may have helped that it wasn't as hot and humid as on my two previous playing days. I don't know. Perhaps I just need to fire the metaphorical magic bullet now and then, to remind myself that it doesn't exist.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 12:14 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Not surprising you were going long, maybe a little adjustment period needed?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 21:05 
Super User

Cobalt wrote:
Not surprising you were going long, maybe a little adjustment period needed?

That's true, it's just that I felt I had done well on my previous playing day in doubles without an adjustment period – but in hindsight, I play both a smaller range of shots, and fewer shots overall, in doubles, so it would have been better to spend more time adapting.

Anyway, odd as it seems, I felt my brief stint back with the faster setup increased or renewed my appreciation for the slower one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next