OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 04:06 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Balls hit right at body are tough and pgpg is big time improved in handling them with his lp.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 05:07 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Serve return is ok for 2000 level but not good enough for 2200+. Ball "hang/float" too much.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 06:18 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Bogeyhunter wrote:
Serve return is ok for 2000 level but not good enough for 2200+. Ball "hang/float" too much.

I'll take it as a compliment for now since I am 1700+ :P . Probably need to compare returns in your videos, Bogeyhunter, to make sure I understand the difference better.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 13:12 

You could look no further than Jay Lee how he handles serves.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 23:34 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte wrote:
You could look no further than Jay Lee how he handles serves.

Perhaps - at least for placement and spin manipulation. He's a penholder who likes to hit with LP, though, so it's going to be different.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 12:44 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Scrappy league night: finished 1:3 and got mentally angrier as night progressed :headbang:

First played AF, who gave me a thorough drubbing last week. This time it looked quite closer, with first 3 games all ending in deuce. It broke open in the last (not in my favor), so 1:3.

TI was next - he adapted to pips quite well recently, so was a bit of a battle. Won first game 18:16, after being down 3:7. Was more aggressive in general on FH. Lost next one, though, after falling early into the deep hole. Buckled up and won next two comfortably.

DS (SP/LP player) was itching for a retribution for last week's loss - no idea what he changed (besides new SP), but he totally demolished me, I think I got 4 points at most per game. He no longer was vulnerable to no spin serves (may be I did not pay enough attention where his LP side was) and was in a more attacking mood as well, successfully pressuring my BH. I did not do too well on FH against his almost dead balls.

Finally, played DN - a month ago he was rocking double inverted setup and I won in a pretty close match. Today he showed up with LP on both sides (FL2) and proceeded to hit pretty well on his FH - very annoying balls. Lost a very close one in 4 - and was not too happy about it.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 14:17 

Jay Lee has touch on serve receive no one credits him for... it sets up lots of chances for him. His touch is so good he could play touch only shots vs the 2000 crowd and hit only when obvious.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 11:44 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Played unsanctioned team tournament today - there were 8 teams in division B and we placed 4th in the end, losing in SF and then in 3rd place game too. Missed out on a medal :headbang:

I was paying as either A or B player and did pretty well overall, winning 2 close games in 5 (one truly mattered as it allowed us to advance out of RR and another one was a really tough win against a clubmate with comeback from a large deficit in the last game).

Was much more aggressive on FH this time ( and did not get to chop as much as well :) ).

Rest of the year shapes out to be quite TT-heavy: local club is having yet another tournament next week (which they don't really advertise...), then off to Westchester for November Open and in December it's US Open - never went before, so should be interesting.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 11:39 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Tuesday league started well for a change and then all went to hell in a basket.

Played my 'nemesis' N first and scratched out a tough win in 5 - mostly due to making fewer mistakes and sending more spin his way, slow and not so slow - quite a few of his blocks went long.

Next up was SK - I actually played him on Sunday as well at the team tournament. Both times he was pretty 'cold' and after falling behind he got too frustrated and went to lose in 3 straight sets.

Played 'DT the retriever' next - always long rallies, him bringing most balls back so that they look attackable but frequently are tricky. I was quite consistent, though - and pretty aggressive on FH. I think I won 3:1.

Somehow got matched up with R next (for the first time ever), who is ~350 points above me - he's mostly a blocker, but loops well too. He played me seriously, though, not because he was awed by my skill, but I suspect that's his general approach. I think I scored 5 points at most.

Finally, got a match again with DN - I think he's my next designated 'nemesis' (I beat the original one 3 times in a row now, so perhaps he no longer qualifies). Last time he played me with LP/LP setup, this time it was LP/Inv - but I lost just the same, being unable to handle aggressive LP hits.

So, that was pretty frustrating way to end the night, but then I checked election returns, and, well, long story short - Trump is the next president. That one will take quite a while to get over... :@ :headbang: :x :n: :sweat: :swear:

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 11:03 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Too much work lately - and though I still played quite a bit, desire to post really went down.

So - quick update:

November Westchester Open. Not too bad, won U1750, but did not achieve much else. Played reasonably well, took games off pretty much everyone above me, but did not pull any upsets (lost all close matches that went to 5). Did not have bad losses.

Attachment:
W112016_U1750.jpg
W112016_U1750.jpg [ 77.19 KiB | Viewed 1647 times ]

Tuesday league is chugging along - again, no bad losses lately, few upsets and very close games against folks who were recently out of reach.

Played a small local tournament today: U2000, U2300 and Open (because why not). Lost to two 1800+ players from my club (they know my game too well), but pulled two upsets against other 1800+ dudes, so quite happy. Almost stole a match from 2150 player - she had lots of troubles with looping high chops and LP pushes, but eventually adjusted. For the first time ever played V, ~2250 guy from our club and did OK, losing at 10,4 and 9 (almost got at least 1 game 8) ). Overall pretty happy, got quite a few chops in and in general held my own.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 17:30 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

US Open Diary: Day 0.

Planned to show up on Sunday afternoon and make it to the venue to practice a bit. Airline had other ideas, rerouting me through another hub (weather issues) and so I got to Las Vegas almost 6+ hours later than originally intended. Only had energy to check into hotel, find where monorail is that gets me to the venue and see where good places to eat/drink are.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 17:57 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

US Open diary: Day 1

First day event: tiered Super round robin U2000. You play your RR group of 5 first and your placement determines which division you end up with (A to E).

I was told many things about adjusting to higher altitude TT(~2000 ft above sea level). Did not really notice it yet, or it was masked by different hall, lights, floor, tables etc.

I was a C player in my RR group and finished as one: beat relatively easy players below me and lost in 5 to A and B players. A bummer.

Ended up in C division, which meant another RR group where I finished second (and advanced). I was a B player, but managed to lose to E player (Canadian dude with way outdated rating - was up 2:0 but blew it - or, to be more precise, he played smarter). Did beat A player 3:0 (troubled by pips).

In 1/8th got matched with rising junior (again, not a lot of pips/chopper exposure) and did beat him 3:0 in a close match. QF was at 8 pm local time (almost 11 pm on my internal clock) - got a 1870 hardbat player. Fortunately for me, I played a decent ~2100 hardbat player in our club few times, so had some experience. Match was weird - first game I lost pretty close, then I won 11:2, then lost 3:11, then it was a grinder at 11:8 or so, and finally I closed it out in 5th (11:7?). Which means that I am in the semis for tomorrow - nice!

Few random thoughts and observations:
* So far everyone was pretty nice. Nobody defaulted because they were preserving their precious rating, no one complained about pips etc.
* Played a few folks from California - did not think their ratings were out of whack - I'd say Canadians are more of an outlier here, for obvious reason.
* Tournament is run pretty efficiently so far, that is on time etc. I guess having 120+ tables helps.
* Saw quite a few high level players (even a couple of choppers) - very fun to watch their practice.
* SE rounds in my events were played on proper floor - RR groups were on concrete :(, but my knees are holding up pretty well so far, knock on wood).

Tomorrow, is Mens Open - yes, I know, I probably don't belong, but what else I'm supposed to do on Tuesday? My dance card looks like 2550, 2200, and 2000. I think I might have a chance against the ~2000 guy, but it's mostly for fun. SF for U2000 Giant RR is in the evening though, so if I win, there will be a trophy! Need to double check schedule - I might have something else in the afternoon too.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 15:58 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

US Open Diary: Day 2

OK, one of these days... went 0:7 and won only 1 game :( . Not surprising, really, since events included Open and U2250.

In the Open RR I put up a decent fight but did not get a game off anyone. Did get to deuce with A and C players, I believe. Just tough.

U2250 was similar: struggled, especially on FH, and missed quite a few BH chops too (what's up with missing perfectly playable ball mostly hitting the finger?).

Played SF in U2000 Division C to close the day and lost that one to a junior (eventual winner) as well 0:3. Just not my day. But - turns out that semifinalists at the US Open get trophies too. So, result - award certificate and a medal to take home!

Few other things:

* Saw a really cool chopper from Japan: Kentaro Miuchi. Really smooth, very entertaining to watch.
* Couple of other choppers I saw live for the first time: Hou Yingchao and Earl Alto. Especially with Hou - everything looks so simple, but it's not...
* Somehow Hou's opponent (Kaiki Matsushita) misjudged his chops 80% of the time - either netting them or sending them long - I could not see the difference, may be more of a side spin here and there?
* Saw quite a few of first chops (especially from K. Miuchi) being not that low (but still deep) - almost like enticing attack on the ball which is likely quite loaded.
* Saw Kenji Matsudaira training with someone I could not identify - damn...

Tomorrow is mostly watching till 3 pm - women singles are starting, plus later stages for men. Then U1950 in the afternoon, adults only ;) .

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 14:05 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

US Open Diary Day 3

U1950 was in the afternoon (3:45 pm), so had plenty of time to watch main event. Was mostly following choppers - Hou Yingchao easily beat Thomas Keinath, Jian Li won a tight match only to run into Wei Wang in the next bracket (don't know how it ended though Edit: Wei Wang prevailed) - so a waste of a chopper either way. Kentaro Miuchi had a great match against Takuya Jin (are they teammates? same sponsor logos...) but lost in 5, I think. Awesome rallies, however.

Satoshi Aida had an easy 4:0 win against the A player from my Open RR group - he definitely took it easy on me :), but ended up losing in the next round to Hou Yingchao - another matchup I'd rather not have. Very interesting style - chopper who does not need to twiddle and is not afraid to attack from both wings.

U1950 Adult RR - I was a B player and had pretty easy wins against C and D, but lost close one to A 1:3. Should've adjusted earlier to his serves - taking them off the bounce helped a lot, but I was trying to chop them instead with limited success.

Watched a bit of Women Singles - apparently Sun Chen, winner of 2015 Pyongyang Open was a B player in a RR group with estimated rating of 2400, which was quite a joke, as she easily dispatched 2500+ A player in straight sets. I think I saw a glimpse of Cheng, I-Ching too.

Tomorrow it's O30, which is SE, so most likely one match for me and U2100 RR, where I'm a C player, but you never know who D might be :).

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 03:22 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I haven't been to the US Open, but when I went to the Nationals, I only registered for events where I was likely to be the A or B player. C or below is just a waste of time, to be honest. Right now, for example, the highest event I would enter would be the 2250, only because I am competitive against certain kinds of 2250 players.

Sounds like you are having fun - did you go with your wife?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 70  Next