OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kim's Obsessions!
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2016, 21:21 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLvXTI2T ... e=youtu.be

A bit weird haha in my mind i squatted low enough, but i guess thats why we videod our plays.

Criticism anyone?

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2016, 00:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Overall that's not looking too bad Kim. You need to do more of this drill to get the consistency in the stroke, and the minor adjustments correct in your wrist and arm to meet the ball with the correct stroke every time. A few I think you were bringing the bat back to a slightly high starting position, but this seemed to improve the more strokes you made. You might be ever so slightly too upright and too front on, but its not terrible. You need to multiball like this a lot to groove your swing and try mixing in some rallying with someone to build in adjustments needed to cope with real hitting (cos multiball gives you too close to the perfect ball every time, which is needed for swing basic improvement - but won't take you to the next step).

Looks like you're on the right path to me. But it will just take time and effort to hone the skill.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2016, 07:14 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Overall that's not looking too bad Kim. You need to do more of this drill to get the consistency in the stroke, and the minor adjustments correct in your wrist and arm to meet the ball with the correct stroke every time. A few I think you were bringing the bat back to a slightly high starting position, but this seemed to improve the more strokes you made. You might be ever so slightly too upright and too front on, but its not terrible. You need to multiball like this a lot to groove your swing and try mixing in some rallying with someone to build in adjustments needed to cope with real hitting (cos multiball gives you too close to the perfect ball every time, which is needed for swing basic improvement - but won't take you to the next step).

Looks like you're on the right path to me. But it will just take time and effort to hone the skill.

Thanks for the input!
will try do the recording of the rellying against real player soon.

thanks again!!! realy preciate it

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2016, 04:05 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
so, in short...

too upright and too in-front when playing the ball...

you are spinning the ball ONLY with your hand, your body is not working at all...

bend the knees...exaggerate the bend in a way that the top point of the net is in level with your eyes...put the left foot in front in a cca 45" angle, right in back at 90" angle from the end of the table, turn the body almost to the right wall...weight before contact is on the back foot...when hitting the ball, rotate your whole body, hips, shoulders, straighten the knees, end the motion with the weight on the left foot...lead the body turning with your left arm...

all that being said, you can already see improvement from last time...try to incorporate all this i wrote for the next time, looking forward to see the result :up:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2016, 21:41 
Super User

111Iceman111 wrote:
so, in short...

too upright and too in-front when playing the ball...

you are spinning the ball ONLY with your hand, your body is not working at all...

bend the knees...exaggerate the bend in a way that the top point of the net is in level with your eyes...put the left foot in front in a cca 45" angle, right in back at 90" angle from the end of the table, turn the body almost to the right wall...weight before contact is on the back foot...when hitting the ball, rotate your whole body, hips, shoulders, straighten the knees, end the motion with the weight on the left foot...lead the body turning with your left arm...

all that being said, you can already see improvement from last time...try to incorporate all this i wrote for the next time, looking forward to see the result :up:

well bending so that the net meet my eyes. ( *gulps* )
will try and do it, and the foot placement will try focus on the angles
by the end of the swing what would your foot placement look like though?

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2016, 23:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I thought it might be a little hard to swing from the core at this point (which is what Iceman is saying, completely correctly). I think that takes coordinating movement into the ball to another level. If you can do it and maintain a consistent contact on the ball great. If not, just focus on that hand-eye coordination build-up the way you are now for a while. Swinging from the core will use your body to unwind like a spring into the ball, providing easier power and spin. Footwork needs to adjust around to find just the right spot to aid the swing through each and every ball, with slight foot adjustments on each shot. When the feet are in just the right position the right shot is easy to play and land on the table. When they're not quite right, other things have to compensate and adjust, making the stroke harder, less powerful, and ultimately more likely to miss the table.

Great footwork is not easy to achieve, and so improvising on shots is also a good skill to develop. Of course getting the feet just right will always be the best option, but you don't want to be unable to play any kind of shot to keep you in a point if you mess up the footwork. So its worth also being able to play shots from out of position...and its worth being able to recognise when you're in position and able to go full throttle, and when you're not...and needing to back off and adjust your shot to accommodate the less than perfect set-up.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 03:15 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
The technique is going to hurt your recovery. TRy to finish with a salute at 90 degrees on the same (right side of your body) unless you are trying to kill the ball, in which case you should have the salute but your whole body can rotate more to give power.

See the video here. You will see that your elbow is too close to your body especially on the forward swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMn3JdmesA

I have a long thread where I rebuilt my forehand - it started out something like yours. I was fairly advanced when I did it too.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 08:21 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

111Iceman111 wrote:
dont worry,

i had a similar fh 15 years ago...

because of my operation (if u are interested details are in my blog) i had to practice a lot hitting it with more power...in the beginning everything went all over the place but after a while brain instinctively knew what to adjust for a ball to go on the table...
hit it as hard as you can, loosen the arm...if your equipment is too fast change it for slower...you need to have the blade rubber combo with which you can hit as hardest as you can do and land it on the table...if the equipment is too fast than you are afraid to hit it hard and than you are stiffening the moves...in the beginning everything will be maybe too slow so you will need to work harder...and improve your stroke...i am playing with all+ blade and unboosted H3 and opponents rarely return my spins...

This is a point I try to make to my students - you don't control the ball consciously. You do the stroke properly and let the brain adjust over time. It is actually best to miss the ball with the proper stroke. Trying to put the ball on the table in practice all the time will lead to a stroke that will never get better.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 08:40 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

kim,

I came late to the party but your previous video was better than this one, IMO. Your first video mostly needed minor modifications to how you used the arm and improve the timing with your body. This video has you whipping with your arm but out of sync with your body. I think that the speed at which you hit the ball in the first video was better for learning as to improve the power, you had to improve the snap of your elbow and turn your core more, which will happen with time. In this new video, the arm is doing too much work to hit the ball hard as you haven't learned to time the body rotation with it.

Try to go back to the first video. You had some really good strokes in there. The main thing that was missing was that you needed to snap your elbow more aggressively and rotate faster (Bring your looping shoulder) into the ball. Don't use the upper arm too much as that brings instability in the beginning.

When you take fast looping swings, the key is to brush the ball with a fast racket head speed that makes the ball spin. Good errors will have the ball spinning into the net or off the table. To fix this, the most important thing to change is the contact point. If the ball is going long, swing from a higher point round the side and over the ball. If the ball is going into the net, swing from a lower point round the side and over the ball. You can swing as hard as you want as long as you brush the ball with spin.

Try to keep the salute/finishing position the same , whether it is the right ear, right eyebrow, left ear, left eyebrow, forehead etc. As long as you make the adjustments I am suggesting, you will be able to start aiming balls on the table in practice even if you miss a lot in the first minute or so. After that, your subconscious will start to take over and calibrate how to aim the ball. Nothing wrong with looping like this for practice, only that I use too much upper arm here because of knee damage. I now use more shoulder rotation and push the knee damage somewhat unwisely to its limits:

https://youtu.be/vGaENX_--bY?t=281

If you want more speed, work on turning the shoulders faster. If you want more spin, work on snapping the forearm and wrist faster. Good luck.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 10:35 
Super User

Will take everyone's advice into account,
and that video is a nice learning process and simplistic enough to follow thx NL!

So what's important is the salute, rather then starting the swing?
and also i will try incorporating the footwork as well, but i know it will be hard?
is there any slow mo vids such as the one from ping skills on fh footwork?

edit: going through their library now

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 15:08 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

kim biceps wrote:
and that video is a nice learning process and simplistic enough to follow thx NL!

and also i will try incorporating the footwork as well, but i know it will be hard?

The stroke itself is a whip motion. The salute is more the finishing position and a way of making sure you have a reasonable swing plane and can recover to play the next shot. If you salute too high, you probably overused the upper arm. If you salute too low, you probably swung across your body and will struggle with the next shot.

You probably should not incorporate footwork until you have mastered the swing, but if you want to do that, you should spend a lot of time practicing footwork off the table. I prefer to take things one step at a time as rushing to get good is what leads people to form bad habits. I had to spend a long time trying to reverse some of the results of getting used to swinging hard with my upper arm twice ( 1 year and 3 years into playing ) and I never fully fixed it as it was too ingrained, even though I made it better. That said, there are other approaches to teaching footwork.

Here is the basic ping skills video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0v5SvlD1oQ

I don't agree with move-stop-hit but I guess it works up to a certain level. At more advanced levels, the stroke must be integrated with the movement or you will be late to fast balls. But that's beyond my pay grade and what you need to know now.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2019, 03:20 
Super User

NextLevel wrote:
kim biceps wrote:

The stroke itself is a whip motion. The salute is more the finishing position and a way of making sure you have a reasonable swing plane and can recover to play the next shot. If you salute too high, you probably overused the upper arm. If you salute too low, you probably swung across your body and will struggle with the next shot.

You probably should not incorporate footwork until you have mastered the swing, but if you want to do that, you should spend a lot of time practicing footwork off the table. I prefer to take things one step at a time as rushing to get good is what leads people to form bad habits. I had to spend a long time trying to reverse some of the results of getting used to swinging hard with my upper arm twice ( 1 year and 3 years into playing ) and I never fully fixed it as it was too ingrained, even though I made it better. That said, there are other approaches to teaching footwork.

Here is the basic ping skills video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0v5SvlD1oQ

I don't agree with move-stop-hit but I guess it works up to a certain level. At more advanced levels, the stroke must be integrated with the movement or you will be late to fast balls. But that's beyond my pay grade and what you need to know now.

Hey long overdue thanks! its true stroke first then the footwork i can fully agree now, so i did hire coach sometime ago and practice stroke weekly forehand loop on topsin and under, bh loop on topspin and under and serve returns chop and bh flicks.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2019, 03:39 
Super User

Been away from the blog for a whilleeee, so updates.

when i was first delve back into tt about 5-6 years ago i had my first real custom bat ( when i was in highschool i used nittaku premades which is really awesome back then, and cheap champion ones, the nittaku was nittaku storm st handle, typhoon fl handle , and 3 stars st handle, typhoon was my fav and from then on i know i like fl more than st handles)

so the first custom bat was, clipper cr wrb with vega pro and rakza 7. got it on really good price cause all are secondhand blade and rubbers, but work really well as im learning again, my bh is naturally very good, even when i start playing again i tend to attack and kill more on bh than fh. keep on using water to make the rubber livelier. played that blade until its lenses fell apart and put on scotch tape on the hole that the lens used to be. then it get stolen one day i left it in the office :(

unto the next bat, straight up viscaria and omega asia plus omega pro on bh, really really good set up, i did varnish the blade too thick tho, since its very hard and stiff the feel and although it has so much power it messes up my wrist because i probably used too much wrist action back then and having small wrist as well ( i still look around on heavier setups since im used to that 90-92 g range setup)

sold the viscaria and got me a long 3 blade, with this blade i used alot of rubbers to test it out, rising dragon, el-s, tg3 neo, h3 nittaku neo, h3 dhs neo. joola rhyzm the ones i can recall, best match was tg3 neo boosted with tempo long.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2019, 04:00 
Super User

Lengthy so will be multiple post haha, so yeah end up my hurricane long 3 was stolen too after, that setup was super nice as i recall, and i respect dhs for making a super balanced offensive blade, like the speed is a notch or two slower than a viscaria, but the way it feels is just on point even with hard chinese rubbers. but i do remember that the surface limba is soft and easier to get spliter off as u remove the rubber.

um after that i got a nittaku barwell fleet as well , might be over 95 grams the way i feel it super stiff super hard. this one i used h3 neo fh and bh, but was way heavy and my strokes become slower with less power, spinny and lower throw than any setups i had before, one thing i notice is with hard surface and stiff u tend to spin using surface of rubber since it doesnt abosorbed the ball as much. ( might be an unpopular opinion)

had a try of chopping with butterfly jsh mxp fh and killer pro bh idea is to develop my fh and stop relying on bh as kill shot. ( which works at the time cause i get killed alot of my bh so i need to focus alot on not using it as much) but with med pips i tend to use it more as block and i find it much better. i stop using that setup because after three months the mxp turns into somewhat as a flat hit rubber which im not fond of ( the first few weeks mxp is so crazy good the fresh ones u can just feel the boll rolling in and u snap the ball out it goes spinny with perfect trajectory and all.

in the meantime tg3 neo and h3neo been something i use on and off as they have the perfect thing i look for in a rubber boosted ofc, its still lacking in power, but u can go all HAM on shots where u cant on other modern tensors.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2019, 05:35 
Super User

i went and try an 83 g violin with t3 neo fh , and bh vega pro, loved playing with violin, just that maybe with the weight it messes up the way i produce my power, where i tend to flat hits more than i would like to, way different technique and something i can never get use or din want too, so i retire that setup as well.

and i think after that i used one of my longest setup ever, its fang bo b2, with h3 neo fh and rozena bh, still using tg3 once in a while, but gradually h3 neo is giving me more spin and more consistency in bad shots. tg3 neo is very dear in my heart because it gives u pin point accuracy on good swings, a medium to low throw which is good as ppl have harder time to reply the shots. but h3 is definitely easier to play on long rallies.

the fang bo b2 is stiff hard even with limba surface, very durable limba as i had changed fh rubber time after time, and it didnt flake, i even hit it at the side table once, i mean it kinda leave a mark but not so much if it were on other blades i fee. and again at 91 g dhs makes it okay to play with heavier blades because of how balanced their blade is, very diff experience to viscaria and barwell fleet that i had.

i played the b2 for round 1 half years before retiring it because while it was balanced and okay, makes me consistent it was somewhat mediocre the feel especially is somehwat hollow ( again i varnished this blade as well maybe thats why)

next i play dhs hurricane ning since i got it at a good price, like an ebenholz v but maybe natural one with no ntc, and i didnt varnish it, it plays well, h3 neo fh, rozena bh also , really balanced , hard surface , but flexible and i like having that experience of playing that kinda blade, even tho using hard h3 rubbers on fh it goes well, i suspect ebenholz will go that way, the blade is 88 g good feel, i learn mostly third ball attack using this blade as i developed a good side underspin serve , third ball with fh or bh as finisher with bh being more consistent as ppl most often then not chop my serve. after using the hurricane ning for 1 year i decided to retire it, this comes as the fh side peel off and the handle is becoming lighter in colour as i always wash my handles alot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next