OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 17:42 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Was just thinking about an opportunity to make a few dollars in a job that I don't think exists. I'd love to be a custom bat fitter where I visit a club or review video of a player and charge a fee to provide an equipment recommendation.

I actually don't have the skills but I think it would be great if someone has the ability to do this. As well as the usual stuff such as bat speed, rubber speed and thickness etc I think it would be invaluable to be recommending pips for the appropriate players. I know I'd pay a fee to end up with an appropriate blade and rubber.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 18:22 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
I was reading how a large online TT retailer had a full-time racket assembler, and thought that it would be a nice therapeutic gig, unless OX long pips became a lot more popular.

The job you describe already exists in a less structured (less accountable?) form, except that the recommendation fee is built into coaching fees, or equipment prices from retailers. And people also get the advice for free, as we can see on the forums every day.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 00:08 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Cobalt wrote:
Was just thinking about an opportunity to make a few dollars in a job that I don't think exists. I'd love to be a custom bat fitter where I visit a club or review video of a player and charge a fee to provide an equipment recommendation.

I actually don't have the skills but I think it would be great if someone has the ability to do this. As well as the usual stuff such as bat speed, rubber speed and thickness etc I think it would be invaluable to be recommending pips for the appropriate players. I know I'd pay a fee to end up with an appropriate blade and rubber.

Aah,

Table tennis analogue for golf custom fitter?

That definitely what I want! ;)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 02:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

hangdog wrote:
I was reading how a large online TT retailer had a full-time racket assembler, and thought that it would be a nice therapeutic gig, unless OX long pips became a lot more popular.

Anyone remember this? :lol:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTYyNjQ0MDcy.html

If you have to glue and cut rubber 8 hours a day I'll bet you'd love to have one of these.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 03:21 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Cobalt wrote:

Already working on making it a reality based on a players arm speed and swing plane vs incoming spin and speed of a ball ;)

I'm convinced there is an optimum swing speed and swing plane for each type of rubber. If you can match a rubber to a players style and technique, that player wouldn't have to change their technique as much and you'd get away from the "tenergy is best" syndrome. Tenergy is best with players with a certain sytle and technique - not everyone. Concentrating on developing ways of testing rubbers in a consistent manner. Unfortunatley when I contacted people like track-man they had no intention of developing a product for table tennis analysis. But there are others to approach yet.

Complications involve the blade used though and the sponge hardness and thickness. It's a challenge I like though so I'll keep persuing it, but not as a stand alone custom fit business. That's not cost affective. But combine it with other value propositions for players and it starts to be. :)

Currenlty waiting on the development of Kickstarter products / projects before moving this to the next level - and it's not cheap to start up. Possible partnerships with Scientific testing laboritories or Universities are also an option. There is a forum member here who knows much more about my plans, but like most things, it takes time and energy to progress.

Last edited by Debater on 08 Jan 2017, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 03:23 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Good on you debater, sound an interesting project. Look forward to hearing more when there's further developments.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 10:17 
I am Legend
I am Legend

retul for tabletennis?

(colbalt probably knows what i'm talking about)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 10:29 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Silver wrote:
retul for tabletennis?

(colbalt probably knows what i'm talking about)

So does google search engine ;)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 11:28 
I am Legend
I am Legend

i was just thinking about this.
Doable with a kinect, possibly a phone mounted in a bat to use it's accelerometers.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 12:05 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

One idea I had was to use the golf zepp analyser and attach it to the back of the bat. I've found studies on using high speed cameras to measure incoming and outgoing spin rates and I've been in discussion with the person behind a high speed camera kickstarter project about development in his camera to support better low light capability, I'm monitoring another kickstarter project which has developed lighting suitable for high speed photography avoiding flicker, my brother has approached someone to build a pneumatic arm with variable speed to simulate arm plane consistently and other tests and means of testing are under consideration...

However for this to be cost affective I'd have to become self employed and focus on it full time and it would need to tie in with other business models I'm thinking of providing linked value propositions for other customer segments. There's an awful lot to consider not including controlling all the variables in determining the performance of a rubber.

Ultimately though I'd love to have built up a data base of tested equipment based on swing plane/bat angle at contact point arm speed, incoming ball speed, spin rate and resultant outgoing spin and speed rates, maybe including trajectory. A customer could then come in, I'd then be able to use a device like the zepp to measure their arm speed and swing plane, ask them what they wanted to increase or even decrease, maybe even how far away they played from the table and the type of players they typically played and then find from my data base of tested equipment the rubber best suited to their "technique" and style. There's a he'll of a lot more to this but I'm not going in to it on an open forum.

For now the next step will be to borrow my brothers Sony Rx100 iv and see what quality of results I can get with it's high speed performance and the reaction of a spinning ball when making contact with various short pimpled rubbers I've got - a sort of very rough test of which short pimple reacts most to incoming spin. All good fun, if expensive and time consuming - but the idea is there and being slowly worked on.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 01:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I KNEW IT!! I'd seen this before, many months ago, pretty hard to find it again, though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... t=coollang

They make a tennis version and a badminton version, works with your smartphone, and costs under $90 ($30 for the badminton one).

Maybe a matter of getting them to rewrite some of the badminton or tennis software for table tennis. If they could reduce the weight to, say, 5-8 grams... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 21:58 

Badminton physics are much less complicated compared to all the materials used in table tennis. I have thought about using some 3d engine to create a testing atmosphere but I don't have any idea how table tennis physics really work. I also doubt manufacturers would disclose every piece of information about their products and people have all different strokes so the information would still be very unreliable. That sensor could help in that, but the project is way too big to do in on the side.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 00:33 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
And, of course, if you get it all down to a fine science, some people will immediately start saying that you are ruining the game.