OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 07:32 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
About the Taipei Cup. They were using DHS 40+ plastic balls and there were a lot of balls rejected. In the end the rejects were gone through again & again to find the least worst ball. I as umpire was also spinning balls on the tournament director's table to select balls. I am not sure whether they were out of round or out of balance. Also a few seemed to get broken easily or were soft. Apparently they were used because of sponsorship.

In other news I am now out of being careful mode. However real life (TM) intervenes on going to the club immediately, and possibly taking it slowly might be the better course. Saturday afternoon social beckons however. Maybe the club next week.

Also new rubbers are on the agenda, however a little cash flow issue with medical bills, reno bill & a loan to a relative are pushing that back a little.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 14:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Retriever wrote:
Just heard on the radio that Sam Von Einem is in the gold medal match for his classification against the number one ranked player.

Did you hear if Sam won Retriever?

I scored a match of his at Dandenong Open earlier this year. He's an exciting young player.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 16:29 

Sam lost. They showed the 3rd game (1-1) then the last game that evening on free to air TV, then interviewed him with the silver medal around his neck. From memory it was after 9pm, maybe even after 10pm.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 11:39 

As said in the other thread I umpired at the Australian Veterans Finals day yesterday, but I also did something else significant to a TTer. I don't know that I saw any other OOAK Forumers, but then I didn't have my OOAK shirt on, but nor did I see anyone else with one.

Guess what, you eagle-eyed gentle readers?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 06:33 

Well, I got new rubbers while umpiring at the Australian Vets.

I could have gone to the social afternoon that afternoon, but in the interests of marital harmony I didn't.

Although suffering from a heavy cold last Monday night I dragged myself to the club to try them out. I felt that on the whole it did not take too much to mostly adapt, although the Tenergy still goes long on some shots. I find that these rubbers, being a lot more lively, do help with the plastic ball for me.

On Saturday just gone, I went to the social afternoon and found that I have ended up with the same rubbers as my brother. I had forgotten exactly which rubber he got earlier this year. Coincidence!

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 06:47 

Went to the club again last night. Played a fairly experienced guy. After we finished he asked me which pimples I was using. Remember, I have new (3rd time used ever) rubbers as per the left hand side of my posts (T05 & Evolution FX-P, both max sponge). Go figure. This is not the first time I have been asked this question.

Against the second last guy I played last night I managed to split the skin of the 1st joint of my little and ring fingers on the edge of the table to draw blood. I went on to win 3-2. In more drama, against the last guy I played, he was up 2-0 in games and looked like winning the 3rd when he went for a shot and ended up on the floor having twisted his knee or something. Everyone stopped and a friend of his helped him manipulate it until he was able to stand up. We stopped and both went home.

Today I am joking that I was playing bare knuckle table tennis and that if people think my injuries look bad they should have seen the other guy as he couldn't walk properly afterwards :)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 10:48 

Happy New Year!

This year I do not have any children doing their final year at school (HSC for those in the know), so I may be able to get back and play more.

The last time I picked up a bat was 17th December last year, so I am fairly itching to play. Also the rubbers are still relatively new so ... Hoping that the local club is open tonight, but it may not reopen till next week.

Also, don't tell my wife, but I may end up being head of the local association (think ITTF - National - State/Provincial - local association, in terms of where it is in the hierarchy) come early February on the basis that it is easier to deal with it after the fact. I have been on the committee for a couple of years on the strength of helping run a venue for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon that is overseen by the local association.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 06:37 

I texted the guy in charge yesterday afternoon and he confirmed that the club resumes next Monday night.

Also the expression I was after in yesterday's post was that it is easier to as for forgiveness than get permission. What is the first thing that goes with age again? :)

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 10:47 

Tis the season of AGMs - annual general meetings.

On Friday night we had the one for the local association. Fortunately someone else was voted as president. The outgoing president was turning 80 this year and had just recently had 3 stents put in so understandably was not standing again. I undertook to go to the state AGM as it was an hour after the umpire's AGM & GM at the same venue on Saturday.

On Saturday afternoon I went to the umpire's AGM where the current officeholders were re-elected. We then had a general meeting where more was discussed, mostly about umpire, referee and TD (not tournament director but technical delegate!) training. Apparently there is only one of the latter in Australia, but our president would like to be one. I asked whether there were official guidelines for the new advice between points rules and was told that there is on the ITTF web site.

Then there was the state AGM. Most of the attendees were the same as the umpire's AGM & GM and were veteran players as well, and to my shock I knew them all to talk to. Again almost all of the incumbents were re-elected. Following this was the state council meeting (like committee meeting) which was where I put forward the questions that the local association wanted answers.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 06:45 

Played last night. A couple of notable things:
1. Played against a penholder who only had rubber on one side, paint on the other. I looked at his bat before playing and knew that. When he played, he was using the painted side. It didn't matter as he was a bit rusty and I knew what was happening. After the game I told him that if he wanted to use that side he needed it to have some rubber on it. Both he and a friend of his agreed that when he last played that it was OK to use the side without rubber. I am not so sure about that.

2. Where we play there is a mixture of 40+ balls. Mostly Stag, but also some DHS. Against a player who I am usually competitive with we had a very old DHS that seemed very smooth, bounced low and did not seem to take spin. To his credit, the other player offered that we get a different ball while we were hitting up and I mentioned it. I replied that I would have to get used to it. I lost badly for me. Hopefully I also learned something.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 06:56 

Played again last night. Heard that the penholder mentioned last week may well be getting some sort of rubber for his backhand.

Also played the same player as last week, this time with a reasonable Stag ball. This time I was competitive and could have beaten him. It may have helped that I played him when he came in late, straight from work, while I had had a couple of matches to warm up.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 06:51 

OK, now back to playing competition. As background, I am part of a 7 person team but need a minimum of 3 players on a night. We play 9 rubbers, 6 singles & 3 doubles. Each of the 3 players playing singles plays against 2 of the opposition, then I'm not sure of the rules regarding doubles other than that the same 2 can only play one doubles. We are in Division 2. We have recently moved from promotion & relegation based on % rubbers won to being based on Ratings Central cut-offs. I was previously graded Div 2 based on last playing in 2011 or 2012, while having an RC rating of 1530 +-195 dating back to 2009. The Div 2 range is 1250 - 1400. We don't have a team in a higher division (1 or Premier) so I am allowed to play Div 2. We also have another player MD who is above the 1400 cut-off (1456) but as for my case, we don't have a higher team he too is allowed to play.

Last night first up I played against SC who served very tightly and didn't give any free points off my serve either. I won the 1st game fairly comfortably probably because of my unusual style, then he adapted and won the next 2 games. I then managed to guts the 4th game. Then in the 5th and deciding game he led most of the way until I managed to draw up to 9-9. I somehow won the next point (I think I floated one back and he hit it off the end of the table. He then served at 10-9 to me and served into the back of the table. Anticlimax time, however to be fair i had gotten to be 10-9 up to be able to take advantage of the situation. I am out of practice against anyone who loops, and SC had a very controlled loop that on a couple of occasions had almost shot through under my bat.

I then played VB, who was a tall, lanky guy with a very long reach and a monster forehand when the ball was in his hitting zone. Suffice it to say I didn't let him use it if I could help it, at least not without either jamming him in or putting "cruel and unusual" spin or lack thereof on it. I mostly tried to play him on his backhand or spun the ball in to his body so that he had to both move and play his shot. This one was more of a usual day at the office and beat him something like 3, 4 & 5.

The 2 doubles I played in, one was with D and we don't really gel as a combination, but nevertheless managed to win it 3-2. The other was with JV our captain, and we played quite well to win fairly easily 3-0.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 07:00 

Looked up the rules about doubles - if you play singles you can play no more than 2 doubles.

Last night first up played an older gentleman with inverted on his backhand and short pimples on forehand, although he did sometimes twiddle to serve. Interestingly he seemed to get more spin with the short pimples than the inverted. Anyway, apart from hitting some of his inverted shots into the net and some of his short pimple shots off the table with spin or into the net as a result of it being pimples, I managed to adapt to win the first rubber 3-0.

The first doubles we had a fourth player DZ and AF who hadn't yet played a singles yet play, and they lost pretty badly. One of the opposition, SW was just teeing off with a pretty good forehand loop from anything with back spin on it. As I was umpiring this I didn't get the chance to warn them of this.

I then played SW, knowing what he would do. When I did push, it was to jam his forehand or to his backhand. I won the first 2 games, then let the 3rd game get away. I then won the 4th game fairly convincingly.

The 2nd doubles we played PU and DZ (who was on call) and I again umpired. Well we were down 1-2 in games and up 2-1 in points when DZ got the call, so we forfeited the rubber.

The 3rd doubles was myself and AF. We lost the 1st game and were 6-6 in the 2nd when I questioned whether the correct server and receiver were in play. Unfortunately, the guy umpiring hadn't written who was serving & receiving at the beginning of the rubber, so we spent 5 minutes arguing (the toss literally:)) or debating who should be serving and receiving. It did not help that both sides had a right & left handed combination. Eventually we determined who was to serve & receive, and I worked out that the previous point had been received by our opposition with the wrong player (the point stood anyway as it was played so it was a moral point I was making). Anyway we then proceeded to win the next 3 games and win the rubber.

Overall we won the night 5 rubbers to 4.

Next week our match is the same night as the next association committee meeting. Even with 7 players to fill 3 positions on the night it looks like I may have to skip the meeting. And it looked to have an interesting agenda with at least one club head having "thrown the toys out of the pram" over some competition by-laws. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

I have also been waiting to see what happens to my inflated RC numbers, but apparently last week's results aren't up there yet.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 11:49 

We have had a few deferred matches in our comp, and played one of them last night. I played 2 high school girls, both with pimples on their backhand, one of them the daughter of a guy I used to play against before his daughter was born.

The first one, KN had a good flat hit which gave me a few small issues, but in the end I prevailed 3-0.

The second one, SH was utterly lost in the first game, but after some coaching got up 2-1. I suspect that coaching consisted of telling her to use patience, spin the ball up a little to make it safer then when the ball was high enough do the flat hit. She too had a flat hit even better than her team mate. Quite often she smashed the ball into the brick wall that was to one side of the court and I was left having to get to the ball before it (and I) hit the wall. Well the game score got to 2-2 and we changed ends at 4-5 but she got away and won the rubber.

We were using Stag 40+ which are seamless and I felt that I could not get enough spin on the ball to trouble SH after the first game. To me it shows the viability of the flat hitting game with the new plastic balls.

Each of us on our team won a rubber after all the singles were over, then we played the doubles. We managed to take out all 3 of the doubles and ended up 6-3.

I suspect that there is a very happy recipient of some of my RC points.

On Monday we play another deferred match.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 12:01 

A bit out of order, but here goes.

Last Thursday, on behalf of our local association 2 of us on the committee toured the new partially built PCYC facility in our area, along woth representatives from basketball, futsal and (I think) roller derby. It will consist of a hall that will have 2 full sized basket ball courts, various amenities including a cafe which will have "decent coffee", and a multi-use room. We were shown the hall first, which had a partially constructed wooden floor floating on concrete and dimmish lighting. I foolishly asked what the lighting intensity of the hall would be when finished and was told that the current lighting was it and that it was "up to spec for basketball", but the project manager would get back to us on the exact lumen figure. we were then shown to the multi-use room which we learned was where the PCYC manager was thinking was ideal for table tennis. It had floor to ceiling windows facing west, white walls and ceiling, and the floor was cushioned vinyl on concrete. I got real popular asking whether the walls were their final colour (only white plastic balls currently approved remember), whether there were curtains in the plan for the windows, and of course the lumens question. The answers I got there and then were that the walls were their final colour and that the windows had electrically operated louvres to block the sunlight but of course they were also, you guessed it, white.

In an email to the PCYC manager I re-asked the lumens question, the height of the lights in both areas (no problem in the basketball hall) the usable area of the multi-use room. I also asked the PCYC manager how he saw table tennis using his facility, costs, PCYC membership rules etc. From a response it seems that he wants us to put together a program which he would then respond to or negotiate over. No response to the costs question.

None of us on the local association have the time to run table tennis there. I already put in 2.5 - 3 hours a week to run a walk in table tennis afternoon at a community centre on a Saturday afternoon, as well as a further similar amount of time per month on the local association committee. From the committee, I live closest to this new PCYC facility.

It seems to me that what is needed is a professional (or semi-professional) TT coach who would want to run things there. About the only one I can think of is already spending a night a week here, a night a week there with firm commitments, and is also involved in coaching nationally. Also we don't know whether the PCYC would be interested in buying tables & nets or whether a TT tenant would have to supply them.

Pros: the PCYC is at least interested in having table tennis as a tenant.
Cons: We (table tennis) don't know the best way forward.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next