OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 May 2017, 22:13


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 02:45 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 02:14
Posts: 2
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Blade: stratus defense
FH: tibhar elp
BH: dawaei long pips
joo is out of the world defender. his footwork is so fluid and he always oppsite half of the court to be in position to receive the exptreme crosscourt and that inborn mental compass helps him to reach seemingly impossible balls. He is versatile with the speed and backspin of his return . Also he thinks fat and is creative in adapting his game to the situation. Guess all this are god gifted talents to be sharpened by hard work


Top
 Profile  
 


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 03:01 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2013, 11:04
Posts: 610
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 74 times
Blade: DMS Destroyer
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: Transformer 1.5 mm
it is more complex than following, but ill keep it simple:

he chops equally good from both sides which lot of modern defenders cant, he have great movement and a killer fh spin...enough...

_________________
My TT blog
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 09:35 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 07 Nov 2014, 13:26
Posts: 457
Location: Bogor, Indonesia
Has thanked: 2056 times
Been thanked: 56 times
Blade: B.Pemula Custom
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Yinhe/Galaxy Neptune
iskandar taib wrote:
I must say, I found Gionis's chop to be more spectacular. When most choppers (including Joo) chop the chops start getting higher and higher. With Gionis, though, they're low and long and sneak in right over the net.

Is there anyone that twiddles and chops? Who can chop from either side with long pips OR inverted, AND loop from either side with inverted? If someone of Joo's caliber could master this it would be deadly.

Iskandar

Yes, We have Gustaf Ericson ;)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 17:56 
Offline
Full member

Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 21:12
Posts: 63
Location: Arizona
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Blade: Hurricane Long 5
FH: H3
BH: 05
How he plays a complete match instead of trying to win every point/game. He's in it for the long hall. He plays better as the match progresses ahead or behind.

When hes flowing his matches just go like 1-0,,1-2,,3-2///0-1,,1-1,,1-2,,3-2!! Trading games back and forth is no problem neither.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 04:48 
Offline
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 10:45
Posts: 2460
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 220 times
Blade: Xiom Vega Pro FL
FH: Nexy Karis M B Max
BH: Nexy Karis M R Max
Forehand topspin and Forehand chop both at a high level. Very few defenders today chop and topspin at a high level on their Forehand side.

_________________
Cobra Kai TT Exponent (Mercy effs up your Game)
One-Loop Man: One Loop... Again????
Lumberjack TT Exponent


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 12:21 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Joined: 16 Oct 2007, 13:44
Posts: 2869
Location: Houston
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 127 times
Easy answer.

His offense.

_________________
Butterfly Viscaria Black tag
2.2 mm Nexy Karis M on FH and BH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 08:36 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2017, 13:38
Posts: 16
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
Blade: Clipper CR WRB
FH: Spectol 21 MAX
BH: Evolution EL-P
Baal wrote:
Easy answer.

His offense.


I'd argue it's more his incredible consistency on both wings.. he can chop back insane loops, even out of position, and hit it cleeaaner than any other chopper out there today

Joo's offense is world class, mos def, but I don't think it's necessarily better than other good choppers, especially choppers who only use their FH for attack like Weixing or Gionis


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 10:05 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Joined: 16 Oct 2007, 13:44
Posts: 2869
Location: Houston
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 127 times
Bizzoss9000 wrote:
Baal wrote:
Easy answer.

His offense.


I'd argue it's more his incredible consistency on both wings.. he can chop back insane loops, even out of position, and hit it cleeaaner than any other chopper out there today

Joo's offense is world class, mos def, but I don't think it's necessarily better than other good choppers, especially choppers who only use their FH for attack like Weixing or Gionis


I think Joo's offense -- mainly his forehand -- is far stronger than Weixing or Guionis because unlike the others he is very happy to step around and attack with his forehand on balls that are quite far to the backhand side -- just like any other elite offensive player. He seems to be able to transition from chopping to attack far more readily and rapidly than any defender in history, and he does it routinely on balls that the others would almost never attack.

I suspect it is Korean footwork drills, the same kind of thing that allowed Ryu Seung-Min and before him Kim Taek Soo to cover so much space with their forehands (remember both those guys had traditional penhold backhands and were pretty limited as to what they could do offensively from the BH side with that stroke, just as JSH is with his LP). It means that JSH can also cover a lot of space with just his FH when attacking. I believe that JSH has better attacking footwork than any defender ever -- and a lot of elite offensive players too. Of course, all three of these guys are steady as a rock chopping back insane loops. It is like watching someone walk a tightrope sometimes. Amazing for sure. It is possible that JSH is better at that ALSO than the other guys. But the thing that really stands out to me is how much more JSH looks to attack. And I think that is why JSH in his prime accomplished more than those other guys did.

_________________
Butterfly Viscaria Black tag
2.2 mm Nexy Karis M on FH and BH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 13:48 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2017, 13:38
Posts: 16
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
Blade: Clipper CR WRB
FH: Spectol 21 MAX
BH: Evolution EL-P
Baal wrote:
Bizzoss9000 wrote:
Baal wrote:
Easy answer.

His offense.


I'd argue it's more his incredible consistency on both wings.. he can chop back insane loops, even out of position, and hit it cleeaaner than any other chopper out there today

Joo's offense is world class, mos def, but I don't think it's necessarily better than other good choppers, especially choppers who only use their FH for attack like Weixing or Gionis


I think Joo's offense -- mainly his forehand -- is far stronger than Weixing or Guionis because unlike the others he is very happy to step around and attack with his forehand on balls that are quite far to the backhand side -- just like any other elite offensive player. He seems to be able to transition from chopping to attack far more readily and rapidly than any defender in history, and he does it routinely on balls that the others would almost never attack.

I suspect it is Korean footwork drills, the same kind of thing that allowed Ryu Seung-Min and before him Kim Taek Soo to cover so much space with their forehands (remember both those guys had traditional penhold backhands and were pretty limited as to what they could do offensively from the BH side with that stroke, just as JSH is with his LP). It means that JSH can also cover a lot of space with just his FH when attacking. I believe that JSH has better attacking footwork than any defender ever -- and a lot of elite offensive players too. Of course, all three of these guys are steady as a rock chopping back insane loops. It is like watching someone walk a tightrope sometimes. Amazing for sure. It is possible that JSH is better at that ALSO than the other guys. But the thing that really stands out to me is how much more JSH looks to attack. And I think that is why JSH in his prime accomplished more than those other guys did.


Feel like I should point out that Weixing has insane step-arounds and an extremely powerful forehand attack. Far more explosive than Joo and attacks at least as often, namely because he doesn't chop on the forehand. Joo is for sure a more skilled player than Gionis and probably does have a better FH attack, but you're making a point that Joo 'looks to attack' more often, and that's just not the case, because the ONLY thing Weixing and Gionis do on their FH is attack, lol

But yeah you made some good points for sure, interesting thought on the Korean footwork drills influencing his play


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 00:51 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3074
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 762 times
Been thanked: 335 times
Bizzoss9000 wrote:
Feel like I should point out that Weixing has insane step-arounds and an extremely powerful forehand attack. Far more explosive than Joo and attacks at least as often, namely because he doesn't chop on the forehand. Joo is for sure a more skilled player than Gionis and probably does have a better FH attack, but you're making a point that Joo 'looks to attack' more often, and that's just not the case, because the ONLY thing Weixing and Gionis do on their FH is attack, lol

But yeah you made some good points for sure, interesting thought on the Korean footwork drills influencing his play


It's true Gionis and Weixing attack far more often with their FH, but at least in case of Weixing his FH isn't so penetrating like the one of Joo. It's more based on insane spin than on insane speed.

Maybe the polyvalence of Joo's FH also makes Joo the better defender overall?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 23:34 
Online
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat
User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 21:44
Posts: 1094
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 252 times
Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Also. I can only think of two attackers ever that could just tee off of joos chop where as when I think of other choppers although solid in their defence, often lose in pure loop to chop battles.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 09:27 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2017, 13:38
Posts: 16
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
Blade: Clipper CR WRB
FH: Spectol 21 MAX
BH: Evolution EL-P
Lorre wrote:

It's true Gionis and Weixing attack far more often with their FH, but at least in case of Weixing his FH isn't so penetrating like the one of Joo. It's more based on insane spin than on insane speed.

Maybe the polyvalence of Joo's FH also makes Joo the better defender overall?


Not sure which of Weixings matches you've been watching.. but the dude has a crazy penetrating drive. Yeah he spins up balls as well, but when he attacks he often blasts the ball. More of a hardcore Chinese FH drive than the loop-drive of Joo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 20:56 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3074
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 762 times
Been thanked: 335 times
Bizzoss9000 wrote:
Not sure which of Weixings matches you've been watching.. but the dude has a crazy penetrating drive. Yeah he spins up balls as well, but when he attacks he often blasts the ball. More of a hardcore Chinese FH drive than the loop-drive of Joo


I'm still not convinced, Bizzoss. Do you want to give an example?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 01:41 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Joined: 16 Oct 2007, 13:44
Posts: 2869
Location: Houston
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 127 times
Woke up in the middle of the night, so watched quite a bit of video of JSH, CWX, Matsushita, and Giotis. I came to the conclusion that maybe looking at JSH is a bit like three blind men and the elephant (it's a snake, not it's a rope, no it's a tree). I realized that nearly everything said on this thread is true!

I now think JSH is actually a little better at EVERYTHING than all of those others (followed by Matsushita). I still think it stems from his superior footwork, . He can cover so much ground (I still think Korean players of his generation, for example also RSM, are incredibly quick and wonder how they trained that).

Clearly the forehand chop of JSH is insanely heavy and consistent. I hadn't really appreciated that enough before. By comparison, CWX almost never actually chops his forehand when he is on defense, he sort of lobs it back or hits gentle topspin, but he rarely hits a really heavy chop from the forehand side. Giotis would almost prefer to do his kind of sidespinny forehand loop from distance.

All the good defenders have powerful forehand attacks, but JSH is amazing in his ability to get into head to head topspin counterloop rallys with the world's top offensive players and come out on top. CWX does not do that, his forehand is more Chinese looking and effective, but maybe one or two in a row to win a point when he gets a weak ball or to surprise the opponent. Compared to JSH he cannot cover as much ground on either offense or defense. (Accumulation of knee injuries?). Matsushita was pretty amazing in his mobility also. But JSH was just a little better. Evgueni Chtchetinine can chop insanely heavy and varies spin a lot, but lacks the strong attack of the others.

So fundamentally I now think the thing about JSH is his mobility and footwork, which lets him hit amazing shots from either side on either offense and defense. With that come the ability to step around and rip his forehand and to to stay in long heavy counterloop rallies where he is an aggressor, and at the same time bring back a ridiculous number of balls when he is on defense.

_________________
Butterfly Viscaria Black tag
2.2 mm Nexy Karis M on FH and BH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 12:49 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2017, 13:38
Posts: 16
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
Blade: Clipper CR WRB
FH: Spectol 21 MAX
BH: Evolution EL-P
Lorre wrote:
Bizzoss9000 wrote:
Not sure which of Weixings matches you've been watching.. but the dude has a crazy penetrating drive. Yeah he spins up balls as well, but when he attacks he often blasts the ball. More of a hardcore Chinese FH drive than the loop-drive of Joo


I'm still not convinced, Bizzoss. Do you want to give an example?


Too lazy to video hunt. No worries man, you're welcome to disagree


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2012 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: