OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 19:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 21:10 
Super User

Hi guys,

Can anyone compare the SWORD 309 DEF blade to any of the more 'well known' defensive blades? How similar is it to the Joo? Victas? Defplay? Shiono? etc etc?

Or is this blade unique and unlike any of the more popular def blades? Which def blade is it closest to?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 01:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI

there are some you tube vids but not much info

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 02:29 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
I believe... was it japsican(?), who was writing the searching for telnoy blog? I believe he tried it since it was what telnoy uses.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 05:00 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Yep, that was me.

I did try the 309 blade. I loved the way it hit, hated the feeling in the hand. I mean...really hated it. It had the worst grip feel between the handle and the wings of the blade. The wings came down too far, and it gave the blade a strange feel, like the handle was too short and you might not be able to hold on the the blade. But the speed and fell of the ball off the blade was excellent.

So, I dremmeled the wings down (rotary tool with sanding attachment) and viola! One of the best blades around. It went from being the worst blade I'd ever tried to one of the best. If you factor in the price... could be the best value. For chopping with sponged P-1R I preferred the VKM. But for a mixed game between chopping and blocking with OX, I really liked the 309 blade. Nice feel, stiff without being too hard. Just enough catapult. Not too heavy, not to light. Nice handle. Cool looking blade. 7 ply. Kind of reminds me of a slower, larger, Clipper...defensive.

What I noticed was the stiffness helped with overly-sensitive LPs. If I had trouble with sidespin on the VKM, I wouldn't on the 309. So that got me thinking it would be nice for OX pips. It is...very. My next EJ experiment, I am going to try it for an experimental OX LP/SP game like Pamela Song.

But my caveat stands...if you don't sand down the wings, it's awful. With the wings shaved down...it's awesome!

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 05:02 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
@Japsican - where did you get one?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 05:04 

Oh, and it's nothing like the blades you listed. Stiffer than the Defplay and VKM, lighter than Joo and more hollow feeling (not a bad thing). Vibes are very good, lots of feedback. I think one could play a pips hitting game very well with this blade...as well as defend. Hence my forthcoming experiment.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 05:36 

pgpg wrote:
@Japsican - where did you get one?

I got mine from Ali Express...it was hella cheap. Cheapest I've seen it...in the teens. Don't know if it is any more.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 05:49 

ImageImage

Here's what it looked like after I cut it (sorry no before for comparison). But I shaved off a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 12:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sword-3 ... 59817.html

According to Eacheng:

Ply: 9
Weight: about 98g±5g
Thickness: about 5.9mm±0.2mm

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 03:42 

One of the most popular DEF blades where I live. Had a hit with Marder 2 on it once (similar to Telnoy's setup), loved the feel and control on loops, it really was not all that slow. Can't say much compared to others blades and in regards to defensive play - I am a looper/SP hitter. Osiris21 who is regularly posting the videos here lately has a vast experience with Sword 309, and he plays defence himself, so the OP can PM him or ask to join the topic.
tt-maximum.com sells them: http://tt-maximum.com/shop/blades/sword-309-def
As far as I know, there is no english version of the site, but you can contact the shop on e-mail: [email protected].
The seller is the most reputable in Ukraine, btw.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 17:48 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Oh, and it's nothing like the blades you listed. Stiffer than the Defplay and VKM, lighter than Joo and more hollow feeling (not a bad thing). Vibes are very good, lots of feedback. I think one could play a pips hitting game very well with this blade...as well as defend. Hence my forthcoming experiment.

I heard that the Shiono Def is stiff but softer than the Joo, so could be fairly close to the 309?

What about something like a Waldner senso carbon or something similar to that? Could that be similar to the 309?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 17:50 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Yep, that was me.

I did try the 309 blade. I loved the way it hit, hated the feeling in the hand. I mean...really hated it. It had the worst grip feel between the handle and the wings of the blade. The wings came down too far, and it gave the blade a strange feel, like the handle was too short and you might not be able to hold on the the blade. But the speed and fell of the ball off the blade was excellent.

So, I dremmeled the wings down (rotary tool with sanding attachment) and viola! One of the best blades around. It went from being the worst blade I'd ever tried to one of the best. If you factor in the price... could be the best value. For chopping with sponged P-1R I preferred the VKM. But for a mixed game between chopping and blocking with OX, I really liked the 309 blade. Nice feel, stiff without being too hard. Just enough catapult. Not too heavy, not to light. Nice handle. Cool looking blade. 7 ply. Kind of reminds me of a slower, larger, Clipper...defensive.

What I noticed was the stiffness helped with overly-sensitive LPs. If I had trouble with sidespin on the VKM, I wouldn't on the 309. So that got me thinking it would be nice for OX pips. It is...very. My next EJ experiment, I am going to try it for an experimental OX LP/SP game like Pamela Song.

But my caveat stands...if you don't sand down the wings, it's awful. With the wings shaved down...it's awesome!

What is it like speed wise compared to other def blades?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 21:30 

One gear above the vkm far less than the jsh.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 06:22 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
We've made a review of the Sword 309 (in german): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiY6Z17oaEA

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 13:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Sigh...

Just when I wanted to try one, too.. I wonder if Sword is planning on making more, or if they have a replacement.

Iskandar