OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 07:18 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
"Many players criticized as subpar the specific quality of the balls from D.H.S., a Chinese equipment brand that became the official ball supplier after the 2012 Olympics in London."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/sport ... games.html

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 08:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
A good article, thanks for posting hangdog :up: :up: :up:

I think that whoever accepted sponsorship for the event, should take responsibility for this. Not sure if that's related to the ITTF, or the IOC.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 11:20 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
even dhs distributor here picked out dhs ball as the worse one first out of several plastic balls when we did the blind test... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 01:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Dunno, guys... most of those balls looked stepped on to me. Can you imagine anyone hitting the ball hard enough to cause that sort of damage?? :lol:

Attachment:
brokenballs.jpg
brokenballs.jpg [ 165.7 KiB | Viewed 3695 times ]

I'm waiting for the articles on "bat doping" to start... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 08:10 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Dunno, guys... most of those balls looked stepped on to me. Can you imagine anyone hitting the ball hard enough to cause that sort of damage?? :lol:

People do stomp on cracked balls to make sure they aren't used again, or maybe out of annoyance. That could explain some of them.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016, 18:23 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
hangdog wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

People do stomp on cracked balls to make sure they aren't used again, or maybe out of annoyance. That could explain some of them.

It is an internet-based newspaper article. Newspapers usually comprise 30% exaggerated information and 70% made-up garbage. Internet articles are even worse - somehow if you add the percentages of hyperboles and lies, you end up with a total of 150% false info. Okay, maybe not, but you get my drift - the photos are probably of balls that have been stepped on to exaggerate the issue.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016, 21:42 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Musicfreak0 wrote:
hangdog wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

It is an internet-based newspaper article. Newspapers usually comprise 30% exaggerated information and 70% made-up garbage. Internet articles are even worse - somehow if you add the percentages of hyperboles and lies, you end up with a total of 150% false info. Okay, maybe not, but you get my drift - the photos are probably of balls that have been stepped on to exaggerate the issue.

I'm pretty sure the same thing appeared in print, so your hyperbole is a bit off. It is also New York Times and not Buzzfeed or whatever your favorite clickbait source is.

In other words- there is a difference between what NYT, Economist and other similar places publish on the internet and what internet-only outfit will do.

You are entitled to your drift, of course.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016, 06:45 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
Fair point, pgpg - I was exaggerating a bit myself!
I'm standing by the fact that a significant percentage of my local newspaper is mindless junk, though. :lol:

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 23:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, I think most people would agree that NYT Online articles are properly researched and written.. unless you're Donald Trump, er, Drumpf, of course.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 03:10 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Are these the DHS D40 with Ma Long on the package? Then these balls ARE bad, there's no need to paint them any more black at all...

I just wonder why there's so little bad publicity on the Butterfly G40+ which are just plainly disgusting.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 06:28 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
These days the failing NY Times is mostly fake news like The Onion. The bad quality of TT balls is one of their rare accurate articles.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 06:39 
Super User

Red wrote:
Are these the DHS D40 with Ma Long on the package? Then these balls ARE bad, there's no need to paint them any more black at all...

I just wonder why there's so little bad publicity on the Butterfly G40+ which are just plainly disgusting.

The DHS D40+ have Ding Ning on the package.

The old & nasty DHS 40+ have Ma Long on the package.

I suspect the reason we don't hear as much about the Butterfly G40+ is that it doesn't have as many users. I've barely used it, but have used its cheaper versions a fair bit, the Easy Ball 40+ and the Master Quality 40+, and don't mind them. The bounce is good, breakage rates seem to be OK. Lots of my practice partners really dislike the high-pitched sound of the Easy Ball, though.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 10:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mynamenotbob wrote:
These days the failing NY Times is mostly fake news like The Onion. The bad quality of TT balls is one of their rare accurate articles.

Yup, figures. :?:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 12:08 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
mynamenotbob wrote:

Always nice to learn about forum members political allegiances - obviously we don't have enough of that in our TT discussions here. Imagine how much more 'energy' it will add to this forum - it's been too quiet recently.
/s

:?:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 16:40 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
i'm curious what's your fav plastic balls nowadays?

me myself love my asia pacific two stars training balls i even use them for in game since i bought like 100 at one go, and despite the 2 star rating it still is solid and comparable to the xfs 3 stars

I've tried tibhar optimum 40+ and yinhe 3 stars
all solid

maybe xfs have some mild inconsistency ( i bought one box of six before and cracked two ( one was quite new and the ball cracked against a short pip player on smash , so there's that.)

My asia pacific have yet to cracked ( though i did lose a lot of them here and then.)