OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 08:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX

In celebration of our forums 10th Anniversary, share you best and most memorable moments of our forums history here!

Although we should remember the friends we've lost here, I'm sure many of us have made many new friends here, as we all enjoy the sharing and discussions of the sport we love! Our most important forum goals have always been to share knowledge among our friends in table tennis, and to promote our great sport, and to that extent I think we can be proud of the contribution we've made to our sport and our community.

So let help celebrate our forum's 10th Anniversary by sharing your most enjoyable and memorable moments in our forum's 10 year history!!!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 08:32 

I would like to say something. I'm a newbie here, but it doesn't feel like that. This community is so nice and helpful, that's awesome, and I'm sure many great things have happened, respect to the friends you lost! Unfortunately I can't tell good memories (yet :P), but I'm sure they have been here.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 08:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Maurice wrote:
I would like to say something. I'm a newbie here, but it doesn't feel like that. This community is so nice and helpful, that's awesome, and I'm sure many great things have happened, respect to the friends you lost! Unfortunately I can't tell good memories (yet :P), but I'm sure they have been here.

That's great to hear Maurice, thank you! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 09:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thinking back over time, I think that these are he most memorable times for me:

1. Our exclusive Interview with Joo SaeHyuk who is without a doubt one of our forum's hero (and pictured on our forum logo!). How he humbly shared so many details with us was pretty awesome! :oops:

2. Our Table Tennis Blogs section, where people share their personal journey and thoughts about table tennis. To me MNNB's awesome blog MNNB Ramblings: table tennis videos, ITTF, new ball, news, and leatherback's a half year in China-memoirs of a defender are among the best, but I also enjoy many of the others too!

3. The ITTF President Adham Sharara joining our forum to answer questions and discuss issue. Although passions ran high at times, we managed to keep things civil and had some very long discussions turning this into a 3 part series! He may not have been a favourite of many people here, but I think many of us felt honoured that the ITTF president chose our forum to discuss the most important issues in table tennis at the time.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 21:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
This was always an extraordinarily friendly, polite and helpful forum. But, back when the ITTF banned frictionless long pips, this place fell into near anarchy. Some players supported the ban, others rebelled (especially since there was no way to enforce the ban). There was a lot of friction here, pardon the pun. People were accusing each other of being cheaters. It was often very heated and tense. Numerous threads had to be locked. Even the mods were openly fighting.

Through it all, Haggisv remained a pillar of strength who stood tall and kept this place together. He was always fair, demonstrated amazing patience and diplomacy with the warring factions and had everybody's respect. It took some time, but things eventually calmed down and now, thankfully, we're back to being an extraordinarily friendly, polite and helpful forum.

I like it better this way.

I don't know if I'd call this a best moment (more like a worst moment), but it's certainly a historical footnote. I'll write more later when I have more time. There are so many incredible OOAK stories. :)

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 22:15 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
mynamenotbob wrote:
This was always an extraordinarily friendly, polite and helpful forum. But, back when the ITTF banned frictionless long pips, this place fell into near anarchy. Some players supported the ban, others rebelled (especially since there was no way to enforce the ban). There was a lot of friction here, pardon the pun. People were accusing each other of being cheaters. It was often very heated and tense. Numerous threads had to be locked. Even the mods were openly fighting.

Through it all, Haggisv remained a pillar of strength who stood tall and kept this place together. He was always fair, demonstrated amazing patience and diplomacy with the warring factions and had everybody's respect. It took some time, but things eventually calmed down and now, thankfully, we're back to being an extraordinarily friendly, polite and helpful forum.

I like it better this way.

I don't know if I'd call this a best moment (more like a worst moment), but it's certainly a historical footnote. I'll write more later when I have more time. There are so many incredible OOAK stories. :)

Really? wow. I wasn't around during that time, but it sure seems strange to think pips players had in-fighting about the frictionless ban, particularly since even the grippier pips exist because they have less-friction...meaning the lack of friction is the point. Whatever...just interesting.

Yes, HaggisV is a gentleman, and cares deeply for this place, and we are all lucky to benefit from his hard work. Thanks for being a great and consistent leader here Alex!

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 22:28 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
From the time I have been here, and having researched older posts, to me the best moments were:

Leatherback's Journey to China. He started a blog about this and it was awesome.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=18471

Next Level's Rebuilding my forehand (and of all his technical threads with ttEDGE). This has been helpful for anyone who plays with inverted either on one side or both.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27371&start=360

Debaters LARF. Debater makes the best threads, and I like that he challenges the paradigm around here. And that he does so, without being overly confrontational.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30351

Bogeyhunter v. Pushblocker videos. A clash of styles, and epic.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 07:08 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
When I reported here that a certain percentage of bats & rubber were being failed at a particularly important tournament without identifying whose bats, we umpires received a sternly worded email saying that someone had done something like "violated player privacy" and quoted some of that post. I still don't know how high up the person was who must have read it. I don't have access to that email right now, but I should tonight.

I was tempted to point out that player privacy had not been breached but felt that that would have identified me.

This is the most memorable thing for me, not sure whether that is a highlight or a lowlight :). Others are the involvement of the ITTF equipment committee here and their willingness to answer a lot of questions. Interviews with pro players is another. The work that a few members have put in to investigate the plastic ball (I'm looking at Debater and Baal here). The honesty that is evident in almost all posters, and the civility to agree to disagree.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 15:37 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
There has got to be a thousand plus moments. I think one of the best one was the multi-forum pimping of the Schildkrot 900 blade, we got a LOT of people into those threads and it was a blast. Tat's "Garage" posts should have received more consideration for Hall of Fame.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 23:07 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
My best moments have really been behind the scenes, using the PM system to exchange thoughts and ideas with people, make new friends (tat I've still got that dvd you sent me of your son playing tennis :) ) and on occasion meet up and play, or to seek advice and support - plastic ball video series is a good example of where a lot of exchanges of ideas, reviews of scripts etc went on between myself, haggisv and baal for months prior to the videos being released.

Best threads, well not really the best but the ones which stick in my mind - Adham Sharara's threads. Much heated debate, borderline vitriol, evasive "answers", like two boxers slugging it out in the middle of the ring, neither conceding or giving an inch.

Torsten's plastic ball thread. Brought Torsten to the forum and he's never once shied away from answering a question I've asked him, or pointing me in the right direction to get an answer.

There have been low moments too. Speedplays departure and how it took place, metal monkey's passing. Flame wars and experiencing first hand the impact that having to deal with these matters had on those people who work hardest to keep this forum running smoothly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There is a heck of a lot which goes on behind the scenes which 99% of forum members aren't aware of. That's a sign of a well run forum and also some of the best moments.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 13:42 
Comeback Chopper

My best moment in the OOAK Forum was when I received the email from Joo SaeHyuk thanking OOAK Forum members for our get well wishes when he was sick. I received the email one evening when I was in my hotel room in Israel. It was an amazing way to end a day full of interesting work-related meetings. A few minutes after receiving that email, I forwarded Joo's email to my wife and daughter. That was a huge surprise for them, since they didn't know that I reached out to Joo SaeHyuk.

My second best moment was doing the interview of Joo SaeHyuk with Pipsy. It was very special to share that experience with Pipsy. It was thrilling while we were waiting for Joo's final approval of my wife's translation from Korean into English, and then so exciting to share that interview with the OOAK Forum members.

My third best moment was reading the response to my long description of my experience in the 1975 World Championships. I was concerned that my post was way too long, and so seeing all the positive responses sure felt great.

Lastly, although not a special moment, I have very much enjoyed learning so much about table tennis from other forum members. I am certain that I would not have reached my present level after returning to table tennis without the countless helpful advice from forum members.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2017, 16:03 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
10 years?!! :o Where has the time gone?

Happy Birthday OOAK!! :party: :party: :party: :party:

I remember lots of it and lots of members who have come (and many, many) gone. There's been some great discussions and stories. I know the rules of TT in far more detail than most players I play against from being here. I know the shonkiness behind the game (at governing body levels) unfortunately too... and I don't just mean the ITTF. Some of that knowledge comes from the forum and some comes from knowing people in the system.

I would have to say some of the games we played on here like the TT word game we played years ago have provided some fun times, as have some of the poetry, jokes and fictional stories written by so many different characters from across the world (and we Aussies definitely hold our own on that front).

I have many friends that I would never have had because of this forum. Some I met in person from here, and some I've known a long time but never met. Guys like JimWeiland, GrumpyJoe, Dingwol2 and DWruck who I've had as Facebook friends for a long time now. Then there's guys like Debater and So_Devo (and many many more in this category) who I feel are friends that I only have contact with here. Of course meeting and hitting with Haggisv last year was quite a highlight, but I hope its not the peaking of meetings with people from here yet....so many more meetings I'd like to happen in years ahead as I hope to travel one day to the UK and the US and have chances to meet up with long time friends then.

Anyway, here's to the next decade of OOAK forumming. May we all prosper in our TT! :rock:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 01:37 

Blade: Rossi Allround
FH: LKT PRO XP
BH: 729 CROSS
my best moment was when I got my new donic blade with mxp and rakza 7 rubbers!

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 16:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

birding&table.tennis wrote:
My best moment in the OOAK Forum was when I received the email from Joo SaeHyuk thanking OOAK Forum members for our get well wishes when he was sick. I received the email one evening when I was in my hotel room in Israel. It was an amazing way to end a day full of interesting work-related meetings. A few minutes after receiving that email, I forwarded Joo's email to my wife and daughter. That was a huge surprise for them, since they didn't know that I reached out to Joo SaeHyuk.

My second best moment was doing the interview of Joo SaeHyuk with Pipsy. It was very special to share that experience with Pipsy. It was thrilling while we were waiting for Joo's final approval of my wife's translation from Korean into English, and then so exciting to share that interview with the OOAK Forum members.

Yes that was certainly very special, not just for you, but the whole forum! :rock: :rock: :rock: