OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 16:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Do you think that a knot on the outer ply of a blade is acceptable?
See below in the picture. It's not a bad knot, but do you think it will affect play?

Attachment:
knot-on-stiga-blade.JPG
knot-on-stiga-blade.JPG [ 145.76 KiB | Viewed 1161 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 19:00 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I doubt it will affect play but doesn't show great quality control, would expect better from Stiga.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 19:11 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
If it was in the middle, I'd be more concerned. Still an interesting question. Maybe one of our blade builders can weigh in on how a wood ply with a knot compares to a normal, consistent, knotless ply.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 19:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I know that in premade bats knots are very common, so they obviously use a lower grade of wood.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 22:07 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Building my own blade, I would not use that piece of wood. I would be disappointed if I paid for a blade with a knot. From a lot of carving and wood working, I know most knots are harder than the rest of the wood.

The position of that knot would rarely be hit but it would probably be something I would keep thinking about. :^) I doubt you could tell if it hit the knot area but why pay for it when 99% of blades don't have knots?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 23:09 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
The wood of the knot is harder and may come loose over time making that area somewhat inconsistent. On the other hand, the location is definitely out of the area you ususally would cover while playing so it wouldn't affect the usual character of the blade and you'll hardly notice a difference between a perfect blade and this one.
Is it acceptable? For a blade in the lower price range yes, in my opinion, but you still should ask for some rebate. Major brand with prices of $40 and up to the moon, no, at least not without a huuuge rebate.

Another issue I am thinking of is, if they allow a knot on the visible area, how's the quality on the invisible (while hidden) layers?
On the other hand, there's no guarantee that a perfect looking blade doesn't have issues on the inner layers. But the eyes are easy to trick anyway, the ears are better quality-metres, even a few hertz difference will be noticed.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 18:58 

Blade: custom all wood
FH: Tibhar Genius
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7
While all of the above probably is true, I have never noticed any difference in play between wood with knots, skewed grains, fish scales, ...

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 01:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You know, after looking at quite a few photos of TSP Regalis mounted on rackets, I'm amused by how unconcerned we are about the HUGE area taken up by the ID strip on the rubber sheets we use, yet are worried about that tiny knot... :lol: I personally would have no reservations using that blade, though I too would want a discount... :lol: On the other hand.. if it happened that that particular blade was 79 grams and the others in stock were 85, I'd take it without hesitation, discount or no discount. Can't say I can recall seeing a knot on any of my Chinese blades (though I really should go over all those M8s with a fine-toothed comb just to be sure.. :lol: The M8 is the epitomy of cheap blades, and I would expect defects - I do see quite a bit of variation in thickness and weight.).

Iskandar