OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017, 10:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've had a go with both this rubbers on the same blade, so I thought I'd offer a few comments on how they compare.

For blocking, although the speed does not feel much different, the II is more sensitive to spin and does not offer the same amount of reversal, cause higher balls that tended to go off the end. This II is not that good for passive blocking. However the II is quite good as counter hitting or attacking balls, so you need to play more actively with it to make it effective.

For chopping the II will add a little extra as it has more bite. The original offers mainly reversal with high control, the II allow you to change the spin a little more, and can add some extra spin with the snap of the wrist.

The two rubber are really very different, and share very little apart from the name. The original Dornenglanz is still one of the best for passive blocking and pushing near the table, the Dornenglanz II for more aggressive play either close in or away from the table.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017, 13:45 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
For me the Spinlord Dornenglanz works really well for me on my BH I love passive chop blocking close to the table with very soft hands. :?: :up: :clap:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017, 19:06 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
i mainly us LP to chop topspins or to push, punch backspin

speed feels the same for both
control is little bit better on D1
push, punch, generally shots vs backspin both feels the same for me (same amount of disruption)
chop vs topspin is where is the main different, D1 gives best backspin from all legal LP when doing mid distance chop (1-2 m from table), D2 is just average in this part.
backspin amount is almost 2-3 times higher on D1 comparing to D2

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 10:15 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I had a brief stint with Dorneneglanz and remember liking it quite a bit; unfortunately, it died a horrible, shriveled death in a tragic OX gluing accident :(

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 11:47 
Super User

Same with me Joo Se Kev :( Fairly thin rubber so could not save it

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 00:27 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
The fragility if DG is too much to worry about for me. And it's too hard to get here. If you accidentally let it fold over during gluing...it's lost.

Shipping costs because I have to obtain it from a foreign source makes it even more prohibitive.

But for OX chopping AND pushing in one package, it's unmatched.

Lastly, the fact that the pips are tacky, there is a wear factor, such that the behavior is vastly different when new vs when it's slightly worn in. So, if you break pips right before a tournament and need to apply a new sheet, you might have to go to your tournament with an unfamiliar sheet.

I find Zeitgeist to be a nice similar enough OX rubber for a mixed chopping/pushing game. Nowhere near the reversal or dangerousness on passive strokes, but pretty good. And if you chop or chop block well it's about the same in backspin...although the zeitgeist is a little grippier so less Dependant on spin from your opponent. With DG, vs spinless players...it's useless and hard to control. Still, the only time I ever beat a 2000+ player was with DG. Not possible at my level with any other setup...however I was also more inconsistent vs. certain styles at the lower levels.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 03:28 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I never used the original, but I'm still enjoying using the DG 2. As I'm getting more used to it, I'm getting better and better at hitting, and on chop blocks it provides a lot of backspin. When passive blocking, I find my opponents will miss more from the pace rather than the spin. Gives a nice difference between passive and active blocks that keeps them guessing.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 12:04 

DG is driving me nuts!!!! Great rubber with horrible durability. I play 7-10 hours a week. 2 weeks for a black one, 3 weeks for the red one! That's all I can squeeze out of it. Makes me mad!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 16:38 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Yeah I went away from DG1 because of the durability issues as well, I was very happy if I could get a month out of a sheet. I'm satisfied enough with D.Tecs but it's not as good as DG1.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 17:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I suspect that the same properties that make the Dornenglanz special, are also what makes it less durable. I'm sure Spinlord is well aware of this issue, and if there had been a simple fix, they would have done it. They do have quite a few alternaitves of course, which are a little different, but I don't think any of the others suffer from durability issue like the Dornenglanz.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 00:12 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
I suspect that the same properties that make the Dornenglanz special, are also what makes it less durable. I'm sure Spinlord is well aware of this issue, and if there had been a simple fix, they would have done it. They do have quite a few alternaitves of course, which are a little different, but I don't think any of the others supper from durability issue like the Dornenglanz.

nah... i think they dont know why DG is so good, and they just tried some fixes to make it more durable
in fact.. nobody knows why DG is so good. there are some other pips with similar characteristics but none of them have that potential

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 02:41 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
DG is one of the best LPs out there with the highest potential for both chopping and blocking. Not great against spinLESS players, and can be hard to control sometimes against them, but I have always loved DG. Using it, I was at my most confident. Felt I could handle any amount of spin from loopers. And opening vs. underspin is deadly….and if I’m not playing well and needed a plan B, blocking was great.

For that reason, it was always worth it to tolerate the erratic nature of the pip’s durability. The reason I got fed up was I had 2 sheets in a row poop out on me fairly quickly, and having to get used to new sheets of DG was super annoying. If it was JUST durability, no problem! But it’s the fact that it plays very differently when new vs. when broken in that makes this even more annoying.

Still, reading this thread….I’m longing for this pip again. Haha!

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 05:19 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
DG is one of the best LPs out there with the highest potential for both chopping and blocking. Not great against spinLESS players, and can be hard to control sometimes against them, but I have always loved DG. Using it, I was at my most confident. Felt I could handle any amount of spin from loopers. And opening vs. underspin is deadly….and if I’m not playing well and needed a plan B, blocking was great.

For that reason, it was always worth it to tolerate the erratic nature of the pip’s durability. The reason I got fed up was I had 2 sheets in a row poop out on me fairly quickly, and having to get used to new sheets of DG was super annoying. If it was JUST durability, no problem! But it’s the fact that it plays very differently when new vs. when broken in that makes this even more annoying.

Still, reading this thread….I’m longing for this pip again. Haha!

i have found some solution on braking pips...
when i cut new rubber i leave rest of it. and when i loose some pips i superglue new ones :)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 06:23 

Wow! This never occurred to me! I just bought a bunch of red ones, probably a dozen or so. They play so well on the Fibercomp. However, as soon as I run out of them, I'm probably going back to the NSD with GD Dragon. Another great combo, heavy but durable. Actually, somebody told me that BTY Gionis Def plays similar to NSD and it's lighter. Anybody had any experience with it?

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 00:10 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I think durability is related to playing technique. I play 90% with my BH ox and my black Dornenglanz lasts about 20-30 tournaments (half year one time a week, more then enough for me).
But many players about my level of play told about durability problems.

I change ox rubbers when I discover a few first half-broken pips on the sweet spot, so I never got a completely broken pip.