OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 15:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
From mytt: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... N=1#969861

AUSSIE ITTF GRAND TOUR. FROM POVERTY TO PROSPERITY.

This year 2017 compared to 2016, Australia Open has amazingly increased its total money fund from 35,000$ to 384,000$, thus getting the glory of the "World's best payed table tennis event ever". Aussies have now overtook Kuwait Open 2016 (deceased this year) with its 300,000 prize fund.

I'd really admire to know what is the actual reason for such a tremendous generosity by the Aussies TT Association. Is it comes because ITTF's trying to better cultivate the sport all over the Globe, or just because of personal ambitions / vanity of some of the local moneybags? Have you any true guess?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... eMoney.pdf

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... eMoney.pdf

Has anyone seen an official announcement on this, or can confirm that it's authentic? It's it's true, it deserves to be promoted!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 06:26 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I am only aware of it from that mytt thread. When it came out I did look at the TTA web site but there was nothing. Just took a look at it again - the web site has been revamped. Nothing about it under News since November. Under events it is simply an item on the calendar with Platinum in the title.

Sunday 2 July - Friday 7 July 2017 ITTF World Tour Platinum Australian Open Brisbane Queensland, AUS

Promotion - some table tennis organisations have allegedly heard of it.

(not that I can talk - our local association championships are a very well kept secret too).

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 14:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Hopefully they'll use it to full advantage to promote the event closer in time. They should not wait too long though if they want to attract high profile international players.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 15:18 

Money talks, to the players anyway. As far as local promotion goes ...

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 18:23 

Blade: Yinhe T 11+
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z1
BH: Stiga Mantra H
I will be pleasantly surprised that this is true. However I don't think it's happening.
Having returned to TT some 4 years ago, I had been checking TT administrators in Australia and the states. I must say I am not impressed at all with their performance on publicity, promotions and information. Information on their events and organisation is hard to find, skimpy at best. I don't even know who is actually "in-charge" and who are in the management team. And I gave up looking long time ago.
Surely with such a big boost to funding, TTA website and even the news would have given some publicity, the lack of which is probably conclusive that there is no such funding.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 18:26 

As an after-thought, I went into the TTA website again. Hey they have elected a new Chairman in March this year.
Their events are only updated to May 2017. No events are shown for the rest of the year. See what I mean?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 06:27 

Yeah, I just went to the TTA web site and see what you saw. On the events page there is a link to the full calendar (not the List / Calendar thing that as you say only goes as far as May).

It is a complaint that I have had for a long time. Growing up I didn't even know there was a local competition or clubs (back then mostly sub clubs of licensed clubs). Now it is interesting when I tell people that in the past I have umpired at the Australian Open of Table Tennis.

I live in hope that things will change. At the local level I attempt to make things better in this way.

Certainly with TT organizations (from the ITTF to the club level) having a web presence it is easier to find out stuff, but for major events like the Australian Open or the Bennelong Cup much more is needed.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 09:24 

Quote:
Yeah, I just went to the TTA web site and see what you saw. On the events page there is a link to the full calendar (not the List / Calendar thing that as you say only goes as far as May).

Proof that information is not easily found. And info is skimpy at best.

Quote:
It is a complaint that I have had for a long time. Growing up I didn't even know there was a local competition or clubs (back then mostly sub clubs of licensed clubs). Now it is interesting when I tell people that in the past I have umpired at the Australian Open of Table Tennis.

At least at one time you were part of the establishment (being an umpire). You should know more intimately how the organisation is run.

Quote:
I live in hope that things will change. At the local level I attempt to make things better in this way.

Sometimes all we have is hope.

Quote:
Certainly with TT organizations (from the ITTF to the club level) having a web presence it is easier to find out stuff, but for major events like the Australian Open or the Bennelong Cup much more is needed.

Agree certainly that much more is needed.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 11:35 

The following is about the area, state, etc that I live.

At the lowest level we have clubs with a small number of tables. The concerns of those (unpaid) who run such is:
Have somewhere to play
To cover costs
Run club programs
Enter teams in the local competition

The next level up is the local association. The concerns of those (unpaid) who run such is:
Organize and run the competitions in conjunction with the clubs
Organize and run association championship tournament
To cover costs
To run their clubs

The next level up is the local state organization. The concerns of those (unpaid) who run such is:
Organize and run state level tournaments
Organize state representative teams
To cover costs

Under the local state organization is the state Umpires & Referees Association. The concerns of those (unpaid) who run such is:
Provision of referee and umpires to state level tournaments
Education of new and upgrading of existing umpires & referees
To cover costs

As you can see, the majority (totality) of work is done in an honorary, unpaid capacity.

Players begrudge paying money, at least partly because historically TT clubs were sub clubs of licensed clubs and so were heavily subsidised by the poker machine playing and alcohol consumption largely of others. What, they cry, we have to pay money every week to play socially or in competition? Also, what, they grumble, does our state affiliation fee give us?

As a result there is no money available to market the game. Get sponsors. There are sponsors for balls, so balls are supplied a little more cheaply. The state vice president circulates such ideas as utilizing older people to run stuff because ("community service") can be used by the older people while they get unemployment benefits so free labour. Last year we were inflicted with a rewards scheme under the auspices of the state, which, while giving instant rewards either in price reductions or kind were really just another spending tracker. I am not sure how much the state was going to make out of the scheme.

I am on the committee that runs the local association. At the association we have discussed World Table Tennis day on the 6th April, and encouraged each other to do something, but nothing will get done. I am one of 2 people that run table tennis at a community centre for 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon. We rely on a sign on the main road outside that is only there for the time we are open, and a free listing in our local newspaper that is not in there when we are on and in there when we are not there more often than not. We charge $5 for the 2 hours (and pay it ourselves as we are concerned with covering our costs). To the new people who turn up we are able to offer loan bats, a flyer on the clubs in the local association, free advice on buying a reasonable bat and some pointers on both how to play and the rules. To people that want to be more serious we put them in touch with a nearby local club.

I am a semi-active state level umpire. I have umpired at local tournaments, state level tournaments, the junior, senior and veterans national championships, the Australian Open a couple of times that it has been in Sydney, the Australian and Oceania Olympic Qualification tournaments for the 2012 London Olympics again in Sydney.

I see how poorly things are organized from both the inside and the outside. The main constraint that I see is money. As a result, people organizing table tennis events are used to being, in the words of my children, "povo". This means that if sponsorship is received, it is requested to cover the barest bones of what is happening. In the case of the upcoming Australian Open, there will apparently be $US384,000 on prize money for the players. I have no idea how much will go towards mainstream advertising, more than just a page or two on the TTA web site (when?) and linked to by the various state web sites. I also have no idea whether set up and tear down, ushering, emceeing etc will be professionally done or whether it will be done by volunteers as has been the case in the past in Sydney.

I and many in TT circles hold down a full time job. I spend 2.5 hours a week volunteering to provide a table tennis facility to the public and the same again per month to help run the local association. I umpire at the Bennelong Cup for a few meals. Other umpiring is either at the usual stipend (which is nowhere near what my day job pays) and meals or for meals only or only for the love of it. I really do it for the love of it, but if I as a lowly state umpire am accepted to officiate at national and effectively international level, that says something about the availability of umpires.

Next week on behalf of the local association I will be taking a half a day leave to check out a PCYC that is about to be completed in our area and talk to the manager there about table tennis usage of its facilities.

Unfortunately, I am not in marketing, nor do I play a marketer on daytime TV, and in any case there is no money for it.

I am a retriever. :)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 01:46 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
Are we all sure the figures are correct? The jump from $35, 000 to $384,000 is suspiciously close to looking like it should have been to $38,400, an increase of nearly 10%. Which somehow seems more realistic.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 01:59 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
darucla wrote:
Are we all sure the figures are correct? The jump from $35, 000 to $384,000 is suspiciously close to looking like it should have been to $38,400, an increase of nearly 10%. Which somehow seems more realistic.

+1 - looks suspicious

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 02:10 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Was this on FOX news? Breitbart?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 06:42 

The prize money has to be pretty high to rate being a "Platinum" level tournament.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 07:14 

Hi Retriever,
It's mighty good on you and your fellow volunteers to take time and effort to support the game. Many thanks to all of you for doing this often thankless tasks with plenty of criticism though!!! :clap:
Quote:
As you can see, the majority (totality) of work is done in an honorary, unpaid capacity.
However, paid / unpaid, the job needs to be done well. If the job and tasks are not handled properly or not handled at all, it will be harmful to the cause.
Quote:
Players begrudge paying money
. Not really. If players can perceive the value they do not mind paying. We realise we need to pay to participate in most indoor sports.
Quote:
TT clubs were sub clubs of licensed clubs and so were heavily subsidised by ....
Great if this is true. But I don't see many clubs, even sports clubs are promoting TT, even though it is relatively cheap to have the facilities. Perhaps this avenue should be pursued.
Quote:
there is no money available to market the game. Get sponsors
Must create a win,win,win situation for Sponsors, Players and the Association. Popularise the game, promote publicity and you get sponsors. Unfortunately we have to do the hard yards before sponsor support kicks in.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 05:17 

On the Table Tennis Australia website, in the full events diary, there is a 1 liner on the Aussie Open. The event is not mentioned in NEWS, EVENTS (except the 1 liner which is difficult to find) or any of the tags.
The 1 liner reads:
2017 ITTF World Tour Platinum Australian Open Starts July 2, Ends July 7 in Brisbane QLD AUS.
That's it. Nothing about who will be playing, the prize money, not even the location of the playing venue and it's only 3 months away.