OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: spectol red
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 09:09 

finally i tried twice a new spectol red 2.1 mm in fh on dhs cw-e 3 wood ply and 2 carbon blade. my first impressions:fast very fast,remind me the speed of andro hexer pips + even faster(more also than donic baxter f1). the sponge is firm (mark 40°) but i feel soft than flarestorm the rubber i used for 8 years. also i feel less spinny than flarestorm. i think is like regular spectol whith booster. i need more practice for dominate it since i am very accustomed to flarestorm. i hope i have helped those interested in that rubber.

Post subject: Re: spectol red
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 10:19 

Blade: Tibhar E. Lebesson
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
Thanks. Any issues with smash hits?

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 10:14 

not at all. it is a bazooka for smashing.my issues with that rubber for now are serves and pushes because my former rubber(flarestorm 2,5mm) was spinnier.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 17:48 

Blade: Tibhar E. Lebesson
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
One more question: are u a penholder or shakehander?

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 04:33 

shakehander

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 09:30 

Blade: Clipper CR WRB
FH: Spectol 21 MAX
BH: Evolution EL-P
dariowai wrote:
finally i tried twice a new spectol red 2.1 mm in fh on dhs cw-e 3 wood ply and 2 carbon blade. my first impressions:fast very fast,remind me the speed of andro hexer pips + even faster(more also than donic baxter f1). the sponge is firm (mark 40°) but i feel soft than flarestorm the rubber i used for 8 years. also i feel less spinny than flarestorm. i think is like regular spectol whith booster. i need more practice for dominate it since i am very accustomed to flarestorm. i hope i have helped those interested in that rubber.

Way different than reg. spectol with booster.. reg. spectol with booster has a waay softer sponge, changes ball feel and spin quite a bit. Spectol Red plays more like a slightly less springy, less spinny, more controllable version of Joola Express Ultra or maaybbee like a less 'poppy' version of Hexer Pips.. still in a category of its own though.

I've never tried Spectol Red with booster.. but I bet it would play a lot better.. the sponge has a really nice semi-firm feel, but not enough pop to make enough spin, esp. cause the topsheet of Spectol is pretty unspinny. Gonna have to buy some Red and Blue at some point n test em out with Seamoon...

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 13:40 

i never played with regular spectol with booster.
I'm still getting used to spectol red, i played a veteran tournament and i had problems with returns because my former rubber(flarestorm) is spinnier and also is less springer than spectol red,but when i smashed my opponents had troubles returning my shot.in 10 days i will play a tournament whit youger people so i ll see how to handle the speed of their attacks.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 03:00 
Super User

I have a sheet of Spectol Red I'm giving another go in. 2.0 thickness.

I am still adjusting to it but that's only because I was/am use to a very different type of pip.

I was previously using 802-40 on a 2.0 air super soft 30 deg sponge. So basically spiny pip top. Soft sponge for the ball to soak into. You can't get much more spin oriented than this for pips.

However it was slow IMO. Even on my penhold clipper classic.

Spectol Red is a classic type of pip. It's not a spin pip.

This is a new pip designed for the plastic ball era and the sponge is tuned. Boy is it fast. I mean really fast. Be prepared to adjust your technique otherwise you'll hit a lot of balls off the table & long.

That being said, I'm trying it again and it's feels nice. Feels consistent. It's certainly faster than a lot of inverted non-tuned rubbers I've tried in the past.

the red sponge on the back said BZ 44 (and them some Chinese writing of which I have no idea what it means)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 11:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Pictures not showing suds79 :(

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 23:41 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Pictures not showing suds79 :(

:) Sorry.

But you can check one of my recent matches here.

After going back & forth, I've ultimately setteled on the short pips/long pips combo... I just don't loop that well with inverted penhold.

I was playing 802-40 at the time of this video.

Did a comparison of TSP Spectol Red on that tuned I'm assuming 44 deg sponge vs 802 on the standard 35 deg 2.0 sponge. The ball breaks & curves more definitely with the 802. The pips on 802 are larger than Spectol and the sponge is softer so I'm assuming ever so slightly spinnier. Given I want to attack & produce and unusual ball for the opponent than what they are use to, I think the more straight line speed of r Spectol Red will suit me better.

It's certainly more powerful. You can feel the spring.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 12:24 

i played last sunday a tournament against youngers than me ,players i use to win,also was my last tournament with spectol red.my summaries:serves with few spin(i play almost 20 years with short pips),pushes does not break by the spin and allows to attack them,no control on blocks,so maybe against veterans who attacks not often and no much power could be use(my experience)but against young and powerfull attackers no way.in short ,i do not recommend it at all.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 23:22 
Super User

dariowai wrote:
i played last sunday a tournament against youngers than me ,players i use to win,also was my last tournament with spectol red.my summaries:serves with few spin(i play almost 20 years with short pips),pushes does not break by the spin and allows to attack them,no control on blocks,so maybe against veterans who attacks not often and no much power could be use(my experience)but against young and powerfull attackers no way.in short ,i do not recommend it at all.

After two good attempts with Spectol Red, I have finally come to the conclusion that I agree in that it's not my type of short pip.

I don't think it's the sponge. If you want fast, this rubber will do the trick. I just don't think I like TSP Spectol. In any sponge. If someone started out playing short pips, they probably could adapt to this and be really good.

But before I played penhold, back in the day i use to play shakehand inverted. I've also played inverted with penhold for some time also, although my FH is better with short pips. That being said, I really prefer slightly spinnier pips topsheet in 802 or 802-40. They're both significantly larger than the pips of Spectol and IMO are easier to attack with.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 09:19 

i do use tsp spectol 21 in my bh.great blocking rubber (also regular spectol). 802 is slow for my play,802-40 is better spinnier and faster but i have trouble to find it with good and hard sponge

PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 03:59 
Super User

suds79 wrote:
I have a sheet of Spectol Red I'm giving another go in. 2.0 thickness.

I am still adjusting to it but that's only because I was/am use to a very different type of pip.

I was previously using 802-40 on a 2.0 air super soft 30 deg sponge. So basically spiny pip top. Soft sponge for the ball to soak into. You can't get much more spin oriented than this for pips.

However it was slow IMO. Even on my penhold clipper classic.

Spectol Red is a classic type of pip. It's not a spin pip.

This is a new pip designed for the plastic ball era and the sponge is tuned. Boy is it fast. I mean really fast. Be prepared to adjust your technique otherwise you'll hit a lot of balls off the table & long.

That being said, I'm trying it again and it's feels nice. Feels consistent. It's certainly faster than a lot of inverted non-tuned rubbers I've tried in the past.

the red sponge on the back said BZ 44 (and them some Chinese writing of which I have no idea what it means)

why do you think spectol red is a clasical pip? what other pip are you trying?

PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 04:17 
Super User

Maybe you missed it in my post there. I was playing with 802-40 which is a more spiny pip.

Spectol absolute is a more classic hitting not as spiny pip for sure. The size of the pips are significantly smaller than 802-40 or even 802.

I kinda liked the spectol Red sponge. That baby had all the speed one could ever want. But I really did not like that topsheet. All that speed with that low of spin just make it too hard to control for me.

I've since gone back to what I'm more comfortable with which is 802-40 on a non-tuned 35 deg sponge in 1.8 and am playing better ever since then.

My local supplier only offers 802-40 in 1.8 or max which seems a little odd for me. Ideally i was looking for 2.0 but opted for the 1.8. I might try the max sometime. I don't know yet.

But the 802 & 802-40 topsheets are my personal favorites for short pip topsheets. Just perfect IMO.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!