OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 18:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Agreed Cobalt, wasn't trying to say ratings are meaningless. They are essential. As you say, without them, it'd be chaos. I always end up playing vastly underrated people, and so without getting rating points from my pennant end up underrated myself. Which is why I say you never really know what to expect from someone you don't know based on their rating. You can only go by what they do on the table, and knowing within yourself that you played above or below your normal. I played FZambetta's mate who was rated about 850, but well underrated I'd say. I beat him in 3, but I'd hurt my knee in the prior match, so I wasn't playing my normal standard. But having said that, he handled the parts of my game that don't rely on movement better than most 200-300 points above him would. Mind you, he did have his paid coach giving him pointers after each set :devil: I asked FZambetta how his friend compared to you from the one match he'd played with you (not a definitive conclusion of course). He said he thought his friend was more consistent and had a tighter loop, which I'd agree from seeing him and your vids. He said your loops he found tricky for the variation in arc and depth. Of course, its still the opinion of someone rated under 1000 who is something of a novice too. So ratings can give you an indication of someone's prowess, but you're never going to truly know until you experience their game (and preferably on several occasions), IMO.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 19:31 
I am Legend
I am Legend

QLD have been using RC for years, and I've always felt that they were reasonably accurate as tournament ratings, provided you have enough tournaments under your belt (ie, your point spread is narrow enough). They are usually a pretty good guide to figure out where you sit against any given player of any style.

I don't believe that club fixtures/pennants or similar should get entered - because you know each others game well, and can bring a rating up sort of artificially.

The guy that was inserted at 230 points - ratingscentral usually sorts itself out pretty well, and unfortunately the site seems to be broken for me right now so I can't have another look at the wins/losses at the ballarat vets. It could have been an entirely warranted -50 points on your behalf reb. Strength over certain styles and so on :lol:

I looked again. His final rating looks entirely warranted.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 22:22 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Agreed Cobalt, wasn't trying to say ratings are meaningless. They are essential. As you say, without them, it'd be chaos. I always end up playing vastly underrated people, and so without getting rating points from my pennant end up underrated myself. Which is why I say you never really know what to expect from someone you don't know based on their rating. You can only go by what they do on the table, and knowing within yourself that you played above or below your normal. I played FZambetta's mate who was rated about 850, but well underrated I'd say. I beat him in 3, but I'd hurt my knee in the prior match, so I wasn't playing my normal standard. But having said that, he handled the parts of my game that don't rely on movement better than most 200-300 points above him would. Mind you, he did have his paid coach giving him pointers after each set :devil: I asked FZambetta how his friend compared to you from the one match he'd played with you (not a definitive conclusion of course). He said he thought his friend was more consistent and had a tighter loop, which I'd agree from seeing him and your vids. He said your loops he found tricky for the variation in arc and depth. Of course, its still the opinion of someone rated under 1000 who is something of a novice too. So ratings can give you an indication of someone's prowess, but you're never going to truly know until you experience their game (and preferably on several occasions), IMO.

I know fz mate as they played doubles together. Can't really remember how he played but remember that I was really disappointed to lose that one.

Would love another crack at fz again watched that match again today, well sort of, half the time I was shutting my eyes or holding my head in my hands[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 17:09 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Reviving this thread.

Any of you guys going to Ballarat Vets in May. I'm definitely pencilled in for this one.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 18:03 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

If I pull up ok after Auckland there is a good chance I will go.

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 23:14 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Looks like I'm heading over. Will play singles only unless anyone wants a partner for O30 or O40 doubles. I'm rated 870 ish.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 02:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Great that you are going Cobalt. Finally a chance to meet and have a hit. :up:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 10:51 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Entry form sent today. :up: :up:

If you see me, come and say G'day. I'll be the only person with a blue Mt Gambier TT shirt on. Playing Div3, Div4, O30, O40.

Hoping to take a scalp as I need a few extra points as our Country Carnvial team is selected the week after and I'm about 20 points outside the A team and I feel we have a decent shot at winning this year.

PostPosted: 12 May 2017, 14:49 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Cobalt wrote:
Entry form sent today. :up: :up:

If you see me, come and say G'day. I'll be the only person with a blue Mt Gambier TT shirt on. Playing Div3, Div4, O30, O40.

Hoping to take a scalp as I need a few extra points as our Country Carnvial team is selected the week after and I'm about 20 points outside the A team and I feel we have a decent shot at winning this year.

Well I'll be in O40's and Div 3, do there is some chance we could meet in a match. Statistically the odds are slightly against it probably, although in Div 3 I'd probably be about no. 3 seed...so I might have someone of your rating put with me in round 1 :devil: :lol:

PostPosted: 12 May 2017, 20:42 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Wouldn't bother me at all. Someone's going to beat me, might as well be you.

PostPosted: 15 May 2017, 14:51 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Cobalt wrote:
Wouldn't bother me at all. Someone's going to beat me, might as well be you.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 21 May 2017, 21:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well I finally met up with Cobalt today. Felt like meeting someone I already knew well...a bit like when I met Haggisv. We did get to have a brief hit, but didn't find time for a game. I had a full on day of tournament matches, and Cobalt had quite a few himself. I did umpire one of Cobalt's matches, unfortunately it was one of his losing ones. I do know though that Cobalt had one BIG win today against a player from my club who I have lost to the last couple of times I played him. I didn't see the match, but I know the player was over 200 rating points above Cobalt. I don't know how the match went, but I'd like to see it. I know Cobalt video'ed some of his matches today...did you get that one Cobalt?

I see your rating is almost 950 after today. I gained 24 points today, even after losing quite a few points to my only loss for the day to someone just above my rating. Now I'm just shy of 1280. Was a good day but tiring...so may write some more in coming days.

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 20:36 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Was a good tournament for me gaining gaining 40 pts whilst beating 3 players higher than me. Had a hit with Reb but actually didn't see him play but he can obviously handle himself well. Didn't video my big win, 250pts above me and will give a more detailed report on my blog.

Edit: I did see Reb play, I umpired it. :P Was against a very good player though so didn't see him at his best.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 08:16 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

This weekend is the Ballarat Junior/Senior and I'm heading over and for the first time will have a club mate with me. He's about 1,300 but perhaps a little underated so looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Hope to see a few forum members there. If you see someone in a Mt Gambier shirt, say Gday.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 20:38 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Had a decent day. Had my first ever individual collect by coming 2nd in div 4. That's under 1000 pts. I'm 920, beaten by 980 in 4 but had my chance.

Beat one person a bit above my level and didn't lose to anyone lower so hope to get a handful of points.

Not sure if playing veterans later in year. Hope to but a lot on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!