OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 12:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What sort of rubber protector sheets do you use? I want to try this as well, but I wonder if the Ziploc bags I use are too thick. I suppose you want the water to evaporate THROUGH the plastic. Yes, this does happen, the thinner the plastic, the quicker the water moves through it. Water stored in plastic bottles will diffuse through the plastic, you'll notice this over a couple years.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 16:53 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
I am using cut-outs of the plastic wrapper sheet that comes with rubbers packaged inside :lol:

Most definitely the plastic is very thin hence my re-purposing it as a rubber protector sheet for tacky rubbers.

Nothing special to my knowledge :-D How is this possible ??? :P :?: :D

The extra tackiness has made it possible to loop a lot more easier and with more power, more than I can generate :-D

I wonder if alcohol or acetone in between the sheet will cause a more pronounced effect ? Since the volatility of those liquids is far higher than water.

Or it might be natural for YRD to become tacky over 4 - 6 months ? :lol: and there isn't anything special in the water :rofl:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 17:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Or it might spoil it altogether.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 19:50 

does anyone has played the stiga genesis M ? And can compare it to the rising dragon?

what rubber has the tackier surface? what rubber plays more like a original, modern chinese rubber like the DHS neos?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 02:50 
Super User

cpen74 wrote:
does anyone has played the stiga genesis M ? And can compare it to the rising dragon?

what rubber has the tackier surface? what rubber plays more like a original, modern chinese rubber like the DHS neos?

I dont think YRD can be a direct drop-in replacement for H3 Neo. Each player is going to notice differences and will have to adjust for it.

I can't comment on the Stiga Genesis as I haven't tried it. Someone will probably reply :-)

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 17:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I finally had a chance to try this rubber in 2.0mm black, on a TSP Trinity carbon blade.
It is indeed a little tacky, and great for serves and spin.
However on this combination it neither had the spin nor the topspeed of the Victas 401 (also 2.0mm black), which surprised me a little as I thought this rubber would be faster.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 22:07 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
haggisv wrote:
I finally had a chance to try this rubber in 2.0mm black, on a TSP Trinity carbon blade.
However on this combination it neither had the spin nor the topspeed of the Victas 401 (also 2.0mm black), which surprised me a little as I thought this rubber would be faster.

A little Falco long made the Rising Dragon better but still nothing special. I actually boosted an old sheet of 401 2,0 mm once and that raised the speed a lot. But I guess many of the gold things with 401 will be missed (I only tried the boosted version a couple of minutes against a robot, mostly offensive strokes).

I still use YRD on my slow and vibrating DMS Cubixx blade. There it works nice and the low throw does not bother me as it did on my Carbonado-blade.

It generates some spin but it tries to take the best of two worlds, but ends up with nothing good but a nice modern allround rubber with some grip but no huge spin (I compare to H8 and also Victas V15).

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 03:55 
Super User

Well I just reglued up my YRD after resting it for a week after a single application of Falco. It still was pretty domed :?: Not sure if I should have as I already feel YRD is too fast :-P cant wait to take it for a spin at the club :-D

Update: Boosting is useless and has almost no effect ! :lol: I am really in love with this rubber now !

YRD is still a meh, all-round rubber with Yasaka's famously consistent QC :-) and that is why for now I will continue with this rubber for the foreseeable future :lol: My beginner style play really has improved and I am able to accurately predict and analyse the ball+rubber+stroke+contact based on my plethora of mistakes :rofl: Now I know for sure it is MY FAULT that I messed up the play. :-) Not even an inch/millimetre problem with equipment :-)

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

Last edited by man_iii on 20 Mar 2017, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 03:03 
Super User

I can confirm that despite the medium-taco state of the rubbers, both YRD Max Red/Black became just slightly softer and not much difference to their original state. It is now slightly easier to do mechanical spin with less effort and close to the table spin with the tacky topsheet. Booster used is Falco Tempo ( green label and not the long yellow version). No difference in any of the looping or hitting or tackiness+grippy. The one place boosting really worked on improving is the chopping game ! Now the chops have a ton of control. :lol: :clap: Previously I mentioned that YRD suffered a little in the chops and now it is fixed.

But here is the thing. YRD still has moisture problems. You can't get it wet even a little bit. Humidity will become a challenge as summer kicks into a full-blown heat-wave. So very important to have a dry towel or cloth to wipe off even a trace of moisture.

Anyone who likes to play Chinese-style strokes and keep the blade a little bit more open than closed will like these rubbers at the very least for how All-round they behave.

Boosting is a pointless endeavour on these rubbers. Yes you will stretch the topsheet and make the sponge softer.

r/ : RANT MODE ON: Ignore if you hate this type of rantings and ravings of loonies like myself :-D

Boost all you like but the expected amount of changes will be minimal to none. So these rubbers are the best kind of tournament legal rubbers! If everyone was forced to use a particular type of rubber that will not react to boosting but still maintain high-quality while being a non-tensor then you can GUARANTEE with no doping unboosted equal and fair equipment behaviour. Again problem is every player is going to have different preferences and game styles :lol: and you can't guarantee anything :-) But it would be nice if ITTF could mandate a "non-reactive to boosting" rubbers by testing it out on EVERY rubber product and booster out there by having a stricter verification process or category of competition. That way boosting / doped players will play against similar level players while those without sponsors can play non-doped unboosted category which can have equal reward but harsher penalties of punishment if caught like a perma-ban from playing TT ever! :rofl: just kidding about the perma-ban :-)

ITTF by recognizing that doping boosting equipment is virtually undetectable in matches could take steps to reduce unfair advantage or privilege given to the richer players.

/r

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 20:55 

Blade: Avalox C555 PH
FH: FS 802-1 1,8 mm
BH: Mark V GPS 1,8 mm
looking for an alternative to my black Skyline TG2N.
goal is slight more dynamic without using a booster.
could anyone tell me if a black Shinging Dragon (seems to be more tacky than the Rising Dragon) could be an alternative?

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 21:40 
Super User

AndiHL wrote:
looking for an alternative to my black Skyline TG2N.
goal is slight more dynamic without using a booster.
could anyone tell me if a black Shinging Dragon (seems to be more tacky than the Rising Dragon) could be an alternative?

TG3-60 Mid-Hard or Soft will be more to your preference.

Rising Dragon is only SLIGHTLY tacky and MORE Euro grippy rubber. It doesn't have any outstanding characteristics so not a good replacement for TG2 Neo.

Maybe someone who has tried Yasaka Shining Dragon can reply here or you can post that in a separate thread ? Seeing this thread is mainly about Yasaka Rising Dragon.

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 16:18 
Super User

Long term YRD Update: YRD rubbers have stood the test of time! In my hands rubbers wont stay on my blade more than 4 months tops. This time round its been 1.5 years ! I still haven't had the heart to change it out ! But alas, wear and tear will have its way so some updates :-D :lol:

Finally ! I changed the YRD sheets on my racket. Right now I have swapped the Shining Dragon from the backup blade to my competitive blade. And moved the YRD to my 3rd backup blade :lol: In doing so following observations.

1. YRD MAX Black rubber and Red rubber were both boosted with 2 layers of Falco Tempo booster. Neither rubber improved or got doped enhanced with ANY effect. Non-reactive to boosting.

2. YRD Black rubber remains almost similar to its original condition, some minimal dulling of the topsheet and sponge looking intact.

3. YRD Red rubber had some sponge-topsheet separation where the RPB fingers are resting constantly causing the sponge to tear out 2 small chunks at the the bottom logo area.

YRD Red rubber is the softer of the 2 rubbers. The YRD Black rubber suffered no defects whatsoever.

4. The Spin and Speed and Control and Throw and Tacky and Grippy characteristics of BOTH YRD rubbers remains the same !!! :rock: :swear: :@ I can't believe this rubber is this mediocre and this high quality !!!!! :clap:

I NEVER FELT THE NEED TO EJ out on my competition setup EVER OR EVEN NOW !

I have another pair of YRD's bought but for now I will see if the newer YSD ( Yasaka Shining Dragon ) lives up to the Yasaka QC name ! YSD is the classic-Chinese rubber and NO CATAPULT NO WEIRD THROW NO HIGH-SPEED NO SUPER-SPIN. :lol: Let me see if I can carry on playing with this one just as long :lol:

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 12:59 

Blade: Xiom Fuga
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft
@ leatherback - Is there any chance that you will give the "Shining Dragon" rubber a try? I'm interested in reading your perspective on it.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 07:44 

haggisv wrote:

Is the v 401 tacky? I see it coming up in tacky euro or hybrid threads. Or is it there because of the hard sponge Chinese type rubber comparisons or Chinese type style that’s required. Like a tibhar mxs, Or xiom china ( I think that what it’s called) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 06:45 

Nice thread lots of good comments. My additional 2 cent. For context can’t claim a true rating. from players that I play regularly that activity keep there rating I often hear a estimated mid 1400’s. With Inconsistency being key keeping me below or out of the 1500’s. So for what it’s worth.

I tried out yrd and liked it quite a bit. ive had and used at least three different sheets. At the time I had only used Chinese rubbers on my forehand. All h3 types but neo the most, skyline tg2 neo, h3-50, Some dawie ones, skyline 360, different 999 types and sponges and h8. .

Relative opinion for sure here but I found yrd quite spiny while having plenty of speed. But then again I don’t think something like a h3 is slow either when hit properly. For my swing contact and style of play I would not mind it if yrd had a bit of a higher throw for safety sake but not a huge deal here. I Liked it’s play in the short game, not quite as much as h3 in general and for very short returns but not far off. it’s better than the tibhar ELS I’m playing now on my main blade. I feel like I can be more aggressive, with less Errant pushes with yrd. My main point I will just say it seemed very flexible. I did not feel like I needed to make any big adjustments when doing my normal swing with Chinese rubbers. And If I’m honest the reason why I changed away from Chinese is because I found myself not being able to always execute The proper mechanics something like a h3 requires to get the best results when I found myself playing much better more experienced players. When playing players around my lel it was never a problem, but when I started seeing more and more players who are just better more experienced possessing truly great ball quality, that very there spin, with good footwork etc, I had to face the facts I don’t get to train enough to get the most out of typical Chinese style rubbers. So I wanted something that could still get a decent shot over using a smaller swing if I need to. YRD fit the bill nicely here. I found it to still possessing enough of the tacky qualities while also having just enough more easily accessible speed when using a shorter swing, or bale you out if you need it. I would call it a jack of all trades doing several things good but, I think that would be underselling it a bit. There are always tradeoffs but for certain styles of play it’s a great option.

A few things I noticed and I wondered of anyone else felt this. on at least one of my sheets maybe two it felt like the tacky wore off kind of quick, well before the top sheet and sponge. Interesting to hear about water restoring the tackiness back for someone. I have had the tacky come back to h3 before after cleaning with water and resting with plastic. And if you want a bit more one of the things I like about h3’s 999 and h8 top sheets is how it responds to the olive of oil trick to restore the tacky. FYI This did not work for me at all with rising dragon. tried it on the most used sheet at a point and I mean 0 effect, except for maybe a negative one until all traces were gone. I will also confirm it’s a really durable top sheet and sponge. Looked at them the other day and they still looked good which is great considering how much I played with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next