OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 11:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Danthespearton wrote:
NONONONO I NEVER SHOULD HAVE WATCHED THAT VID YOU POSTED i actually got mentally scarred, im talking about the anime developed by Massaki yu-something, the one where the main characters are 2 best friends; a chopper in glasses named Tsukimoto (aka Smile) and a bowl-headed jpen hitter named Hoshino (aka Peco), the art is kinda choppy for my taste (get it, choppy? :P ) but otherwise, very good. The character development is beautiful too, and all the people who managed to watch the whole thing have said they absolutely loved it.

I'll have to try find that myself - it sounds like the same story as a live action movie I came across some years back. Same deal, a chopper and his friend. And then this Chinese kid transfers to the school. There have been a lot of live action adaptations of anime/manga recently, but it sounds like this one came out the other way (live action first). By the way, try http://nyaa.se/ for "fansubs".

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 11:33 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
iskandar taib wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:
NONONONO I NEVER SHOULD HAVE WATCHED THAT VID YOU POSTED i actually got mentally scarred, im talking about the anime developed by Massaki yu-something, the one where the main characters are 2 best friends; a chopper in glasses named Tsukimoto (aka Smile) and a bowl-headed jpen hitter named Hoshino (aka Peco), the art is kinda choppy for my taste (get it, choppy? :P ) but otherwise, very good. The character development is beautiful too, and all the people who managed to watch the whole thing have said they absolutely loved it.

I'll have to try find that myself - it sounds like the same story as a live action movie I came across some years back. Same deal, a chopper and his friend. And then this Chinese kid transfers to the school. There have been a lot of live action adaptations of anime/manga recently, but it sounds like this one came out the other way (live action first). By the way, try http://nyaa.se/ for "fansubs".

Iskandar

Haha, it IS a good anime, assuming you find the one im talking about. The art style is very different from typical animes, but that's because it is staying true to the art style of the manga. Btw, I found out that director's proper name is actually Masaaki Yuasa. You literally just have to search up "Ping Pong The Animation" in the Youtube search bar, and the first episode is called "The Wind Makes It Too Hard To Hear." The thumbnail should show a face with glasses on the top-half of the thumbnail and a face with split hair on the bottom half.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 17:23 

Thank you for the replies, guys!

Revelation took on a deeper meaning as I tried to go back to shakehand grip this past September. Since penhold pips forces you to play close to table, I found my shakehand gameplay become faster and more accurate. I have been playing shakehand looper before, 3 steps away from the table, always waiting for the ball to drop before I hit it and that slight late timing unfortunately prepares the competition for my next ball. Shifting to penhold changed all that.

Now, going back to shakehand again, I know that I can hit early the return of a loop that I just did, opening my blade vertical and hitting in a mostly horizontal motion (like in pips out play because I'm always near the table now). Blocking has also improved 105%! It amazes me that my penhold style blocks translated well to forehand. Maybe it's because of my proximity to the table, makes me react quicker and anticipate faster .

I still play with short pips(802) and also have learned twiddling, which added another dimension to my playing. Young college and kids don't like to play(after a set or two) with me upon learning I have pips. They get confused returning a spinny loop one moment and then a "lawa"(no spin) ball next, all from the backhand (or forehand). Twiddling rocks! Of course, I can't still beat some but do manage to eke out a couple of won sets in our usual games.

I just want to say that I play better shakehand now that I learned close to table battle when I tried to play like He Zhi Wen :)

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

All decked with DHS H3Neo
and Yinhe Moon! I'm cured from low-level EJ'ying!

On to the next TT journey!

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 12:48 

Just an update.

My brother gave me a hobby DHS penhold paddle (4006) to which I glued an 0x 755(FH) and an old DHS H2(BH). To my surprise I learned how to do chop blocks with the 755 in a session with a highschool player who can do consistent topspin loops. It's a win-win situation for both of us - I learn to block with LP and he learns looping back the backspin created. He can only go as far as 4 returns and when he pushes the 5th, I attack with an LP loop. Whoooa! We were surprised an LP can do loops! He said the norm with LPs in the district, provincial and the National comps that he's been in was for SERVICE RETURNS and rarely, if not never, used for attack, let alone used in the FH.

Another player, a speedy hitter and a college varsity player, can only loop once and can't loop back the second chopblocked return. Now he found out he's been looping wrong (can't return inverted pushes consistently).

With this new found stroke, I guess I will be finding myself useful comes February when the kids will again train for the Provincial and national competitions. :lol: Our boss has been kind enough to offer our little covered multipurpose building (enough for 3 tables) for their 2 to 3X a year intensive training.

Again, I don't get fatigued excessively with this kind of play. Enjoy!

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 03:06 
Super User

How are you doing these days?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2017, 14:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah...

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Ping-Pong-DVD-BD-Hyb

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 00:13 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:

xD Watch it! I guarantee that the only thing you're going to even have a chance of hating is the art style. The plot and character development is excellent.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 03:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I must admit.. those character designs look.. weird. :lol:

Somewhere on my hard drives I have the live-action version (it came out many years ago).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 03:22 

Blade: Prasidha Premade CPEN
FH: Globe 999 Commercial
BH: Moon
iskandar taib wrote:
Ah...
Iskandar

I remember this manga was still using the 21 rule set. And Jpen still wasn't a joke when this was written.

But this Manga decides to do one thing right. The main character ALREADY had the skills to be champ but was just so used to to sandbagging (When a player in any game chooses on purpose to not play their best.) and lost so many games to his peers that he got conditioned to losing.

Instead of your typical anime protagonist who just one day discovers he is for some strange reason naturally amazing at a sport (or chess, or martial arts, lifting weights, killing monsters, operating mechas, playing cards, capturing monsters, playing a musical instrument, drawing manga...) and goes on to dominate in whatever field he chooses disregarding the YEARS of training it took for his opponents to get there...

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 03:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I remember in the live action movie the main protagonist was a CHOPPER and therefore played shakehands. Don't know about the manga, this is the anime TV series (which came out long after the movie did).

Lots and lots of people in Japan and Korea still play Japanese Penhold. Probably most common among those 35 years and older.

By the way, there are still lots of people here who play to 21 points. Apparently news filters down very slowly to the lower echelons... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 11:57 
Super User

You guys are both right and wrong about the main character... Yes, the chopper was a main character.
So was the J-Pen player :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know about the manga or the live-action movie, but in the anime, they are both the main characters; they are childhood friends who both shared a love of TT.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 14:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah.. that must've been the friend who was in tears on the subway.. :lol:

I watched the first 20 minutes or so of the movie, and was "going to finish it later" but never got around to it... :lol: Will have to watch it again someday (I think I know where I put it).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017, 02:25 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
:lol: :lol: :lol:

and

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018, 15:13 

Please don't kill me.. Now that I can buy blades in Aliexpress and Ebay, I've gone back to penhold again :lol:

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018, 19:43 

Blade: Darker Speed90 CP
FH: Prov H3
BH: Andro Beat
j2sip wrote:
Please don't kill me.. Now that I can buy blades in Aliexpress and Ebay, I've gone back to penhold again :lol:
Wow I didn't realize the thread has been dead for so long

Passionate about TT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next