OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 05:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
 Post subject: Re: a BRS blog
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 11:51 
Super User

Thanks NL, wilkinru, Retriever, pgpg. Those are all good suggestions and I appreciate your input. Developing more/better set plays makes sense to me. And per wilkinru's suggestion I'm going to test some changes to my practice routines.

I'll write a year in review post in December, that should be enough time to evaluate the results.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 19:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Ovtcharov True Carbon FL
FH: Genius Max B
BH: Genius Max R
pgpg wrote:
* Tactical combos, on the other hand - 'serve short to FH, push return long to deep BH' are more useful than purely technical 'swing thoughts'. These do not need to be on the instinctive level, since you have more time, I suspect. They also win points. IIRC both Der_Echte and NextLevel at some point tried to show me a couple of simple combos that help if not win point outright then at least take control of it. I wish I paid more attention - I think this is what separates better players from good ones, once you can put ball on the table reasonably well.

I mean, you don't get to 1800 USATT without learning and absorbing some patterns, even if subconsciously.

But to ram home the point, rather than write on endlessly, I will post a video of Larry Bavly's analysis of a match he played with Rich DeWitt. In it, you see the kind of thing that many players refuse to work on for a variety of reasons. But the problem is that if you don't start early as an adult learner, it is hard to get there as patterns become ingrained. But you just try your best to do what you can and against certain players, always work on your touch. I have been playing more games/matches as a dead ball/slow spin/pick looping player when facing lower rated players to work on my versatility and ball control, especially away from the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmlUbZewC4

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 01:34 
Super User

Blade: OSP Virtuoso +
FH: Xiom Ω V Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω V Asia Max
One thing not on your list is 'forcing your opponent to move'. Players under 1900 level tend to be too obvious when it comes to rally exchanges. Perhaps it's because a large part of training tends to be copious amounts of FH-FH and BH-BH drills in an attempt to develop consistency. It becomes ingrained to hit the ball into your opponent's power zones. So you're basically giving your opponent a ball that he's been trained to return consistently. So what can we do about that? Drill and/or play practice matches where the focus is to force your opponent to move. Forcing your opponent to move increases the chances of you getting a loose ball, which you can then put away for a winner. It's not as easy as it sounds and it takes a long time to develop the ability to do it subconsciously. But once you develop that ability, it can raise your game a level or more.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 02:13 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Ovtcharov True Carbon FL
FH: Genius Max B
BH: Genius Max R
GMan4911 wrote:
One thing not on your list is 'forcing your opponent to move'. Players under 1900 level tend to be too obvious when it comes to rally exchanges. Perhaps it's because a large part of training tends to be copious amounts of FH-FH and BH-BH drills in an attempt to develop consistency. It becomes ingrained to hit the ball into your opponent's power zones. So you're basically giving your opponent a ball that he's been trained to return consistently. So what can we do about that? Drill and/or play practice matches where the focus is to force your opponent to move. Forcing your opponent to move increases the chances of you getting a loose ball, which you can then put away for a winner. It's not as easy as it sounds and it takes a long time to develop the ability to do it subconsciously. But once you develop that ability, it can raise your game a level or more.

Brilliant. In fact, one underappreciated aspect of what you wrote is that hitting the ball as hard as you can (which is largely what BRS does if you play him) is not necessarily the best way to move the opponent. Forcing in and out movement by dropping the ball short or getting wider angles with more side spin or lower paced topspins or flat hits directed at the short parts of the table (letting the ball break the sidelines) are often more effective. Sometimes playing balls that force the opponent to get into position and then generate pace is better than hitting a ball that will come back if they touch it properly.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 09:20 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Appelgren AllplayV1
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Xiom Vega Europe DF
HI BRS, I watched the video that you posted on the TT Edge thread but didn't want to comment there as not a platinum member. I have a similar problem to you when the ball is hit wide to my forehand, I find myself jumping then being a sitting duck for the next shot.

As I suffer from the same, I'm wondering if its as much as wide forehand issue as what it is a serve recovery issue. If you had all the time in the world and were settled, would you have played the shot any different and had better recovery? Note that its not really even that wide, just down the sideline.

Also it appears as though both times you hit the ball right in his blocking sweet spot so also wondering where would be the best place to hit the ball if out of position or off balance to give the best chance of staying in the point. I'm guessing that down the line might be best if can hit the winner otherwise crosscourt breaking the sideline to reduce the options of the return and likely have it coming back towards us?? Not sure.

Hope you don't mind me posting here. All the best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42