OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 19:57 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
What is exactly wrong with blocking with a bit of topspin, except that it may drive nuts your training partner(s) during the drills?

Well, kick blocking is what it is, if you can take the risk to reward, good for you. But what I tell my students is that flat ness has direction, and spin generates arc. If you have good direction on your flat hit pr blpck, you have good control. If you have good spin on your shot/loop, you have good control because the spin will make the ball dip. If you have a lifting block, you don't get good control because you are blocking in a direction that is not where you want the ball to go. And you don't get good spin because you aren't able to topspin the ball hard. So you lack directional control and spin. You may make the shot in practice under controlled conditions but it will get riskier and riskier when dealing with spin levels and strokes you do not know.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 20:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
What is exactly wrong with blocking with a bit of topspin, except that it may drive nuts your training partner(s) during the drills?

If you can't almost block flat, you can't block against a player looping beyond a certain spin threshold. You'll miss the end of the table too often. I don't ever remember losing to someone who was blocking with topspin in the warm-up and I have played a lot of matches over a 35 period. .

It's not just annoying for your training partner. It means you have a serious problem and your potential is capped. The best players are all exceptionally easy to train against and warm up against. They hit the ball so "clean" that you feel like you can't miss against them. If I'm coaching someone and I can't easily loop 10 balls in a row against their block, I know I need to teach them how to block better. I know it sounds like I have a problem in this example, but I can assure you it's the player who has the problem.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 20:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Well, kick blocking is what it is, if you can take the risk to reward, good for you. But what I tell my students is that flat ness has direction, and spin generates arc. If you have good direction on your flat hit pr blpck, you have good control. If you have good spin on your shot/loop, you have good control because the spin will make the ball dip. If you have a lifting block, you don't get good control because you are blocking in a direction that is not where you want the ball to go. And you don't get good spin because you aren't able to topspin the ball hard. So you lack directional control and spin. You may make the shot in practice under controlled conditions but it will get riskier and riskier when dealing with spin levels and strokes you do not know.

This all makes sense

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 20:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:

The best players are all exceptionally easy to train against and warm up against. They hit the ball so "clean" that you feel like you can't miss against them. If I'm coaching someone and I can't easily loop 10 balls in a row against their block, I know I need to teach them how to block better. I know it sounds like I have a problem in this example, but I can assure you it's the player who has the problem.

I had chances to practice one-on-one with players >2400 USATT I know very well what you are talking about.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 02:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Is there any right or wrong footwork for moving in and out behind the table? Not stepping in for a ball over the table, adjusting distance for different long balls. Or you have more time so any pattern of steps will work?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 23:32 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Is it not just the logic of two step footwork forwards and backwards?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 09:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Is there any right or wrong footwork for moving in and out behind the table? Not stepping in for a ball over the table, adjusting distance for different long balls. Or you have more time so any pattern of steps will work?

There is footwork involved. Step in with your right foot and out with your right foot. There can be a small bunny-hop back too. If the ball is long, loop it, don't push it.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 09:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

And don't forget to download the latest app by ttEDGE - Cricket Edge https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... icket_Edge

I'm sure everyone in the US will be very excited about the new app!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 13:16 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I must admit LTT57 - Learning table tennis part 57 - Between Point Routine has made a big difference to my game.
In my comp on Tuesday I was down 2 games to zero and had 4 match points against me. I kept my cool and did the between point routine and I ended up winning this game 16 - 14 and the next 2 games too. My competitor was really pissed off.
There is one girl in the club that is about number 2. I notice every time she misses she does a shadow swing to correct the stroke. She is very solid emotionally compared to most of the other members.
Thanks Brett.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 17:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
pgpg wrote:
As a suggestion for future videos: how to create heavy backspin on pushes (preferably FH). Trying to add another shot to my repertoire. 8)

It will be LTT72 - Chopping and Pushing Heavy.

Every Sunday (EST), we are trying to release one LTT and either a DTT or ETT. So LTT72 is a few weeks away.

So next week is Banana Flick, followed by 3 Joint Forehand and then Heavy Chops and Pushes. 3 Joint forehand is a discussion about the theoretical relevance of the shoulder, wrist and elbow when playing topspin against different balls.

I am really looking forward to the 3 Joint video. One thing that surprises me is how much people talk about using legs rotation in the stroke, yet your focus seems to be one channeling the power through relaxed forearm and wrist. I wonder if you plan to talk about the legs rotation in details and its role.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 17:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
pgpg wrote:
As a suggestion for future videos: how to create heavy backspin on pushes (preferably FH). Trying to add another shot to my repertoire. 8)

It will be LTT72 - Chopping and Pushing Heavy.

Every Sunday (EST), we are trying to release one LTT and either a DTT or ETT. So LTT72 is a few weeks away.

So next week is Banana Flick, followed by 3 Joint Forehand and then Heavy Chops and Pushes. 3 Joint forehand is a discussion about the theoretical relevance of the shoulder, wrist and elbow when playing topspin against different balls.

I am really looking forward to the 3 Joint video. One thing that surprises me is how much people talk about using legs rotation in the stroke, yet your focus seems to be one channeling the power through relaxed forearm and wrist. I wonder if you plan to talk about the legs rotation in details and its role.

It has been on my list for quite some time. I'll talk about it LTT7X

If you watch LTT59 and LTT62 you'll see we care about using the body.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 17:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Please be sure to discuss pushing dead as I lack the skill to push flat and I wish I could do both to be more deceptive.

Sorry, I can't push dead and I don't really want to learn myself. When I've played against CNT guys, I don't remember them pushing dead either. I only remember needing an very large shovel to lift their pushes.

I understand that you feel it's a good variation, but I just don't feel the same. There's some deeper topics about short pushing when backside suddenly turns into topside, however it's an advanced topic that's complicated to explain here or even in a video.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 01:15 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Please be sure to discuss pushing dead as I lack the skill to push flat and I wish I could do both to be more deceptive.

Sorry, I can't push dead and I don't really want to learn myself. When I've played against CNT guys, I don't remember them pushing dead either. I only remember needing an very large shovel to lift their pushes.

I understand that you feel it's a good variation, but I just don't feel the same. There's some deeper topics about short pushing when backside suddenly turns into topside, however it's an advanced topic that's complicated to explain here or even in a video.

Interesting. Maybe it's all unintentional, but I thought for some reason it was important to be able to vary the amount of spin on your pushes and chops. What you said makes sense.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 18:06 

https://youtu.be/afH7RzM49Gg
16.20 great point but no reaction from my opponent

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 21:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:
https://youtu.be/afH7RzM49Gg
16.20 great point but no reaction from my opponent

I think he just didn't notice???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 568  Next