OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 23:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
big d wrote:
https://youtu.be/afH7RzM49Gg
16.20 great point but no reaction from my opponent

I think he just didn't notice???

He was busy visualizing his block landing on the fh corner.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 23:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
His opponent doesn't get impressed by hand switching and has seen big d miss it enough not to get wowed when he makes it.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 09:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
big d wrote:
https://youtu.be/afH7RzM49Gg
16.20 great point but no reaction from my opponent

I think he just didn't notice???

He was busy visualizing his block landing on the fh corner.

That's why he didn't throw his racket after losing the point

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 09:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT70 and DTT5 are available on ttEDGE.com

DTT5 is a drill I use all day with learning adults and juniors.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 13:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:

Banana fade drives me bananas. I never thought it was a feasible shot.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 16:19 

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Please be sure to discuss pushing dead as I lack the skill to push flat and I wish I could do both to be more deceptive.

Sorry, I can't push dead and I don't really want to learn myself. When I've played against CNT guys, I don't remember them pushing dead either. I only remember needing an very large shovel to lift their pushes.

I understand that you feel it's a good variation, but I just don't feel the same. There's some deeper topics about short pushing when backside suddenly turns into topside, however it's an advanced topic that's complicated to explain here or even in a video.

Interesting. Maybe it's all unintentional, but I thought for some reason it was important to be able to vary the amount of spin on your pushes and chops. What you said makes sense.

It looks like most of Big D's pushes are what I call lifts, which are inherently low spin.

He does push heavy as well.

He seems to be letting the ball hit his rubber and lifts the head of the racket to return the ball.
The only added spin is the effect of the rubber.
He seems to be using a similar technique that I see used when a looper is resetting a choppers heavy underspin.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 03:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

The DTTseries has been great. Somewhere in the new learning packages I've learned that I have been swinging back too early on the backhand and losing power. Worse than that I was losing time too. Knowing I can swing later on the backhand has helped my forehand more than anything else as I can be more neutral. I know I value any .10 seconds I can get a hold of.

Still this is rather new for me and I often find myself still doing early backhand strokes.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 03:14 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Red Roar wrote:

It looks like most of Big D's pushes are what I call lifts, which are inherently low spin.

He seems to be letting the ball hit his rubber and lifts the head of the racket to return the ball.
He seems to be using a similar technique that I see used when a looper is resetting a choppers heavy underspin.

Yes, he pushes like a Chicken, not like a CNT member. Because my best strokes are all underspin primed, he plays like a chicken so I can loop long. Face me like a man! Lol!

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 04:29 

NextLevel wrote:
Red Roar wrote:

Yes, he pushes like a Chicken, not like a CNT member. Because my best strokes are all underspin primed, he plays like a chicken so I can loop long. Face me like a man! Lol!

Lol, now you're getting me in trouble with Big D.
I wasn't trying to insult him, simply point out that he is able to push dead, and heavy.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 07:47 

Red Roar wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Red Roar wrote:

Lol, now you're getting me in trouble with Big D.
I wasn't trying to insult him, simply point out that he is able to push dead, and heavy.

thanks for the kind words red roar. when I try drop shot I try not to put extra spin on the ball as it might drift long because of the extra wrist action.
as for nl facing u like man means me getting squashed like a bug so I will not let u bait me into that trap. :).

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 08:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

The DTTseries has been great. Somewhere in the new learning packages I've learned that I have been swinging back too early on the backhand and losing power. Worse than that I was losing time too. Knowing I can swing later on the backhand has helped my forehand more than anything else as I can be more neutral. I know I value any .10 seconds I can get a hold of.

Still this is rather new for me and I often find myself still doing early backhand strokes.

I like DTT too, even though it's very subtle thus far. I'm hoping it'll be a 50+ video series.

I'm spending time documenting the drills I use for players, depending on what they need to improve. I tend to use lots of A/B type decision making drills so the player doesn't know exactly where the ball is going, or exactly what spin they need to counteract. You always want to be working towards game situations, regardless of your level.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 22:30 

Back on the blocking thing, I’m struggling to understand the theory. You say a flat block is best at keeping the ball from going long against a heavy topspin loop, compared to a topspin block, but I thought a flat block’s slight spin reversal i.e. returning the ball with backspin rather than topspin, is what causes it to float long. (It may not literally be backspin, but reduced topspin gives the same effect.)

Also would not putting some topspin on the block reduce the looped ball’s wanting to jump upwards off the blocker’s bat, compared to a flat block?

And why are topspin blocks more difficult for your practice partner? More difficult to do a proper loop against I can sort of imagine, but they are easier to counterhit.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 22:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Pongalong wrote:
Back on the blocking thing, I’m struggling to understand the theory. You say a flat block is best at keeping the ball from going long against a heavy topspin loop, compared to a topspin block, but I thought a flat block’s slight spin reversal i.e. returning the ball with backspin rather than topspin, is what causes it to float long. (It may not literally be backspin, but reduced topspin gives the same effect.)

Also would not putting some topspin on the block reduce the looped ball’s wanting to jump upwards off the blocker’s bat, compared to a flat block?

And why are topspin blocks more difficult for your practice partner? More difficult to do a proper loop against I can sort of imagine, but they are easier to counterhit.

At a tournament this weekend, I was hitting with a 1600 player. Like most 1600 players without formal coaching, he had a lifting block. He tried to loop me into missing and was surprised. When I looped to him, he lifted my loops off the table. This has nothing to do with rating. I told him to stop lifting and while he couldn't entirely stop, he became more consistent. I told him to move the paddle sideways if he felt a need to move it, but just not upwards as upwards doesn't face the table.

His practice partner/coach came to loop with me. He complained that his friend couldn't block his loops.i said well, you have to stop the lifting disease. Because his coach can block consistently with a trapping, lifting stroke, he doesn't see the problem. But the coach's blocks drive me insane in practice. They do get stressed in matches though. The topspin block doesn't move in an easy plane to track. It arcs in ways that can be had to time with any stroke. We have a fairly consistent topspin blocker in my club and it is annoying hard to hit his blocks.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 23:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Pongalong wrote:

Oooh this is my pet peeve.

1) The more topspin on the ball, the more curved its trajectory is. If the ball has a fancy trajectory, it is difficult to anticipate its bounce and adapt your stroke to it. Moreover, the spin on the ball makes it kick forward into you after the bounce, which puts a lot of stress, at least on me. Contrary, it is easy to predict the bounce of a flat ball as it goes straight.

2) A spinny ball is easier to counterhit, but more difficult to loop. If there is a plenty of topspin on the ball, you can't loop it softly. The reason is that before you apply your own spin, you have to cancel out the existing spin. So you have no choice but to loop hard, otherwise the ball will easily go off the table. It is especially annoying if you are out of position slightly: you know that you have to loop it hard, but it feels awkward, and it just sucks. On the other side, a flat ball is easy to loop as you can apply as much spin as you want easily. And if you choose to brush it slightly to merely keep it on the table, you will be fine.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 01:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
I like DTT too, even though it's very subtle thus far. I'm hoping it'll be a 50+ video series.

I'm spending time documenting the drills I use for players, depending on what they need to improve. I tend to use lots of A/B type decision making drills so the player doesn't know exactly where the ball is going, or exactly what spin they need to counteract. You always want to be working towards game situations, regardless of your level.

Now I'm curious if I could mod my robot to start giving randomish drills. Of course it isn't as useful if you cannot see someone doing the block. Naturally I imagined a 55" tv behind my TT robot of Brett blocking balls to the forehand or backhand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!