OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Xiom Vega Intro
PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 12:28 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I've seen there is a new rubber available called Xiom Vega Intro. Has anyone used this yet?

From the name you would think it's an introductory tensor but does that mean it would suit beginners as a good first rubber. I wonder what other tensors or even non-tensors it might be similar to.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Xiom Vega Intro
PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 17:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I would assume it's similar in some way to the other Vegas. What would the difference be between the Vegas and, say, the Omegas? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 18:01 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Haven't tried it myself but there are some reports already on the german forum:

http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=245792&page=5

Seems what you would expect, bit firmer then Vega Europe, softer then Vega pro, not big catapult, balanced without major strengths and weaknesses.

There is now a lot to choose in this entry level tensor category like Andro GTT, Donis Blues series etc which I think is a pretty cool development.

iskandar taib wrote:
I would assume it's similar in some way to the other Vegas. What would the difference be between the Vegas and, say, the Omegas? :lol:

Iskandar

Think Vegas are spin oriented and Omegas are faster and harder compared to their Vega equivalents (Omega V Europe is 45 degrees while Vega Europe is 42.5 )

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 21:10 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Barfly wrote:
Haven't tried it myself but there are some reports already on the german forum:

http://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=245792&page=5

Seems what you would expect, bit firmer then Vega Europe, softer then Vega pro, not big catapult, balanced without major strengths and weaknesses.

There is now a lot to choose in this entry level tensor category like Andro GTT, Donis Blues series etc which I think is a pretty cool development.

iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Think Vegas are spin oriented and Omegas are faster and harder compared to their Vega equivalents (Omega V Europe is 45 degrees while Vega Europe is 42.5 )

Thanks for the link, was interesting. i agree it sounds a step below Vega Pro and perhaps and entry level tensor.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 04:55 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Just put a sheet of red Intro 1.8mm on my Andro temper tech all+ blade.

First impressions are that it is more of a speeded up Xiom Musa than a slower Europe or Elite type tensor.

Quite firm and direct with a lowish throw, very linear and not much tensor bounce, but more speed than Musa on counter hits which is what I wanted.

Switching from say Vega Europe it might be a challenge but from a Musa type classic rubbers easy

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 20:53 
Super User

good review here on Xiom Vega Intro which from my limited play time so far accurately sums up Intro. Fast classic rubber feel rather than a Vega series Tensor.

http://www.tt-spin.de/xiom-vega-intro/

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2017, 21:45 
Super User

After trying Intro 1.8mm as a F/Hand rubber on a range of all to all- to all + blades decided it is not for me.

Linear with good control in the short game but not a lot of spin or grip. However in fast f/hand to f/hand rallies very difficult to control for my limited ability as the rubber and maybe top sheet is hard and fast. Complete opposite of a softish tensor such as say Vega Europe.

May work better in max as the sponge should then allow a bit more sink/dwell than 1.8. sold it to a friend whose game suits a more hard Chinese rubber on F/hand and I may try Regalis red or Aurus select.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 02:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Why the 1.8mm? I think you'd actually gain control on topspin drives and loops if you use thicker sponge. And get more speed and spin to boot. If you're using a balsa blade or if you're a chopper or blocker it'd be understandable, but...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 02:59 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Why the 1.8mm? I think you'd actually gain control on topspin drives and loops if you use thicker sponge. And get more speed and spin to boot. If you're using a balsa blade or if you're a chopper or blocker it'd be understandable, but...

Iskandar

The last 3 all apply! But I also liked to counter hit/drive top spin. In hindsight I should have gone for 2mm as I prefer Musa 2mm on my f/hand for same reasons you mentioned, and Intro is more of a boosted Musa than true tensor like the other Vega rubbers where 1.8 work well and gives more control on balsa.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 23:12 

Blade: Nittaku Latika Flared
FH: Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm
BH: Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm
I'm putting this comment here for people like me (beginner-intermediate) who are considering this as beginner rubber.
I read this thread before deciding to get it on my first custom racket.
I will be comparing this to Yasaka Mark V, which is generally accepted as a universal beginner rubber.

I just got Xiom Vega Intro 2.0 black and Yasaka Mark V 2.0 Red on Nittaku Latika(OFF-) blade. I twiddle and play with both sides almost equally.
Feel: Xiom Vega Intro has a harder sponge. The ball still bounces off moderately fast despite the ball not digging into the sponge. Personally I prefer the softer feel of Mark V.
Bounciness(Speed): Xiom Vega Intro is noticeably faster.
Spin: On slower shots, the spin is not very different from Mark V. Barely noticeable.
On loops, powerful push, etc. The spin is a step more than Mark V. I won a few points by twiddling my racket and pushing
with the same motion with Mark V. If the opponent fails to notice it, they sometimes push it into the net and they became
confused.
Serve: Spin is not that different, but I often twiddle to this side for fast serve since it's more bouncy.
Service return: Mark V is a lot easier.
Flick/Flip: I like Vega Intro better. Mark V lacks the speed to kill the shot.
Throw: Significantly lower than Mark V. Because of the speed maybe?
Chop: Mark V has a lot more control. I feel like Vega Intro has less contact time and the ball popped up a lot.
Lob: Mark V on OFF- all wood blade is too slow for me away from the table. Vega Intro is a lot better.
Block: Vega Intro is very good for passive blocking!
Backhand loop-drive: I like Vega Intro a lot more.
Loop: Vega Intro shines in regular loop, but if I have to do a control loop or a loop against backspin, I twiddle to Mark V for higher throw.

Linearity of Vega Intro: Take some time adjusting to coming from a decent premade rubber(beginner soft rubber). I hate it on the first session. But love it on the second and third.
It's linear for a tensor I guess, but Mark V is much more linear.

Overall Comment: I don't recommend this as first beginner rubber. It is too spin-sensitive and bouncy. I think it is very manageable as first tensor for people coming from good premade or classic rubber. I'm now wishing that I get it for both sides so I don't have to twiddle around excessively. (I can't kill some points with Mark V without hitting really hard. It's easier to twiddle to Vega Intro and use the same motion to throw the opponent off by a change in speed)
I've also tried a couple of points with MX-P on Timo Boll ALC, and it's just a step up from Xiom Vega Intro on OFF- wood blade. I think this would be a good rubber before you move up to tensor.

Last edited by Mimobrok on 02 Feb 2018, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 10:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That's an excellent summary Mimobrok :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 12:07 
Super User

FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Very good review. Closely resembles my experience with it. I found it quite good for chopping though. Intro was the first ‘modern’ rubber I used after decades with Mark V.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 23:51 
Super User

My thoughts on having tried Intro 1.8mm red on a variety of blades is that it is good for direct play e.g. pushing, blocking and hitting/counter hitting, but not good for imparting spin e.g. on serves, chops and slow loops, as due to its hard sponge it lacks dwell/grip on the plastic ball.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 23:41 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Our (german) review of the Vega Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohjy4wJ_iXY

- hard sponge
- very low tensor effect
- lower spin than PiMPLEPARK Epos
- less fun than Mizuno GF R

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 06:39 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I have tried many rubbers (including Aurus Soft, MX-P, MX-S) and can say that Vega Intro is a true tensor with a strong catapult effect. For example Evolution MX-S is much more linear rubber.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!