OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 13:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
When I play 1900+ players I tend to always feel a little slow.

At practice yesterday I saw a Chinese coach feed multiball random balls extremely fast to her student. Faster than I've ever practiced myself. I noticed the student's feet constantly hopping. Is this the secret to having a faster tempo?

If I recall correctly what was discussed a few pages ago, hopping helps but is not essential.

Sure, but hopping I think is essential if you are being fed balls at crazy speed. It was just an observation. Probably more important in the high level woman's game with the super fast at the table game.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 13:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
wilkinru wrote:
fastmover wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
When I play 1900+ players I tend to always feel a little slow.

At practice yesterday I saw a Chinese coach feed multiball random balls extremely fast to her student. Faster than I've ever practiced myself. I noticed the student's feet constantly hopping. Is this the secret to having a faster tempo?

If I recall correctly what was discussed a few pages ago, hopping helps but is not essential.

Sure, but hopping I think is essential if you are being fed balls at crazy speed. It was just an observation. Probably more important in the high level woman's game with the super fast at the table game.

Probably you are right. I wonder at which level hopping becomes a must: maybe something like 2300-2400 USATT or around.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 12:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Here is an attempt to practice pivot against robot. It is incredibly difficult to do so without cheating of moving too early. Even if I set the speed to bare minimum enough to clear the net, moving at the right time is tough as the ball appears fast out of nowhere. I had many false starts with this attempt. Feel free to criticise.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 15:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Here is an attempt to practice pivot against robot. It is incredibly difficult to do so without cheating of moving too early. Even if I set the speed to bare minimum enough to clear the net, moving at the right time is tough as the ball appears fast out of nowhere. I had many false starts with this attempt. Feel free to criticise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKR5xuCgKs

I think the footwork looks great. I wasn't sure whether you'd be able to find the right pattern and now you've done it.

I'd like to see your arm straighten on the backswing with the momentum of the move. Normally, it's easiest to straighten your arm when pivoting because of the momentum to the left side.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 00:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKR5xuCgKs

I think the footwork looks great. I wasn't sure whether you'd be able to find the right pattern and now you've done it.

I'd like to see your arm straighten on the backswing with the momentum of the move. Normally, it's easiest to straighten your arm when pivoting because of the momentum to the left side.

Thanks, Brett. I wasn't sure I was going to find the right pattern either. Maybe watching lots of Wang Liqin's matches helped somehow.

Straigthening the arm is going to be a hell of a challenge. I am so used to the "chicken wing" forehand that straigthening it in any real-world scenario is very difficult. Here is a recent video of looping against LPs.

On most of these shots I somehow unbend the eblow, though the arm never fully straightens. I didn't try to unbend it consciously, just relaxed it. I feel like it is big progress for me. Hopefully I will be able to play a shot like that against faster balls before this year ends.

BTW, is there a difference between pivoting on topspin and backspin balls? I feel like against backspin I can lunge less and get away with, but it could be wrong.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 20:58 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Hello everyone, I am finally back to ttedge and training tt seriously and first of all I would like to congratulate you on fantastic new content and discussions and I am super happy to return to this great community.

Now, here is some footage from some of my latest training sessions, any feedback and criticism is highly welcomed:

FH topspin against push followed by random ball:

https://youtu.be/CBAxhrtrXm4

Random ball feed:

https://youtu.be/-9NNOQZhJGI

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 11:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:
Hello everyone, I am finally back to ttedge and training tt seriously and first of all I would like to congratulate you on fantastic new content and discussions and I am super happy to return to this great community.

Now, here is some footage from some of my latest training sessions, any feedback and criticism is highly welcomed:

FH topspin against push followed by random ball:

https://youtu.be/CBAxhrtrXm4

Random ball feed:

https://youtu.be/-9NNOQZhJGI

Hey Barfly. Welcome back!

I think your forehand is looking good. Your backhand is fine although I think it can be better. I'm going to make some videos about modernizing Ben Taylor's backhand topspin and I think the content will be applicable to you. It's going to take a while and I think it will be worth it.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 21:45 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
Hey Barfly. Welcome back!

I think your forehand is looking good. Your backhand is fine although I think it can be better. I'm going to make some videos about modernizing Ben Taylor's backhand topspin and I think the content will be applicable to you. It's going to take a while and I think it will be worth it.

Thank you very much, looking forward to the new videos and learning more

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 02:20 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Need a video and drills on how to attack high slow spinny topspins. I keep hitting them long if I take them late and I am almost compelled to take them late.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 02:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Need a video and drills on how to attack high slow spinny topspins. I keep hitting them long if I take them late and I am almost compelled to take them late.

Something like this?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 06:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have question about the forehand technique emonstrated in whip forehand videos on killing the junk. It is obvious that there should be a lot of momentum of the body in forward swing. But how much momentum should it be on the backswing? Should it be as fast as the forward swing? Is it the same for the regular forehand?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 08:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I have question about the forehand technique emonstrated in whip forehand videos on killing the junk. It is obvious that there should be a lot of momentum of the body in forward swing. But how much momentum should it be on the backswing? Should it be as fast as the forward swing? Is it the same for the regular forehand?

The speed and timing of the backswing directly contribute to racket head speed on all shots, every time.

Here are some interesting questions for one to meditate on:
- Is there a good reason to ever deliberately reduce racket head speed?
- Should you use maximum racket head speed on all shots?
- Is there a good time to use a slow backswing?
- Is there a good time to swing early and pause at the end of the backswing?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 08:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT77 and ETTS41 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT77 is theory that I pass on to elite players on a regular basis. It's contains some of the most important information I know about TT even though it appears to be a simple video.

ETTS41 is video about Richard's serves. I think some members will have similar issues.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 08:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Something like this?

This video demonstrates the importance of having a coach/multiball feeder/flexible training partner.

In China, for example, they have lots of coaches and trainers feeding balls to current players. This makes an enormous difference as you can practice the things you really need to win matches. If NL had someone feeding high, slow, spinny topspins all day, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's just super difficult to find this type of training in a club environment. Then it suddenly becomes a technical question rather than a training issue.

Say we make a DTT video with the trainer spinning up high loops and the player countering them, who is going to do this for you in the club?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 08:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ETTS41 prompts to enter a password, something related to Vimeo?.

LTT77 is great! What I notice is that at club level even if the ball is genuinely short, it is often high enough to be forehand-loopable. However, often during the first matches of a tournament I am seriously afraid of looping the long serves due to possible spin misreading mistakes. I have to constantly hammer my mind to change this attitude and usually relax in next games/matches.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 568  Next