OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Wisdom tooth
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 18:02 

My wisdom tooth is erupting. It is aching like hell. I have difficulty in opening my mouth and an unpleasant smell from my gums. My friend said she had similar pain and difficulties while her tooth erupted. I don’t think this is normal in my case. The pain is increasing day by day and slight swelling is also there. The gum has become more reddish and tender. It bleeds too. I have heard about cases when wisdom tooth become impacted. I googled about the situation and my symptoms are matching. I took an appointment at a clinic in Lexington to know more about my pain and impacted wisdom tooth extraction procedures. I’ve heard it is a surgical process and only oral surgeons handle such cases. Is that true? Is extraction the only way to save the impacted wisdom tooth? Kindly share your wisdom regarding this. Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Wisdom tooth
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 18:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Definitely go see a dentist. I had to have my two lower ones removed surgically (they couldn't just extract them, since they were growing horizontally). One of the upper ones had to go, too, when they removed it the roots were bent sideways. I was about 19 or 20 at the time.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 18:24 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Just go to a dentist mate, not a table tennis forum.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 18:31 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Quite frequently the human jaw does not have room for the last set of teeth. In that case, a wisdom tooth may ...
  • find an alternative growth path
    as in Iskandar's case ; usually painful and causing inflammation
  • push its way up anyway
    putting pressure on the next molar and sometimes causing misalignment of other teeth, sometimes painful
  • stop its growth halfway out
    happened to me ; tooth coming only partially clear of the flesh in the gum, so it is difficult to clean properly. This easily leads to inflammation in the gum over time.
Pain/tenderness and swelling of the gum, and also an unpleasant smell that won't go away, suggests to me that you may have a similar issue to mine, only a worse case.

If you were examined at the clinic, I guess they should easily determine the cause and explain it to you. Did you only have a preparatory appointment, with no examination? Was it a dental clinic? If it is indeed the clinic you linked to and you did not get the advice as expected, I'd steer clear of that place in the future.

Please note: I am not a dentist or otherwise an expert in "oral issues". This info is just what I have gathered from my own and my parents' and children's experience. Please heed Cobalt's advice!
Note also that I have reported your post. It breaks the rules about linking to other sites. (See section E, points 4 and 8 from that link.) A moderator/admin may remove the live link, and possibly take other actions.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 19:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think Gionis could probably give advice.. :lol: Don't think he reads this forum, though..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 20:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Spammy link & user removed... interesting topic remains 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 22:13 
Super User

If they tell you you need it removed, go ahead and "bite the bullet" and just do it when you are young and can heal quite easily and can get back to normal chewing quickly. You may save yourself a lot of future troubles.
My sister put it off forever, till the tooth cracked and got very sore and just had it out last week at age 75. Came out rather easily, but now it's taking a good long time to heal up at her age.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 12:12 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Need to see a dentist. Sounds like extraction (tooth removal) is indicated. In the short term, you will need a course of antibiotics. Oral surgeons are good and fast, meaning a less trauma surgery: less pain, bleeding, chance of infection and swelling after the surgery. It may mean less chance of more serious complications such as nerve injury too. Oral surgeons, although more expensive, are more qualified to do the job properly. In Canada, and I believe in the U.S. too, that's 4 more years of school in addition to the dental school and dental degree. I assume the poster is in his late teen or early 20's? The post does sound real.
DDS

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 14:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
shaolinTT wrote:
The post does sound real.

Yes, apart from the hidden link in the text which has since been removed. ;) Still it's an interesting topic that I think many of us can relate to. ;)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 16:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Then again he probably posted the same text on 50 different BBSes of different sorts... :lol: Perfect hook. I didn't even notice until later that that was his first post.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 18:17 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Im not sure how severe the pain or discomfort will be before, during and after the Wisdom tooth removal, but it would be a safe bet to assume the OP is going to be out of sorts from no-jogging, no-running, no-physical activity, no biting, eating soup through a straw, on a liquid diet.

OP should go to a medical professional and be ready to put up with a lot of pain and willing vainly for it to end. You can't GRIND your teeth. You can't bite stuff. You have to prevent your jaws from "clacking". I can't imagine the problems after getting more than one wisdom tooth out.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 20:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The original poster's teeth are probably fine.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 02:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I'd like to know if still having my wisdom teeth means my TT strategies are better than if I had them removed? I mean 4 sets of Wisdom surely serves you well in a best of 7 or a best of 5? :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 10:22 
Super User

@Reb ROFL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 10:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Wouldn't four sets of wisdom teeth mean 16?? An orthodontist's nightmare... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar