OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 11:14 
Super User

Blade all the way for me :rock:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 16:26 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Rubber

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 07:55 
I am Legend
I am Legend

rubber

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 08:28 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Blubber.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 04:17 

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1- 1.9MM
BH: GD Meteorite .05MM
I'd argue that proper form and execution is far more important than the equipment in your hands, but my personal opinion on the matter is that the blade is more important than rubber.

I've always treated the blade being the base stats of your speed/control/throw angle of your set up, and rubber adds onto those base stats (or takes away;)) along with the stat of spin. Thus making the blade more important than rubber to me.

An example of my thought process:

If we were to take an inverted rubber. Say Tenergy 05 or any modern tensor rubber, and slap that bad boy on an Carbon OFF+ blade, play with it for a bit, and then take the same rubber and put it on an Def+ or even a All+ blade and then play with that for a while. You would see noticeable differences in the speed, spin, and control of your shots.

I'd also venture to say the same thing if we took any pips with or without sponge and used the above scenario, the outcome would dictate that each blade provides a vastly different ball based off it's base stats alone.

The differences in the above scenario are caused by the base stats of the blade, not the rubber.

III. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood; FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm; BH: Victas V > 01 Stiff 2.0mm

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 05:02 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Riot207 wrote:
I've always treated the blade being the base stats of your speed/control/throw angle of your set up, and rubber adds onto those base stats (or takes away;)) along with the stat of spin. Thus making the blade more important than rubber to me.

If we were to take an inverted rubber. Say Tenergy 05 or any modern tensor rubber, and slap that bad boy on an Carbon OFF+ blade, play with it for a bit, and then take the same rubber and put it on an Def+ or even a All+ blade and then play with that for a while. You would see noticeable differences in the speed, spin, and control of your shots.

I'd also venture to say the same thing if we took any pips with or without sponge and used the above scenario, the outcome would dictate that each blade provides a vastly different ball based off it's base stats alone.

The differences in the above scenario are caused by the base stats of the blade, not the rubber.

I think you could change this logic to rubbers as well.

If you had that same Carbon OFF+ blade, put boosted T64 on it, play with it for a bit, and then place a defensive rubber like 1.3mm TSP Triple Spin chop, it would be an entirely different animal. Lighter, butter soft sponge, slow, tacky, and super thin.

so, I think there is a relationship between blade and rubber where each are pretty close in importance. I think "Blubber" is the most accurate.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 22:44 

Japsican wrote:
Riot207 wrote:

If you had that same Carbon OFF+ blade, put boosted T64 on it, play with it for a bit, and then place a defensive rubber like 1.3mm TSP Triple Spin chop, it would be an entirely different animal. Lighter, butter soft sponge, slow, tacky, and super thin.

so, I think there is a relationship between blade and rubber where each are pretty close in importance. I think "Blubber" is the most accurate.

Devils advocate scenario on point, a little extreme in the scenario but I'll take it. I'll concede and state that I agree, "blubber" is the correct term. :rock:

III. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood; FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm; BH: Victas V > 01 Stiff 2.0mm

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 23:40 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Riot207 wrote:
Japsican wrote:
Riot207 wrote:

Devils advocate scenario on point, a little extreme in the scenario but I'll take it. I'll concede and state that I agree, "blubber" is the correct term. :rock:

Haha! :lol:

I dunno, you went from OFF+ blade to an DEF blade. I went from an OFF rubber to a DEF rubber. Kinda the same. But the poles are the comparison I suppose. Extreme would have been Anti for the DEF rubber. Perhaps a better choice would have been Reflectoid in the same thickness as the T64. :P

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 01:25 
Super User

Neither!

The person holding the bat is the most important part!!!

Far too much money spent equipment - imagine if you spent that time and money on training.....

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 02:04 

stupet11 wrote:
Neither!

Far too much money spent equipment - imagine if you spent that time and money on training.....

+1 :up: Best comment so far!

I did have a chuckle at your comment matching up with your Nittaku Violin blade. I remembered my mouth dropping at the price of the violin and acoustic when they came out thinking I'd never spend over 100 dollars for a blade. With 200-300 dollar blades being bought every day, the ole violin is relatively cheap in comparison.. Still too expensive for my taste.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 02:10 
Super User

Riot207 wrote:
stupet11 wrote:
Neither!

+1 :up: Best comment so far!

I did have a chuckle at your comment matching up with your Nittaku Violin blade. I remembered my mouth dropping at the price of the violin and acoustic when they came out thinking I'd never spend over 100 dollars for a blade. With 200-300 dollar blades being bought every day, the ole violin is relatively cheap in comparison.. Still too expensive for my taste.

Any blade is expensive if you don't know how to use it!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 07:50 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Definitely the rubber, yesterday per Oh Hail Yow at USA Hobby Table Tennis Coalition on Facebook, played with inverted rubber on a 4" x 4" or 10cm x 10cm rubber surface area on a tiny Paddle, went 20-2 games against 5 different players using normal size paddles.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 18:48 

Now I always thought thicker sponge is more spin because of dwell time, and the majority search results seem to agree. If this is, and slower blades also have a longer dwell time, wouldn't that mean that the thick rubber + def blade generates more spin than the thin rubber + off blade?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 05:16 

According to PingSkills the rubber is more important! And PingSkills is always correct!

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 20:09 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I also say blubber; the chemistry between the blade and rubber can really matter a lot. If I had to choose one or the other though, I'd say blade for the same reasons that Baal and Debater mentioned.

Rating: Recreational Player