OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 01:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 23:35 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
You might find this funny, but during our Philly technical debates, this was what Matt S argued when comparing flaring loops to Chinese loops. The flaring wrist would hurt reset and consistency of contact. And I agree that on many backhands in matches, William doesn't flare the wrist.

I have struggled to consistently time this stroke vs topspin balls with the backswing to the chest though. But I find it generally more effective for fast countering and can often loop the ball with an effect similar to punching it. People tend to ooh and ah when I do it (it's basically an extension of what we worked on when you came to Philly) so I think I will carry it all the way and make it my dominant backhand stroke.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 00:01 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

This is the stroke I pretty much want to use and teach on all 5th ball and as your basic backhand topspin close to the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksI6i84WlPo

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 00:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
LTT78 and DTT12 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT78 is about making Ben's backhand more like a whip serve. DTT12 will teach you, the hard way, to serve short when it counts.

Looks like you came to the Chinese backhand...

That was first thought when watching LTT78.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 02:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
LTT78 and DTT12 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT78 is about making Ben's backhand more like a whip serve. DTT12 will teach you, the hard way, to serve short when it counts.

WOW. I figured it out before the video. My backhand vs topspin had been a disaster, mostly too thin ending up in the net. I blamed my equipment and tried some harder sponges but it did not make a difference - I still had inconsistencies exactly like Ben's. I shortened it like the video and have made it a very quick little whip motion. I think LTT78 is excellent instruction.

You know I felt bad doing this new technique for the last few weeks. It felt like it was a little against what I've been taught here. I had decided that it wasn't worth losing so many points over because my stroke was too big - may as well settle. My backhand loop vs backspin is crazy heavy these days. No one is blocking it anymore(at least under 2000). It just gets blocked sky high and I catch it behind the table. I mention this because I felt like I could do the same with the top spin ball but it just wasn't happening.

I've set up my all too expensive robot to feed me: backspin, dead and then a good fast top spin. It's pretty nightmarish to do all 3 in a row well. The biggest problem is the top spin one. It's practically a 3rd shot in my brain. The shorter technique works but I have to remind myself to do it and re-learn a little.

One thing I noticed last weekend was that heavy sidespin serves (you know, penholders fav) can also EASILY be returned by the same stroke. It's shockingly easy. Before I would always go long(or off the edge of the blade) with the big boy stroke.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 02:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
This is the stroke I pretty much want to use and teach on all 5th ball and as your basic backhand topspin close to the table.

That's a big-time backhand grip with his thumb up on the rubber.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 02:56 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

I pretty much play with a backhand grip but of you don't, cock your wrist backwards and that addresses 95% of the problems.

And thumb on rubber is not a backhand grip. Thumb face flat on rubber face is a backhand grip.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 03:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

I pretty much play with a backhand grip but of you don't, cock your wrist backwards and that addresses 95% of the problems.

And thumb on rubber is not a backhand grip. Thumb face flat on rubber face is a backhand grip.

The grip Harimoto has at 2:04 looks like a massive bh grip to me. I was curious if you meant you would use and teach that swing, or if the grip was included.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 03:44 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Will get better footage tonight but basically something like this but with a better backswing:

https://youtu.be/7o3xKKr0HaI?list=PL1xH ... qEs&t=1296

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 06:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
You might find this funny, but during our Philly technical debates, this was what Matt S argued when comparing flaring loops to Chinese loops. The flaring wrist would hurt reset and consistency of contact. And I agree that on many backhands in matches, William doesn't flare the wrist.

I have struggled to consistently time this stroke vs topspin balls with the backswing to the chest though. But I find it generally more effective for fast countering and can often loop the ball with an effect similar to punching it. People tend to ooh and ah when I do it (it's basically an extension of what we worked on when you came to Philly) so I think I will carry it all the way and make it my dominant backhand stroke.

William's wrist almost always snaps through. LTT78 is about a better backswing and stopping the forearm to increase speed with a snapping wrist. It's in no way telling you to hold the wrist back. A flaring wrist wasn't inhibiting Ben's recover - it was his forearm continuing forever and then starting the backswing from the very end.

William definitely doesn't need to change his backhand, but many club players do.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 07:07 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

I see what you mean now. Your concern is more with the degree to which the forearm is turned over and the elbow jumps up. Can't believe that given the degree to which this is more common with people who get to flare their backhand that there is no link whatsoever.

Does William backswing to his chest as well?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 07:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'm watching "TE31 MB - BH topspin" Under "The Edge" section right now.

Later in the video William does some top spin balls. One thing that is obvious is that his wrist is amazingly fluid and relaxed looking. He might even be going a little too far but the back swing whip is amazing and I feel like his elbow doesn't do the odd twist at the end.

Ugh watching William hitting these backhands messes with my brain after watching LTT78. I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm talking about now.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 08:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Does William backswing to his chest as well?

It's within his range meaning it depends on how much power he is going for.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 08:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I'm watching "TE31 MB - BH topspin" Under "The Edge" section right now.

Later in the video William does some top spin balls. One thing that is obvious is that his wrist is amazingly fluid and relaxed looking. He might even be going a little too far but the back swing whip is amazing and I feel like his elbow doesn't do the odd twist at the end.

Ugh watching William hitting these backhands messes with my brain after watching LTT78. I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm talking about now.

I just watched TE31 and it's a reminder of just how good that backhand was. If I was going down to the hall tonight, that's the type of backhand I'd like to be hitting. Not many world class players felt comfortable playing to William's backhand. He was actually down the hall on Saturday playing with a 1500 level player and I saw some pretty big backhands.

I'm going to make a video on some of the hidden things going on with William's backhand and other great backhands. I think it's a good time.

I'm also going to make my favorite ever forehand topspin video. My current favorite is LTT62, but the next one will take over, for me anyway.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 08:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm going to make a video on some of the hidden things going on with William's backhand and other great backhands. I think it's a good time.

Finally we're going to go over Kreanga's backhand. I've watched so many videos of it and I'm still shocked how amazing it was.

Brett Clarke wrote:
My current favorite is LTT62, but the next one will take over, for me anyway.

It is your best video. Going to top it? Now I'm very curious.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Finally we're going to go over Kreanga's backhand. I've watched so many videos of it and I'm still shocked how amazing it was.

Brett Clarke wrote:
My current favorite is LTT62, but the next one will take over, for me anyway.

It is your best video. Going to top it? Now I'm very curious.

Ben's forehand in LTT62 is the perfect forehand and the video will always stand alone. There is nothing you can do to swing better and I'm completely certain that I'll never improve on it.

The problem is players still play bad forehands and the video has been around for a while. The explanation I give is correct, but it's not direct and targeted enough. It's not optimal if people can watch it and still have a bad shot.

Now I'm going to explain, via video, how everyone can easily use the logic on their forehand stroke so they can whip every shot. Same with the Backhand topspin. Yep, I'm also going to make LTT62 for the backhand topspin. I'll show you what you can't see because it's way too subtle. I'm going to attempt to show you where William's backhand power is coming from and how you can slowly learn to replicate it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155 ... 568  Next