OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 09:52 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Brett Clarke wrote:

The problem is players still play bad forehands and the video has been around for a while. The explanation I give is correct, but it's not direct and targeted enough. It's not optimal if people can watch it and still have a bad shot.

Brett, don't judge yourself too harshly - bad forehand persistence is frequently due to circumstances outside of your control ;) . Like laziness/limitations of TTEdge members *cough* pgpg *cough*.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 10:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pgpg wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

The problem is players still play bad forehands and the video has been around for a while. The explanation I give is correct, but it's not direct and targeted enough. It's not optimal if people can watch it and still have a bad shot.

Brett, don't judge yourself too harshly - bad forehand persistence is frequently due to circumstances outside of your control ;) . Like laziness/limitations of TTEdge members *cough* pgpg *cough*.

I hear you and thanks, but you'll know what I mean after LTT Whip Forehand 3. I hope to give you a totally different perspective about the shot and leave you with no doubt about how to use optimal mechanics.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 10:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So after all of the fun backhand stuff I came right home and tried it. Very first attempt. Always I need to get a little lower and maybe have shoes...hehe

I think I'm doing something wrong but it feels pretty good. I noticed that I'm working a lot harder to get the bat back and you can see the little butterfly logo shine.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

So after all of the fun backhand stuff I came right home and tried it. Very first attempt. Always I need to get a little lower and maybe have shoes...hehe

I think I'm doing something wrong but it feels pretty good. I noticed that I'm working a lot harder to get the bat back and you can see the little butterfly logo shine.

That is a fantastic backhand! That's about all I've got to say.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

That is a fantastic backhand! That's about all I've got to say.

It does feel pretty good with the extra back swing. Really easy to put down the line too. Previously I always felt a real struggle to go down the line. It also felt okay when later in the video I sped up the balls.

I think we need to talk about bat grip again. Like NL says, when the thumb is flat on the rubber it feels great for the backhand. Should we be switching grips for backhand and forehand?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 12:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
pgpg wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Indeed. The video has been around for a few months. I had been hitting crappy forehands from 2007 to pretty much last winter (with a 4 year gap in between) without being aware of the issues. I keep hitting crappy ones unless I play with the robot, i.e. pretty much all the time. Despite the fact that I tried really hard and summoned all my creativity in an attempt to circumvent my brain. Cancelling a bad habit that was there for that long is not easy and has nothing to do with the clarity of the video(s).

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 06:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Finally got to use some new backhand in a match situation. I missed long off the table many times - I don't mind this, much better than going in the net. I also had some quality shots that weren't blocked well enough (which this guy usually does block my backhand fine).

I still reached sometimes, but even reaching it produced a better quality ball all around.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 14:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The hardwork invested in learning the proper pivot starts to pay off. I routinely win several points per game by pivoting against long or half long serves. The other side of the story is that when I mentally prepare to get my forehand in play as often as possible, other returns deteriorate disproportionally. Which is no surprise since I heavily favored my BH loop on serve return previously. So those few fancy points win by pivots come with a high price. Hopefully I will adjust with time.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 22:54 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

NextLevel wrote:
A premature but expected congrats to Big D who should be breaking 2000 at some point this week after some spectacular performances at the NJTTC giant round robin today. Big D had heavy spin saying "who below 2000 plays a shot like that?!?!" Forum members who know Big D and have played him as well as those who have seen me lose to him for the better part of 2 years know that Big D was just procrastinating as usual.

Congrats again. And if this is truly premature, there is always September... lol.

Jinxed it ;( There is always next tournament, though.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 00:22 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
pgpg wrote:

Jinxed it ;( There is always next tournament, though.

Nah, I didn't. Gideon's rating is messed up in the system. He played two events the same weekend and they processed them in a way that left the system confused.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 04:53 

I've broken it my mind I don't care what the number in the system says :D

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 05:05 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

big d wrote:
I've broken it my mind I don't care what the number in the system says :D

Works for me. :up:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 12:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have a really silly question about the pivot. When I pivot against a push and employ the technique I used in the video with the robot, I get bamboozled. Here is what is going on: when I make the big lunge to the side, shift of my body weight creates a lot of forward momentum, which makes the ball go quite fast even if I don't want it to. Which predictably makes blocking for some of my opponents very easy. So how to pivot against a push and produce ball with moderate speed? If shorten the lunge step, I don't get out of the way of the ball and get cramped which is even worse. I can make a video if it is unclear.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 12:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Or I should keep that power shot and just place the ball better...

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 14:44 

If u want the ball to go slow and spinny u just have to make the contact thinner. Imo u don't have to change the stroke at all. The example to illustrate this that I can think of is bretts receivers edge video on pendulum serve where he uses a decent size motion and still manages to keep the ball to short and spinny

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 568  Next